• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Let me see if I can hammer all of this out in one post...
    The DA/SA vs. striker fired vs. SAO decision... Are you going to be willing to carry a gun without a safety?
    I don't know what striker fired and SAO are. I'll have to look those up. No safety? I think I'd feel better if I had one.

I'm sure you shot an M&P 9C (cuz that's what RmQ has) but I'm not sure what single stacks you shot.
    I had Robby make a list for me so I could remember later. Here's the list he gave me:
    Full size handguns:
    M&P9 Pro, 5" Barrel Fiber optic (green) sight.
    M&P9 Full Size, 4.5" Barrel, Stock sights
    Taurus PT 99 Full Size - This had a de-cocker, and double or single stage trigger (heavy, metal frame)

M&P22 - Full size 22LR handgun

Compacts:
    22LR Revolver (Smith & Wesson) 3" Barrel. I forget the model. It was borrowed.
    M&P9C - 3.8" Barrel. Night Sights, custom apex trigger. 12+1
    Ruger LC9S - 3.8" Barrel. Stock sights. Single Stack 7+1

------------------------------------------
    Your brother had a:
    Full Size Springfield XD40. Similar to the M&P full size handguns. Uses a grip safety in the backstrap.

M&P Bodyguard 9mm? Compact handgun

Rachel had M&P Shield 9mm? Compact handgun

----------------------------------------
    Rifles, in order that you shot them:
    Ruger 10/22. 22 LR. With Axxiom Stock, Bipod, Vortex Crossfire II scope.
    M&P 15-22. 22 LR. AR Style platform. With cheap Sightmark reflex sight.
    M&P 15 AR. 5.56 NATO. Custom build with Black Magpul forearm and Magpul MOE stock. Eotech 512. BAD lever.
    DSArms AR. 5.56 NATO. Custom build with Olive Drab Magpul Forearm and Magpul ACS Stock. Vortex Strike Eagle Scope. Yankee Hill flip up front sight/gas block. BAD Lever
    I use my M&P Shield for a carry gun. I do prefer to shoot the compact and full size more, as I have big hands and get a better grip with the double stack, but for carry IWB I prefer the single stack. I can shoot the shield well enough to hit a man size target. If you didn't get a chance to shoot one, we can work on that. But, I recommend that for the versatility of carry options you are looking for.
    I'm not dead set on a double stack (or really anything else for that matter), but that's something that I found that I liked from my first experience shooting. I'm certainly willing to try other options.

Just beware there is no such thing as a "one gun for all situations". Once you get over that you'll be fine.
    I figured there wouldn't be a perfect gun--there are always trade-offs, right? I'm just focusing on narrowing my search. The closer I can get to the perfect gun the better, though.
    To really get the optimum results, you may need to start dressing around your gun a bit. Nothing crazy, just maybe looser shirts, untucked when you normally would tuck your shirttail, etc. If you are a skinny jeans and athletic cut polo person, your truly concealed weapon will be severely limited, but switching out to a normal, untucked polo will hide a mid size pistol fine. So just minor tweaks.
    I expected to have to make some minor wardrobe adjustments, but the better I can fit my gun of choice to my existing wardrobe the easier and more likely I will be to carry daily.

And Im a fellow lefty... dont worry about ambi everything... I only need ambi on my 1911 due to its manual safety. Everything else I have adapted. I find it is easier to adapt to the right hand world than to do things differently.

For instance I have a Gen3 G19, so its not ambi. Yet I have no trouble with the mag release nor the slide release (I just dont use the latter). I can pickup another person's G19 and rock out without missing a beat. You wont find me for instance reaching for my left hand mag release on Churchmouse's G19 :stickpoke: because I already am used to a RH gun.

You are welcome to try any of my guns and holsters as you start looking for what works for you.
    For shooting, I'm probably right-hand-dominant. I do a fair amount left-handed (including write) and I plan to holster off-body on my driver door when driving for Uber, so I certainly want to practice left-handed as well. As with double stack, being ambi might not be a necessity. But, it would be a plus. If you're shooting a RH gun left-handed, how do you release the mag? Use a finger on your left hand or switch the gun to your right hand and use your thumb?

My advice is worth what you paid.
    And the advice is, keep meeting INGOers, and shoot their guns.
    Bring ammo, you don't want to mooch. A lot of us don't mind spotting ammo for a noob, but if you're running through a buttload of ammo, bring some.
    Maybe buy a lunch or something for their trouble.
    Listen to what they say, but take it with a grain of salt.
    Because cars are like guns in that there are so many options, no one can tell you what you'd like.
    Most of us have started with one gun, and then moved on from gun after gun.

So, basically, shoot different guns. Try them out. Maybe take notes.
    That's my plan. I appreciate the tips on the etiquette as I wouldn't have known that. Robby was nice enough to let us shoot his guns with his ammo on his property. :)

Glock 19. Very good choice for a first gun.
    Shoots like a full size, but is small enough to conceal.
    15 round mags, holster choices and accessories out the ying yang, and extra mags are $20.
    If you don't like it, there's plenty of Glock 19 fans on here. You won't have trouble trading or selling it to get something else.

