• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, this is a first. The first time I got called for jury duty, I got canceled at the last minute no less than 3 times. I finally got to go and the guy failed to appear.

This time, I didn't canceled. We'll see if I get seated or not.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've never made it to the first round. There's a possibility it's a case that involves a relative of my wife (victim). If so, I'll be gone quickly.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Enjoy. I've always dreamed of being on a jury, but now that I've been to law school, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I went for jury duty and got to the jury selection phase only once.
    We were seated in the back of the court room and they had their final 12 before I was called
    but what it looked like to me was the two attorneys were looking for sheeple that had no strong opinions on anything.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It's good to see people that want to serve. I hope you get picked, you'll enjoy it. Jury duty will give you a whole new outlook on the justice system.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    "a jury of your peers". Hah. If I'm ever on trial I sure hope it is.

Did your job have any issue with your absence? If
    I miss I have to trade with someone to
    Make up the shift or pay them our hourly wage. No vacation if you're already scheduled to work.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I enjoyed my Jury duty time last year; first time in my life that I got called and I was selected.

I still feel like the prosecution was trying to pull a fast one. It was a DUI case where the blood test came back at <.08. The field sobriety test was botched. And I still can't find the statue they handed us to review in comparison to the case.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You on a jury? This'll be RICH.

I've served a couple of times. Interesting and frustrating. I really wish more folks wouldn't try to dodge their civic duty. The jury pool ends up pretty shallow, and in need of some chlorine.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    I have only been called for it once and it was for federal jury duty. I was actually excited for it to an extent. It was kind of strange though, a guy I work with and myself were both picked at the same time, and I would assume the same case. Unfortunately, both of us never made it pass the selection process, even though we claimed it would not be a hardship on us on the questionnaire. It would have actually been easier if both of us made it.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been called and not been selected 3-4 times for local jury duty, but about 4 years ago I received a questionnaire for United States District Court. I had to fill out about 10-12 pages of info and figured that would be the last I heard. About a month later I received a summons to appear for Jury selection.

I had to report to the Federal Court and was surprised to find that there were only about 20 of us in the room. I was told that both sides had the opportunity to select or turn down potential jurors based on the answers we provided in the questionnaire. They said this saves a lot of time when they actually do the selection process in the courtroom. They took me in with the first 12 jurors and both sides accepted or declined jurors. Only two of the original 12 got booted. They called in two more and finalized a jury of 12. I was surprised that the were no alternate jurors.

The case was a religious discrimination case involving termination of employment with the City of Kendallville. We were in court for 5 days. I was really impressed with the process. After each witness testified, the judge would ask the jury if they had any question for the witness. If we did, we had to write them down and then the judge and both attorneys would discuss the question. If the question was allowed, the judge would read the question to the witness and then ask the juror if they were satisfied with the response. I never read about jurors being able to ask questions and have never seen this on TV or in the movies.

After the trial was over, the judge booted everyone out except the jurors and both attorneys. She then explained the very few Federal cases ever go to trial. Most are negotiated before trial. She let the attorneys from both sides ask us why we made the decisions we made. They let the jurors ask questions. We spent about an hour in this process and everyone learned something about the process.

I would gladly do it again. It was a great experience and everyone on the jury felt the same way.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    When I worked in Porter county last year, it was common for jurors to ask questions. I have only seen the jury do it a few times.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A few months ago I made it to the initial 12 selection process but must have failed during the questioning portion. Defense said no weapon was found but that a prosecution witness said the defendant had a glock and he was a gun collector so he knew all about guns etc etc. She asked if anyone had a problem with that and I called BS, I said in the dark with a gun pointed at you anything could look like a glock. I'm thinking the prosecution didn't like me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I received a questionnaire

about 10-12 pages of info

Dear Juror #34
    Here are invasions of privacy that we require you to report upon that violate your civil liberties and rights, specifically your right to privacy:

How many people are in your household?
    What are their ages?
    What are their relationships to each other?
    What are their occupations?
    What is your marital status?
    What is your level of education?
    What is your employment?
    How long have you been so employed?
    What did you do before that?
    Have you ever been charged or convicted of a misdemeanor? Explain.
    Have you ever been charged or convicted of a felony? Explain.
    Has anyone in your immediate family been convicted or served time? Explain.
    If so, how did you view your/their treatment by the judicial system?
    Financially, what is your annual household income?
    What hobbies do you enjoy in your free time?
    What magazines do you subscribe to?
    What newspapers do you subscribe to?
    How much television do you watch?
    What sports are you involved in?
    Do you have membership to any club, church, or organization?
    Do you participate in any volunteer activities? Explain.

Dear jury selection committee;
    I am so excited to serve on a jury. I'm a firm believer in jury nullification, and I'm sure that whatever BS law you've charged the defendant with breaking, it's unconstitutional and in need of nullification. See you in court!
    Sincerely,
    A.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm seated. There were 6 called up and only 1 got booted. I was the next called and then they selected an alternate. I'll try to divulge more after the trial is over.

Top Bottom