• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Hi, I got my first handgun back dec 23rd and I just got my permit on saturday. I think it would be safe to say I am a rookie at carrying. (I grew up with guns, just never carried before).

First off, let me say that I feel totally confident in my weapon (glock 19) and I trust it with one in the chamber. I believe in the "I dont see the point of carrying unless you are ready to go" mentality.

My question, how long did it take to feel comfortable carrying and carrying a hot gun with no safety but what is between your ears? Its just strange for me. I have been brought up my whole life (because I never carried) with, ok shoot, unload, check the weapon to make sure its empty, put it in the case, put it in the gun closet. I TRUST my weapon to not go off, but I dont trust myself fully yet.

I think its easier for my to carry hot when I am outside my house, do you feel different when you are in your livingroom compared to when you are out?

Do you guys take your gun out if you are sitting down. I dont mean sitting upright like you were eating dinner. I mean, laying on the lazy boy watching tv.

Do you take your gun out when you drive? Im wondering if there could be any problems because of the contour of the seat.

I have a crossbreed supertuck with an awesome trigger guard, I just feel strange. If a gun isnt in use ive always had it unloaded. Now that I am old enough, and have taken the proper legal steps, its strange carrying all the time, let alone with a "ready to go" gun.

Every second I am getting more comfortable with it and the trust is building. I was just wondering what your experiences have been and if you have any tips or tricks to go from slightly nervous to fully trustworthy.

(like I said I trust it, please dont suggest a revolver, the g19 is my gun.)

Thank you!!!! :rockwoot:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It won't take long to get comfortable to having it on you. I feel naked on those occasions that I cannot legally have it on me.:xmad:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have the feeling that is going to happen to me now every time im on campus (a block from my house grrrrrr)

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    First and foremost, congrats on now being able to carry your weapon. Second, congrats on being able to realize that there are things that you are still uncomfortable with and dealing with that accordingly.

Now, I grew up (and even as an adult) shooting guns that had external safeties, so buying my M&P40c with no external safety (other than whats between my ears as you put it) was somewhat uncomfortable at first. Honestly, for me, it wasn't me that I was uncomfortable with myself, it was the gun. To prove to myself that I could trust both me and the weapon, I racked the slide with the mag out (therefore making the gun ready to fire except without a round in the chamber), inserted the mag and carried it this way for a couple weeks. I never heard that dreaded "click" that I was worried about. Thats when I realized I could trust the gun. Shortly after that, I started carrying hot, and have been for a couple of years now.

As for carrying hot at home, the only exception is when I'm playing with the kids. If I'm going to be wrestling around with my two very young children playing jungle gym on me (which does happen almost daily right now), I do take my gun off and put it up. Other than that, it's on my side pretty much all the time. I trust my gun, I trust my holster, I trust myself, so nothing is any different than when I'm away.

I (YMMV) leave it in it's holster on my person even when I'm in my truck, many people don't and chose to place their in the console or whatever, I just chose to leave it where it is. Some vehicles are more comfortable than others to have it on my side, but for me it's a matter of trained memory. God forbid something ever happen, but I don't want to be having to think about whether my defensive option is in the glove box, the console, or on my hip. It's on my side, where it always is, and reaction will take my hand to that location. It's what I practice when I'm standing so why would driving (or sitting on the couch) be any different.

Truth be told, carrying is something that was uncomfortable (at least a little bit) for most everyone when they first started doing it, myself included. It just takes a little time and it will begin to feel normal (actually naked without it). Very few (and I mean very few) people will ever make your weapon if you carry concealed correctly. And truthfully, so what if someone does actually see it, your legal, it's legal, and you're not out causing trouble so no worries. You'll continue to generally guard your weapon side to keep others (or in my case my kids as well) from bumping into it not out of fear that it'll go off, but because you don't want your kids' head hitting a chunk of steel covered by no more than a tee shirt. You just begin to naturally guard that side of your body.

I can't and won't recommend doing something that you yourself are not comfortable with, but trust me that the comfort will come with time. Hope this helps, your not the first and won't be the last to have questions and concerns in this area. Good luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You will be good with it sir!
    But don't hang on this, "(I grew up with guns, just never carried before.)"

That thinking has screwed a lot of shooters. With all due respect, don't neglect to continue to learn. Safety is an often neglected area. Eyepro, earpro, and the Four Rules are often neglected due to never being understood.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I bought my first handgun (Glock 17) in March, 2010. I got my LTCH in May and started carrying in a Don Hume IWB holster. At first, I felt like everyone was staring at me while I was carrying. I kept my arm up against my side pushing the gun into me anytime I was in public.

After awhile, I got used to the feeling of being in public with it and it started to feel natural. I never really had an issue with the chambered round thing. As far as the car goes, I carry at 3oclock on my right hip and when I get into the car, I just ride the gun forward a bit and it feels fine.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It won't take long to get comfortable to having it on you. I feel naked on those occasions that I cannot legally have it on me.:xmad:

Coach is right. At first you will feel like you are naked and everyone is looking at you, and that they must certainly know you have a gun, lol! But soon not having it is like not having your phone, or wallet.

