• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Since picking up my M&P Pro and falling in love initially I have found that like most relationships things are not always rosy. After about 100 rounds she started to jam and FTE as explained in an earlier post. After calling Smith they suggested a thorough cleaning and shoot it again. When I got home I noticed that the rear set screw had fallen out of the rear sight. Called Smith again and they sent a replacement screw no charge. Problem is that it was the wrong screw. Call them back and the guy says that they made a mistake and did not check the computer for the correct part number and will send me the correct screw. Another week later the part comes and guess what.....wrong darn screw. I call again and tell them nicely that I am getting frustrated and offer to send the gun in for them to fix it. I explained the jamming problem and the problem with the sights and he just says no, I'll send you the right screw. Clean up your gun and shoot it. Shouldn't happen any more. ????

I'll give them one more chance I guess but then I'm going to let loose.
    :ranton:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Feels good to vent every now and then, doesn't it? I try with my wife, but she doesn't always understand my male point of view.

Sounds like you're doing your best to communicate your disatisfaction with S&W, and I'm sure you've thought ahead to document EVERYTHING. During my customer service adventures, I start a call log documenting time, date, duration, person talked to and disposition of the issue every time. Make copies of all written correspondence.

Good luck! :yesway:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    bring it to me... and let me deal w/ smith and wesson... ill also try and fix your jamming issue.... if it gets to the point that i cannot ill send it back for you... they know not to mess w/ FFL's as we are the guys who move thier products. of course this route will probably be more expensive than just sending it back, but i sence your frustration and will help if i can....

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Since picking up my M&P Pro and falling in love initially I have found that like most relationships things are not always rosy.

I'll give them one more chance I guess but then I'm going to let loose.

Should have went with perfection from the get go.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would start doing things via e-mail. While I am not a fan of 'mass e-mails,' sometimes it is necessary to start sending an e-mail to various people within an organization to get something done. What I don't get is that you say the weapon was jamming and wouldn't eject, then you find a screw missing. Is the missing screw believed to be the cause of the weapon malfunction? It sounds to me you got a lemon M&P.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    bring it to me... and let me deal w/ smith and wesson... ill also try and fix your jamming issue.... if it gets to the point that i cannot ill send it back for you... they know not to mess w/ FFL's as we are the guys who move thier products. of course this route will probably be more expensive than just sending it back, but i sence your frustration and will help if i can....

Do you do warranty S&W Warranty Repair?? Curious though, as I've never dealt with gun issues, through a Gunsmith, under warranty, how is the repair cost handled. I know when I sent my Ruger back for an issue, all I was out of pocket was the initial 2nd Day Air cost for UPS. They handled the rest. Thanks!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Update. I called back and although everyone was at lunch......:xmad:...I finally got through to someone who took matters into her own hands and e mailed me a shipping label and instructions to send it back for repairs. Went out FedEx this afternoon on their dime. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Indy. Thanks so much for the offer. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Over the years I have found Smith & Wesson's customer service to be the best I have ever dealt with. It's unfortunate that your experience was like this. I'm sure they will fix it for you.

Glocks: Keep working you'll hit that 1,000 post count before you know it!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Sometimes its worth it to own a little stock in the companies you spend your money with.

Had a little bit of a concern ONCE with T/C shortly after they were purchased by SWHC.

Got aggravated, found an investor contact email, the concern was resolved in less than an hour - with follow ups a week and a month later.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Since the Pro-Glock/Anti-M&P crowd want to turn this into "should have bought a Glock" soap box, I will have to point out what others at Glock Talk say about Glock sights. I'll keep the subject on the sights...

I thought the whole "front factory sights fall off" was BS until mine fell off my 21 the other day. Probably just going to replace with a factory steel screw on.

I've heard Glock perfection stops at the top of the slide. I agree. I always replace mine with XS or Heinie. Just my opinion.

You'll get exactly what you pay for with the oem Glock plastic sights.

I snapped the front sight off my G23. I was taking a class and we where required to draw the weapon weak hand only simulating you lost use of your strong arm and still need to fight. To do it you partially pull it out rotate it 180 degrees re-adjust your hand and draw it cross draw. I was using a hard kydex holster and it got snapped off in one of the turns and after the drill I had to go back to my backup.

My 19 came with them. I honestly liked them, but my front sight would turn sometimes. Like the sight was loose or the bottom of it that keys into the oval slot was worn. I straightened it a few times before broke down and ordered some Heinies S8 Tritiums. Couldn't be happier.
    Though I have to say, invest in a sight pusher. The extra bill dropped on a good pusher is worth it.

my rear plastic sight popped out twice

the plastic front sight will also wear down with repeated holster presentations.

i now have trijicons.

i don't think you'll find a police dept in this country that keeps the original plastic glock sights on.

not sure why the maker of some of the most durable pistols in the world chooses to stick some cheap *** plastic sights on them....

LEO response to the above quote.
    Most of us don't replace them because of liability concerns. We replace them because the sight picture sucks.

Another LEO response to the above quote.
    that's the truth, the whole truth and nothin......

the only thing I've ever broken on a Glock is the plastic sights. 2guns at that!

True Story...

Many years ago, I went out and purchased my First BRAND NEW glock 26, I was so proud, I just had to show my buddy who had one. I get down to his house after just purchasing it and find that the front sight is missing, it fell out between the shop and his house, while in the case...

That was enough for me, I now change out all my sights with steel sights.

I always replace the front sight with the factory steel. I had a plastic front fly off my 17 while shooting a plate match. Ever since it's steel for me. I hear the newer glocks have plastic bolt on front sights which may solve the problem.

Glocks are a bit like Harley-Davidsons. The first thing everybody I know did w/a Harley was swap out the pipes and the air cleaner (w/remap for the fuel injection guys). With Glocks it's, swap out the sights and do something w/the crappy trigger.

Accuracy is easy...PRECISION is the hard part...This is why cheap plastic sights will never do for me.

Are they that bad? No, they're worse! They're cheap, flimsy, and fragile. They don't have to be dropped to break off. A minor bump is all it takes.

Out of the box, my G26 rear plastic sight was dinged on the inside edge of the aperature, making the sight picture irregular - I believe it was riding against the cleaning rod or brush in the case. I didn't sweat it since I knew I was going to replace the sights anyway. Did make me think how they'd hold up under concealed carry conditions, but not much.

On the other hand, for hard use weapons, they suck miserably. Anyone who has ever removed the plastic front sight can tell you just how easy they are to remove. They won't break, but you can rip them right out of the slide. FYI, my standard method of removal of the factory front sight is... grab sight with needle-nose pliars and pull. Weapons that are for hard use such as SWAT/SRT or military weapons will end up losing front sights. The plastic rear sights aren't much better either, as they are too easy to move in the dovetail. If you FUBAR a room entry and bump your weapon into a door frame or you get into a ground fight with your weapon holstered (depending on holster), your rear sight can get moved enough to severely affect POI. I actually saw one rear sight get knocked so far over that it fell out when the pistol fired... luckily it was practice.

I'm tired of cutting and pasting, but I think you get the picture. (This was info from one thread on the subject of Glock sights... It could go on forever.)

Have fun with your M&P once it is returned by S&W.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I now have some original Glock sights for sale...... I will be posting in classifieds shortly.

Ha ha ha ha. That's great. I never realized that Glock sights were that bad.

I love my M and Ps. Sorry to hear that John is having issues. SW had better take care of him. I hear more issues with the Pros and Longs for some reason, especially the sights.

Top Bottom