• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awallis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    After a lot of reading and thought, I'm leaning towards the XDm 3.8" 9mm compact. I liked shooting my friends xdm 4.5" .40 but haven't had the chance to shoot the 3.8. I'm 5'5, about 140 and have larger hands for a girl.

Your experienced opinions are sought!

Second question:

I do not have a LTCH and will be most likely moving to Cincinnati very soon. If I get my lifetime permit and move, will they restate it if I move back into Indiana? Or should I wait and just get Ohio's ccw?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I always like shooting before I buy. I know that is nowhere near the answer you wanted, but the guns that I love / fit me will not always fall into the same category for you, so it is the best I can give.

Obviously when buying from a dealer, this is not always a given option, since that turns a new gun into a used gun. When buying used from individuals, often times they will let you. If you bought from an individual, chances are they will want to see your license, so maybe get that squared away first?

I own and XDm .40 and carry it often, and love it. I have shot many rounds through a friend's 9mm and have no complaints. I prefer the heavier round, but I can also see the drawbacks of carry (ive got about 50 lb's and 5" on you). Different strokes for different folks - as much as people talk up "stopping power", I could put someone down with a 22 if I needed to.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Pops did have a XD Compact in 9mm in their rental fleet.

But don't buy the XD without looking at the M&P Compact. Grip is much nicer... :D

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    If you know for sure your moving to ohio wait and get your CCW there .
    you can always get indiana's LTCH if you move back .

I have never heard anyone complain about the XDm you wont go wrong with it , as the previous posters stated you are better off if you can shoot a gun before you buy just to make sure you like it .
    But since you have experiance shooting an XDm you pretty much know the gun ...Not that much differance between the 2 , the recoil will probably be about the same going from the 4.5 inch in .40 to the 3.8 inch in 9 mm .

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah shoot before you buy but don't buy from Pops haha. Yeah wit on your LTCH if you might be moving and get one for Ohio.

I have shot sub compacths and 5 inch guns on the same day, subs are just more violent to me but I also have hands that wear an XL glove.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Check out the FN Herstal FNX9. It's got a 4" barrel and is fully ambidextrous. It's got a safety so you can carry it cocked and locked which is uber cool

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    S&W M&P 9mm Pro Series (4.25")

Best gun I've ever owned.

Give a serious look to the M&P line from Smith & Wesson. They are worth that look.

Vanguard.45

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    After a lot of reading and thought, I'm leaning towards the XDm 3.8" 9mm compact. I liked shooting my friends xdm 4.5" .40 but haven't had the chance to shoot the 3.8. I'm 5'5, about 140 and have larger hands for a girl.

Your experienced opinions are sought!

I have (new a month ago) the XD 9mm 3" Sub compact and love it. If you've shot the 4.5", then the 3.8 with the full size mag will feel the same through the grip. With the short ('compact') 13 round, I have do not problems with the grip. [i.e. I can get all 3 fingers on the grip, and the bottom of the grip is below the meaty part of my palm; so the grip is very comfortable to me. Some other Sub-compacts the grip is to short to fill my hand and it affects accuracy / consistency] I like the 3" barrel better for CC. (SEE BELOW ON THIS) ... If you liked the Service Size in .40, you'll probably be very happy with the compact/ sub compact ... and for a self defence/concealed carry pistol - I didn't feel like I needed to spend the extra on "M" features, plus I wanted the shorter barrel / smaller more compact pistol. oh and my short barrel is getting better accuracy as I get used to it. Last range trip I had 11 of 12 in the 'head' of the target at 10 yds. Its is getting better as I shoot it more (cause it couldn't possibly be me getting better :rolleyes:)

Second question:

I do not have a LTCH and will be most likely moving to Cincinnati very soon. If I get my lifetime permit and move, will they restate it if I move back into Indiana? Or should I wait and just get Ohio's ccw?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

Depending on how soon you move, you may just want to wait - for a few reasons -
    1) OH does NOT recognize IN LTCH (unless they've changed that within the last 3 months).
    2) if you MOVE OUT of the state, my understanding is the IN RESIDENT LTCH becomes VOID.
    3.) SO IF you move back you would need to 're-apply' for the IN resident permit.
    4.) I am not totally familiar w/ OH laws, but they may have added requirements:
    4a) Classes / training / waiting time??
    4b) Concealed ONLY ?? (note above) - meaning DO NOT PRINT/ EXPOSE weapon - or you can be cited. (some states are very strict about this). So this might be a reason for you may want to consider the XD in 3" (just a thought)

I would investigate the laws and look at the time frame in which you are moving.

