• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Well I think I've officially gotten started on my prepping. Wife is on board. We put up 51 qt. of sweet corn. I have some more corn but I think I'm good for now. Getting a 1/4 of beef this week and then a half a hog later on. Also my wife found large cans of food at GFS for a lot Cheaper than Walmart and other stores.

Here's my daughter helping with the corn.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    very nice start and nice job including the family on this. i am still trying to get my family on board to help out as well.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Awesome start. Im going to start putting things away when funds clear up a bit. Glad to see so many on the forums able to take care of themselves in event of a disaster. +1!

piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    You have to start somewhere right? Great job getting the entire family involved.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    It is nice to instill things like this in the little ones at an early age. It will make her more independent later in life and more responsible I am sure. My parents got on board a couple of years ago and my sister and her family are starting to come around more and more. I still have the occassional friend or cousin that thinks they will just show up on our doorstep should something happen. I would likely help them out if need be but if they showed signs of wanting nothng but a handout they would be asked to leave. Not only have you started to become more self sufficient but just think about the cost savings on groceries. Also on your half a hog and quarter of beef. I have A LOT of experience with meats as I was a butcher most of my life and owned my own small slaughterhouse and retail meat shop. One thing to keep in mind is that you may not exactly like every cut of meat you get buying in bulk like that. So if you find there are cuts you don't like make sure you keep track of them. This way you can determine if it will be cheaper to buy from a grocery store or butcher shop when the cuts you do like go on sale or if it is better for you to buy a side or 1/4. If your family eats more round steak than they do rump roast then you may want to buy round steaks when they are on sale or have your rumps on you side or 1/4 ground into ground round. If your family doesn't like roast at all then you may be better off buying different steak cuts when they are on sale at the retail store.

Top Bottom