• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Take her to the Indy 1500 and let her handle EVERYTHING. Only she is going to know what fits her and would make her feel comfortable. Then, and only then, start talking different calibers and actions.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Let her pick it out! Don't let people tell you women must have a revolver. Don't let people tell you that something is too big or too small. Let her pick it out! Then...get to the range, get some training.

Just as a reference my wife choose the Walther PK380. Doesn't mean your GF will like that gun. Let her pick it out!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well. I do agree with Rock, she needs to feel up anything in everything that she can get her hands on. Put I'm going to beat my proverbial :horse: and say .22 revolver.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Remember it is her decision and you are there to provide input and advice. I assume this is for range time and personal protection with maybe a LTCH in the future? If possible, help facilitate opportunities for her to handle, and shoot if possible, a wide variety of "typical" carry firearms. It may be surprising what she likes.

My GF hated revolvers incl the most oft recommended j-frame. She loved G23/19, Sig 225, Bersa .380 and REALLY liked the Beretta 3032 as a carry piece. I have another friend who is quite petit and carries a commander .45 acp.

Finally, the best thing I did was arrange for someone else to give her a few hours of basic intro to shooting and safety. I am an NRA pistol instructor and a DNR hunter safety instructor, but no way was I going to move from boyfriend to instructor and back. :rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    malern

She has shown a good deal of interest and she does not like my .45's. I thinking she would do better with a smaller cal.

Why does she not like the .45? Because of recoil or difficulty in manipulating the slide. Either way this will answer some important questions.

1) smaller gun + bigger bullet = more recoil. This is all relative. A micro, pocket .380 can be quite a handful. So can the larger .40S&W or .45ACP

2) smaller guns or very large guns can have difficult slides to pull back. Smaller people may have trouble with this at first. Training helps, but a person has to be comfortable with their gun to start with. Also, smaller guns that do not allow a full grip might be more difficult for a person to learn to shoot well.

3) UltraLite guns usually kick harder. (see #1)

IMO Where to start. Glock 19, Smith & Wesson MP9, FNP 9mm, Ruger SR9, Taurus 85 revolvler (not UltraLite), Bersa 380, Walther PK380, Ruger SP101 revolver, maybe a LadySmith. All of these land in the roughly $300 - $500 price range (well maybe not the LadySmith), are moderate in size and weight, and readily available.

Lots of choices. Handle them all.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Let her try it, then keep a list of what she likes and ask this board, someone here will likley be willing to let her try exactly what she likes Handling them is good, but shooting them is where she will make the decision, if she loves holding the sig 226 but hates the DA/SA trigger thats a problem, also kick anyone in the teeth that blindly suggests a lady smith or small revolver. If she gets comfortable with a revolver fine, but don't get her one because some jerk told you to.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    See this thread in the Women and Firearms section https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/113382-my_wife_s_first_day_of_training.html

My wife saw first hand that revolvers are not as simple as everyone makes them out to be. And anyone who thinks that "a purty little thing" like your wife cant handle anything bigger or more "complicated" than a .22 revolver needs to take a step into the 21st century. My wife handles her Glock 19 like a champ. She wasn't too thrilled with the black, until i put a hot pink Houge grip sleeve on it. Now it is hers (she doesn't have to worry about me carrying it anymore).

Also, the one she picks doesn't have to be perfect, it is just the first step down the path of gun ownership. I can think of many times that I thought i knew what i wanted, then after I tried it a while realized that what i needed was something else.

I recommend Sheriff Ken Campbells class. Both I and my wife have taken it (her in the ladies only version) and were very impressed.

Good luck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    kick anyone in the teeth that blindly suggests a lady smith

But they are so darn purrrty! :D Kick em in the teeth if they suggest it because they are a chauvinistic prick. Otherwise lay down the cash big dog.

Now if the first thing the dealer hands her is the pink charter arms, be cautious. If the first thing the GF picks up on her own is the pink charter arms and that is what she wants, then it is what it is.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I actually took my wife to 21 rst Century in Bluffton. They spent a lot of time letting her try a lot of pistols out and found out what she liked. I can say it was a good starting point and made her more comfortable. My wife ended up wit a CW9 that is a blast to shoot.:);)

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Let her handle multiple guns and let her pick what fits her. Also a revolver is a good idea for someone who is not gun savvy

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    depends on what its purpose it? cause if its just for plinking, have her find a 22 that fits good to her hand, or for self defense go bigger. lord knows finding a pistol that fits perfect is hard to do and dont just pick 1 for her, if the gun doesn't feel right, odds are you won't learn to shoot well with it

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    My wife handles her Glock 19 like a champ. She wasn't too thrilled with the black, until i put a hot pink Houge grip sleeve on it. Now it is hers (she doesn't have to worry about me carrying it anymore).
    I took the wife to a gun shop the other day and she was bored till she saw a pink 22 i forget what it was i think it was a Walther she fell in love with it but she isn't ready to fire a weapon yet and so once i get mine she's going to the range with me just to watch and feel safer about it all.

Top Bottom