Another LTCH /CCW option would be
    1. get a 4yr IN license to save some $$. You still need to have this if you plan to carry while a resident here, IN does NOT recognize out of state licenses for IN residents.
    2. And get a Utah (or FL) CCW permit which is accepted by OH. -
    3. Then when you move you're still covered (possibly) w/ the Utah - until you get the OH Permit. ... its more hassle and headache and $$$$ ... oh and time; the Utah permit requires a class.

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife has long fingers (college basketball player) and she prefers a Glock 26 with a model 19 mag and an A&G grip spacer to fill her hand out! Before that, it was a Beretta Model 84 Cheetah .380acp. Revolver grips and small stuff just don't work for her!

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I would go with a Glock. But, if its your first gun, I would go with a revolver until your more experienced.

So long as you are committed to learning, practicing and understanding the gun - I don't agree that a first handgun needs to be revolver. My wife is starting out - but she said (of WHEN she gets it) - "It will be MY gun, I learn to take it down, I will clean it, I will know how clear it; understand it and carry it" - if you just want something around and you aren't going to learn to use it ... then maybe you 'should' go with revolver. this is just IMO. ... but I simply refuse to believe that its too complicated. ... that would be like saying - you need to learn to drive on an automatic transmission. (I know ...most do now) ... I HATE that ... if you learn to drive w/ a stick - you can drive either, and you drive the stick better than if you learn it later. (sorry for the rant ... best analogy I got on short notice) ... just my :twocents:

My wife has long fingers (college basketball player) and she prefers a Glock 26 with a model 19 mag and an A&G grip spacer to fill her hand out! Before that, it was a Beretta Model 84 Cheetah .380acp. Revolver grips and small stuff just don't work for her!

My wife is the same way. Her hand are about the same size as mine. We didn't think she liked the Glock, ... or we might have a G26 w/ the G19 mags instead of my XD. But without the full mag and spacer - My wife wouldn't want to carry it - Like said above w/ the revolver grip - the standard 26 grip is just 'too small' for her. ... although I wouldn't mind having the 26 for her and spending for the extra mags and spacers ... and keep the small ones for when you just need a much smaller profile (like it HAS to be CC and its harder to do). ... OH ... and now that she's shot more - she thinks she likes the G19 best. Go figure.

Back to the OP - if you haven't tried others - you might want to. The suggestions are all good. BUT, if you are set on the XD / XDm and like it ... its a good choice IMO.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    hello from ohio

Per the CC I would wait until you get to Ohio and get your permit there. You will need to go through a handgun basics course. They are offered at most of the ranges and if you check the local paper there will typically be some advertised there. There are also links to instructors on the ohio attorney general website. Turnaround time really depends. If you have nothing on your record you can get them as quickly as the next day. You'll need to wait until you are a resident for 45 days or more before applying.

If you make it up to Columbus there are a couple ranges there that have popular handguns to rent. I'm sure there are some in Cinci but I haven't been down there in years. You best bet is to shoot them first and find out what you like. Much cheaper to get the right pistol the first time. XDM compact isn't a bad choice.

awallis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks for all of the input

Thanks! I really do appreciate it. I'll wait and go through the Ohio process I don't want to have to pay twice in such a short time. I might have if I knew they wouldn't void out the lifetime part. I go to the range already about once every 6 weeks or so and once I own, I'll go about once a month so the practice, cleaning, training part won't be in issue. I'm just not drawn to the revolver, I have looked. I will check out the M&Ps.

I'm already down in Cincy but Indiana is still my legal residence. I was here for school and just graduated. I've held off the permits and purchase for money and parental issue (not overly gun friendly) as the permits would be going to their house first.

Thanks again!

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    My girlfriend just bought her first gun today. We started shopping for her a gun a while back. The best thing she did in my opinion was look at, handle, and rent several guns before she purchased one. When she finally found a gun with all of the features she liked combined with something that was comfortable she bought it without hesitating. After her first trip to the range with it tonight she was really happy. Don't rush it, take your time and make sure it's both what you want and feel good shooting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom