• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    What's a good choice for the newer basic models? I'm down to deciding on a Sprinfield Mil-Spec, Ruger SR 1911 or the Remington R1. All comments either way are much appreciated!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For the truest to form "1911" platform, you're not gonna get closer than the 70s clone Ruger.
    After that, it's all about the features and finish you want.
    Stainless? Blued?
    Extended function levers or stock? Ambi?
    Flat or arched mainspring housing?
    Swept beaver-tail grip safety or stock?
    Spur hammer or enhanced?
    Full trigger or short? Or skeletonized?
    Fixed sights or adjustable?
    Contrast? Fiber optic? Night sight?
    Stuff like that.... Happy shopping.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Thanks JetGirl. I am gonna have to just look at them, hold them and look at what feels like a solid pistol. Being that all I've ever owned are DAO's, I am unsure as to just how much work in maintenance I am going to have to learn. As far as the above mentioned features, I am not particular on stainless or blued. But I thought that features I may want farther down the road I can change out myself, once I've learned to take it apart and put it back together. The main point in getting one is for carry/HD and just general shooting. I am not looking for any advanced target pistol, but then again, I may purchase one and get the bug. I just had narrowed my choices at this point to the aforementioned models.
    Thanks!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Thanks JetGirl. I am gonna have to just look at them, hold them and look at what feels like a solid pistol. Being that all I've ever owned are DAO's, I am unsure as to just how much work in maintenance I am going to have to learn. As far as the above mentioned features, I am not particular on stainless or blued. But I thought that features I may want farther down the road I can change out myself, once I've learned to take it apart and put it back together. The main point in getting one is for carry/HD and just general shooting. I am not looking for any advanced target pistol, but then again, I may purchase one and get the bug. I just had narrowed my choices at this point to the aforementioned models.
    Thanks!

hehehehehehe

demasrv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    I don't mean to high jack this thread, but if I just want a .45 1911 for personal protection, and don't need all of the bells and whistles what should I be looking for? I've heard Springfield is a good brand but I don't know that much about just guns in general.

Jdsbfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I know we're expensive.......

Would like to reintroduce the schroeder bauman. Were still here. There were some statements made that our gun frame was a casting. Not true. Its actually machined from raw stock. The material is 17-4 stainless on the frame and slide. Very strong and tough material. There is a picture of the frame being machined on our facebook page. They are both then ceramic coated in the slide area for low coefficient of friction and wear resistance.

New commander model coming soon.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im assuming from your listed choices that your budget will be roughly $550.00 to $800.00. In that price range Id go with a Springfield but the Ruger is tempting too, if you can find one.

Between Ruger and Springfield your dealing with the two best in the industry CS and warranty wise, if that matters to you.

I vote Springfield,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Im assuming from your listed choices that your budget will be roughly $550.00 to $800.00. In that price range Id go with a Springfield but the Ruger is tempting too, if you can find one.

Between Ruger and Springfield your dealing with the two best in the industry CS and warranty wise, if that matters to you.

I vote Springfield,

Correcto mundo on my expenditure threshold. I like the Ruger from articles and reviews I've read but as you mention, trying to find one is another thing altogether. So I may lean toward a Springfield Mil-Spec

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Correcto mundo on my expenditure threshold. I like the Ruger from articles and reviews I've read but as you mention, trying to find one is another thing altogether. So I may lean toward a Springfield Mil-Spec

I honestly dont think youll be sorry going with the Springer. I picked up my Loaded from Bradis for ~850.00 before taxes. Ive had it for a few months now and put about 1k rounds through it of all kinds of ammo and so far its only had 1 mag related FTF, and accuracy I can honestly say, for me personally, it is the most accurate pistol Ive ever shot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I honestly dont think youll be sorry going with the Springer. I picked up my Loaded from Bradis for ~850.00 before taxes. Ive had it for a few months now and put about 1k rounds through it of all kinds of ammo and so far its only had 1 mag related FTF, and accuracy I can honestly say, for me personally, it is the most accurate pistol Ive ever shot.

Sounds great. I am basically wanting one for carrying and not worrying about scratches, etc. Just want one that is lower budget, highly reliable, accurate and rugged, which sounds just like the Springfield is.

But I know I am going to have to practice the hell out of it because I have always been a DAO pistol/revolver carrier and not sure of the feeling of carrying it with the hammer cocked. I am aware of the grip safety and thumb safety, but that is where the practice comes in for sure.

Thanks!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've had a great experience with my Rem R1. Even with some of the cheap mags I have, it's always gone bang. I don't carry it anymore, but wouldn't hesitate to carry it again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I think you would be happy with the Springfield Mil-Spec. I have one in stainless, and it is a well built 1911 for the price point.

If you knew you wanted different sights, or a different hammer, yada yada - it would likely make financial sense to get one with the features you want.

If you want a basic 1911 with mil-spec sights and hammer, and don't care about the bells and whistles, I doubt you could do much better for the cost.

The best part about Springfield is their customer service is excellent.

Ruger also took care of me the one time I dealt with them - and the Ruger 1911 I had the chance to fire was a nice gun also.

Between these two I don't think you can go wrong.s

Also, carrying a full sized 1911 is much more comfortable with a sturdy gunbelt and holster - so since you plan to carry it, I would look into that also - just in case anything you decide to get takes time to ship.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I think you would be happy with the Springfield Mil-Spec. I have one in stainless, and it is a well built 1911 for the price point.

If you knew you wanted different sights, or a different hammer, yada yada - it would likely make financial sense to get one with the features you want.

If you want a basic 1911 with mil-spec sights and hammer, and don't care about the bells and whistles, I doubt you could do much better for the cost.

The best part about Springfield is their customer service is excellent.

Ruger also took care of me the one time I dealt with them - and the Ruger 1911 I had the chance to fire was a nice gun also.

Between these two I don't think you can go wrong.s

Also, carrying a full sized 1911 is much more comfortable with a sturdy gunbelt and holster - so since you plan to carry it, I would look into that also - just in case anything you decide to get takes time to ship.

Thanks...that's a good idea on the holster and belt. Still undecided on R1 or the Mil-Spec, but you are correct, it's strictly just for an EDC. Later on down the road I will look into something to customize or go get an AR rifle. Haven't had one of those either and kinda have the bug to buy one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very good opinions and info regarding Rurer, Rem, Springer. All offer up some nice pieces in your budget range.
    A thought. I purchased a Springer Range officer with a few extras on it NIB. It came with adj. rear sights and 2 piece guide rod. The frame to slide fit was excellent and it is a tack driver. I was out the door with it for mid $700 range but that was last summer. Probably closer to $800 now. This was my 2nd one. Springer Loaded would be my next suggestion.
    No knock on the other brands as they are fine pieces.
    What ever you end up with I am sure it will be one of many as they tend to multiply.

Top Bottom