Getting a new handgun, can anyone recommend safety equipment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    As in, gun locks, stuff like that. I have no idea where to begin. Amazon links would be awesome. I don't want and can't afford a safe right now so that's out. Suggestions for things to secure the gun and ammo would be great, thanks! :yesway:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    What about a small lock box? You can get them for around $70. I don't know your situation. If you have small kids in the house, that don't grasp the safety concept of guns, a box or small safe is monumental for safety. Now, if you don't have that problem, invest in a good holster.

In my situation my two little brothers know they're my guns, and not toys. So I don't have that problem.. I keep my ammo in clear plastic boxes, Yanno the kind with snap tops. I think glad makes them. They work great if you have a ass ton of shells or other bullets.

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I really like the Gun Vaults. I got one for the wife and I to store our nightstand guns. Easy access under stress, and I feel better knowing the kids can't get in them. Not the biometric locked model, just the 4 button code model. I think it is called the MiniVault and runs about $150.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Which gun are you getting? Several semi auto pistols have a mag disconnect which effectively renders them unusable. If you have somewhere to secure the mag(s) you wouldnt necessarily need to secure the whole firearm.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    most new guns come with a lock

This ^^

Your cheapest option would be a cable lock and most guns come with one.
    You can even get one for free in some police stations that are part of a programm, forgot the name, something about protecting children.

You can even use this lock to secure the gun to furnitures if you dont have a safe.

You can also get a lockable box (ammo box, tool box, anything made of metal) with a padlock for cheap if you cant spend lots of money on a safe.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    If your gun doesn't come with a cable lock, I think police have been given a bunch of them to give out to anyone who needs them. I think it's Project ChildSafe or something like that.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As in, gun locks, stuff like that. I have no idea where to begin. Amazon links would be awesome. I don't want and can't afford a safe right now so that's out. Suggestions for things to secure the gun and ammo would be great, thanks! :yesway:

Well, i am looking at the Sentry 19 gun convertible locking cabinet. It will give me the versatility to store my guns all under lock and key for many years. And I like having shelves for my handguns.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I got a real good piece of safety equipment...It was completely free!

I keep my booger-picker off the bang switch!

Oh, and a holster, that cost a bit. After that I was good!

NAM67-68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    I never locked my guns up and they were loaded at all times. My daughter grew up around them from an infant and never touched them until I took her to the range and taught her how to shoot. I keep a loaded Glock 22 on my nightstand at night and on my hip at all times when I am dressed. I used to keep a loaded AR(SP1) beside my bed also but I now just rely on the Glock. Honey Creek Square Mall doesn't allow visible weapons, but that is about the only place that I don't carry openly and of course Federal buildings. If someone breaks in, I want instant access to my weapons.

Top Bottom