For a beginner, I would not recommend a "pocket pistol" or sub-compact.
    while appealing to the new gun owner, they are not really for beginners.
    Hammer out your skills with a Glock 19, then if you want something smaller down the road you will have the skills to handle it.
    :twocents:
    Certainly something to keep in mind. Thanks. I still plan to do plenty of practicing before my first purchase (and after, of course), so hopefully I will be proficient with whichever size I wind up choosing for my first pistol.

Revolvers?
    I tried a .22 revolver. It was ok, but I wasn't a fan of the long/heavy trigger and the DA/SA. Maybe if I practiced more with it, it might feel better over time. But, I was most comfortable with the pistols.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Might want to look at the FNH FNS9c. It has great capacity, manual safety if you want that option, ambi controls and a great little shooter. Parabellum in Avon has them available for rent. Night sights are also a factory option.

If you like, I would be willing to meet you at Parabellum or MCFG sometime soon to try a variety of different 9mm pistols. Maybe even some 9mm rifles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As to your question regarding a mag drop, I use my index finger. its quite easy when you get used to it. There is no more grip adjustment/contorting than when you use your thumb.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/b...o-series/models/thunder-pro-ultra-compact-9mm

As chipbennet mentioned up thread, don't overlook the Bersa UC pro series. It meets almost all of your criteria. It's also well made and reasonably priced.

Slightly smaller than a Glock 19 fully ambidextrous, has a safety and a decocker. It's a double action / single action which means the first pull is DA, after that the slide cocks the hammer to keep it in single action mode for follow up shots.

The 9mm version holds 13+1 and it's very easy to conceal. The only issue is there aren't many after market accessories or holsters for Bersas. Mags are also pretty expensive ($45-50 ea).

This was my first handgun and the first one I carried. I started like you. I was insistent on a manual safety. I carried it for about 8 months before I outgrew that notion.

I currently carry a G19, but the Bersa would still be in the rotation if it hadn't been stolen a couple of years ago.

IMG_7263_zpsn7pr6gne.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I was starting over brand new I'd go about picking differently than a lot suggest. I'd pick the most popular firearm platform among law enforcement and your average citizen carrier. Learn to shoot it, adapting yourself to it rather than shopping through all the options. Learn on the most popular platform, the one you are most likely to pick up off the ground. After you master it, you can specialize later if you choose.

Another less apparent virtue of this mentality is that guns, magazines, parts, holsters and all related gear is everywhere you go, including the wonderful INGO classifieds.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible for my first carry. I won't be able to carry while I'm at my day job (not allowed), but I want options for as many other possible scenarios as possible such as ankle, IWB, OWB, 3:00, 6:00, pocket and even off-body while driving for Uber. I know I'm going to go through that paranoid period when I start to carry and I will feel more comfortable with a smaller pistol to start with.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I'd stick with a gun you can get a full grip on if you're very new to handguns. Like some have said....These are all 9mm which would be an effective caliber and affordable for you to practice with. You can get ammo the cheapest at Walmart for 9.78/50 rounds of brass cased 9mm.

Glock 19
    M&Pc

are the two forerunners...I thought you said somewhere you wanted to keep the cost low.

I think you can pick up a S&W M&Pc for about $400

Also, there's Ruger SR9c I've heard good things about that gun and it's pretty cheap...I've seen $325 possibly cheaper!

Also...if anyone has a point blank vip membership they can bring you for free and rent guns for free, you just have to buy their ammo which normally runs around $13/box 50 (9mm) in case you want to try some out before you buy.

Not sure if the Carmel location is far from you or not. There's one in Greenwood as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I suggest compact over a subcompact.

And I would also suggest shooting a S&W M&P 9c and a Glock 19.

Those are the 2 guns I always recommend.

These would be my suggestions as well, with the addition of the Ruger SR9 or 9c as well. I recently was advising a friend, who was left handed (I know you are not, but you said ambi was important), who also was interested in a gun with a safety (nothing wrong with it, as long as you train with what you carry, and it becomes muscle memory to shoot... its not my choice, but I certainly don't have a bias against it), and he also had some other wants/needs on his list. I recommended these same guns.

Another recommendation I will add is to buy into a platform. A family of guns (Glock, M&P, or the Ruger SR series fit the bill here), that can share mags, holsters, etc within their family. Even if you think you will only have 1 gun now, that will not be the case. Buy into a platform where you can have potentially the full size, a compact and a subcompact that can share mags, have the same operating procedure (again, think muscle memory, etc) and potentially share holsters. It saves you money, gives you options, and keeps things simple.

Glock 19
    M&Pc

are the two forerunners...I thought you said somewhere you wanted to keep the cost low.

I think you can pick up a S&W M&Pc for about $400

Also, there's Ruger SR9c I've heard good things about that gun and it's pretty cheap...I've seen $325 possibly cheaper!

Agreed. I personally have not shot the Ruger SR series, but I'd think it would be worth checking out, along side a Glock 19 (yeah, I know you said safety, but still a good gun to evaluate), and the M&P series.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations. I certainly have my work cut out for me researching the different options and suggestions. For those who offered, don't be surprised if I take you up on your offer to shoot with you some time. Thanks!

Top Bottom