I generally don't sit around the house with one in the holster and while driving I tend to take it out for comfort and easy access. (Seatbelt can be in the way)

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I have carried for a couple of years now. I was that way at first, thought everyone new I had it on me. I learned real quick, they don't. It's like wearing a new watch or a wedding ring, at first you screw with it and adjust it, next thing you know you forgot you were wearing it. I know it's not exactly the same but, everything involved with improving your skills with a firearm is in repitition and practicing proper habits. You'll do fine.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It's like wearing a new watch or a wedding ring, at first you screw with it and adjust it, next thing you know you forgot you were wearing it.

^^This
    People will say how can you forget you have a gun on.
    It does happen, Been there Done that.
    It can also have the opposit affect, new holster,or pants and it doesnt sit right youll find yourself adjusting it.
    As for the car , I usually carry at 3-3:30 position. when I get in the car it slides to the 4-4:30 position

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hi, I got my first handgun back dec 23rd and I just got my permit on saturday. I think it would be safe to say I am a rookie at carrying. (I grew up with guns, just never carried before).
    Congrats.
    First off, let me say that I feel totally confident in my weapon (glock 19) and I trust it with one in the chamber.
    I hope by "totally confident" you mean that you've set a standard for reliability and your firearm has met that. Since you've only had this gun a month, you must have been shooting a LOT so far.

My question, how long did it take to feel comfortable carrying and carrying a hot gun with no safety but what is between your ears? ...I TRUST my weapon to not go off
    As far as "trusting your weapon", remember...it's a machine. Machines do fail.
    I carry cocked and locked, but I have no misconceptions that any or all of the safeties on my 1911 might go belly up at any time... I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, I'm just saying there shouldn't be a blind trust of a piece of machinery.
    As for "how long to feel comfortable", not long after getting good training.
    I think its easier for my to carry hot when I am outside my house, do you feel different when you are in your livingroom compared to when you are out?
    I don't notice any distinction between the two...or anywhere else.
    Do you guys take your gun out if you are sitting down.
    I never do.
    If I'm awake/dressed, it stays on me and holstered. I never unholster it until it's time to jump into my jammies. :):
    Do you take your gun out when you drive?
    Nope. I do, however, fanangle the seatbelt and the captain's chair arm so that I have 100% immediate access and ease of draw. :yesway:

All that being said, look into some really good training. :)

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I suggest you take some formal training classes...Carrying is one thing but training on how to draw your weapon from conclealment, recognizing and practicing in identifying when and where to draw and bieng prepared to fire is another.

Getting used to "drawing" a "hot" weapon is different from just carrying. A lot of accidents occur in the drawing stage, especially with weapons that have no"safety". So I reccommend a class or two and regular practice in drawing and firing to instill that muscle memory of palcing your finger on the frame and not moving to the trigger until you are ready to fire.

I have taken several classes and it is amazing to see how many so called experienced shooters keep their fingers resting on triggerrs when not in firing postion.

Congrats....and practice.:twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If what you are worried about is the gun going off in your pants, spend the money and get a GOOD holster.

Thats what prevents a Glock or M&P or whatever from accidentally going off.

The HOLSTER is your manual safety, when the gun clears the holster all bets are off but shooting yourself is likely not the issue at that point.

When I carried a M&P it stayed in the holster. I put the holster on with it in the holster, I took it off with it in the holster. The holster, is your safety with a striker gun.

Getting that into your head, and trusting THE HOLSTER, will be the key for peace of mind carrying a poly gun as a CCW.

In my opinion of course.

I carry my gun in the appendix position, pointing straight at my nuts, and major arteries. So yeah, eventually you get to the point where you trust the gun not to go off. :)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I suggest you take some formal training classes...Carrying is one thing but training on how to draw your weapon from conclealment, recognizing and practicing in identifying when and where to draw and bieng prepared to fire is another.

Getting used to "drawing" a "hot" weapon is different from just carrying. A lot of accidents occur in the drawing stage, especially with weapons that have no"safety". So I reccommend a class or two and regular practice in drawing and firing to instill that muscle memory of palcing your finger on the frame and not moving to the trigger until you are ready to fire.

I have taken several classes and it is amazing to see how many so called experienced shooters keep their fingers resting on triggerrs when not in firing postion.

Congrats....and practice.:twocents:

Not to ... disagree.. but I am about to do just that.

I have never personally seen or even heard of someone having issues with shooting themselves on the draw, but I have when it comes to reholstering.

Your finger isnt ON the trigger as its coming up and out of the holster, but it IS after firing, when you need to remember to take it OFF before you reholster.

I would stress that the critical "Dont shoot yourself" moment is not on the draw, but on the reholstering.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I forget who said it, but it had to do with your holster and weapon "was to be comforting , not comfortable".

Thats Clint Smith, and frankly, its BS, and an excuse to buy a cheap ill fitting holster and just live with the pain day in and day out.

Its 2011, and there are ways to fit a fullsized gun and its holster to your body with perfect comfort.

Top Bottom