• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    FRS radios-You will be extremely lucky to get 3 miles out of them, 45 miles will never happen unless one person is in the space shuttle and the other on the ground.

If you are indeed 30 miles from home, put a pack on, with a small load out and just do it. All you will learn farm more doing this. Take notice of areas to hide, resupply water, choke points etc.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Talkabout® MR350R - Motorola Two-Way Radios - Motorola Solutions USA

Which are rated at 35 miles. This summer I was out on lake Huron on a jetski and rode out in a straight line from the house and was only able to get 9 miles before it really degraded, but was still able to understand what was being transmitted. In the city 1.7-2.4 miles if the normal (out of a vehicle and the other radio outside as well) If I was in a vehicle and the other radio was in the house maybe a mile give or take.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as the two way radios go I've got a pair of the motorola 25 mile radio's and I've take them on many hunting trips. Generally speaking in Ontario with hunters spaced about 2 or 3 miles apart you're lucky if the guys on the far ends can hear each other. The woods are incredibly thick up there and I always start those kinds of trips with fresh batteries in the radios.

I'd love to find something better.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ham radio is really the only option. VHF is better in the trees than UHF. UHF is better getting through buildings.

Its really about antenna height. You need a radio you can add some coax and an antenna to.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Knowledge is portable, study up on E&E methods. USAF manuals, a book called 6 ways in 12 ways out is a good read. Gives good basic gear lists

Water is more important than most items you listed, add some more collapsible water containers, I prefer Platypus bottles.

Temporary year round shelter can be as simple as the shell from a quality winter jacket, the 3/4 length ones with removable insulated liners. Beats the hell out of ponchos and in winter just add the liner to your gear. I have used Columbia jackets like these for 20 years in conditions from zero degrees, 50mph in a boat in rain or hunting all day in rain right at freezing temps. I keep it folded flat with a 511 vest in a small shopping type basket that you carry and small Kifaru pack on top of that in the basket, then my tilley hat on top.

Fire, fire, fire. Water, water, water. Columbia Jacket, Tilley hat, Various gloves, boots, sunglasses, binoculars, compass, waterproof maps and maps in a sealine case, 2 handguns and some carbs and of course my pack

The rest is gravy on a 30 mile hike, but for quick cooking fire step down to an esbit stove and maybe just the aluminum cup that came with the volcano stove. Really you can even dig a hole, toss in an esbit cube or triox bar but the esbit stove packs small and stores the fuel inside it.

If you want to carry the water bottle with that swedish stove, ditch the cork and get a 1 1/4" expandable T handle bilge plug from West Marine or any place.
    http://www.marine-products.com/seachoice-boat-drain-plug-twist-turn-type-1-1-4in-brass-50-18861.html

Last edited:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Ham radio is really the only option. VHF is better in the trees than UHF. UHF is better getting through buildings.

Its really about antenna height. You need a radio you can add some coax and an antenna to.

how about a satellite phone? :D

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    so the verdict is still out on whether to "bug out" or to "bug in" but one thing is for certain - in the event of a SHTF scenario, my getting back to my family quickly is paramount importance. I work regularly about 30 miles from my home, my wife and my children. Getting back to them in every scenario has to be the first order of business. I have for years kept a backpack and change of clothes (I work in a suit/tie) in the trunk. The contents of this "get home bag" has evolved and I would like to hear from INGOers and hopefully take away some good suggestions. 30 miles would take a minimum of 9-10 hours of deliberate moving to make it. With protection, safety from the elements, food/hydration and comfort in mind - what would your bag include. I think it is imperative to keep the pack to under 20lbs or it isn't realistic.

Here are a few of the items in my very civilian and inconspicuous looking backpack:
    • 9mm s/a with 3x 15 rnd magazines carried in inexpensive nylon shoulder rig
    • high calorie Mountain House meal
    • 2 Cliff bars (they won't melt)
    • Swiss volcano stove (boil water with nearly any fuel), Bic lighter, 2 Trioxane fuel tablets
    • Aquamira filter straw (filters up to 20 gallons)
    • collapsable 1.5ltr water bladder (from Camelbak)
    • 50' paracord
    • very sharp fixed blade knife with a stout 6"-8" blade
    • multi tool
    • 4 hand warmers
    • med kit with guaze, alcohol wipes, guaze, rubber gloves and a tourniquet. I need to spring for a "Halo Bandage" or two. Also has pain killer, anti-histimine and anti-diarrheal
    • quality flashlight with Lithium batteries (not installed)
    • at least 6' duct tape
    • poncho
    • sewing kit
    • Space Blanket
    • dozen heavy duty zip ties
    • box of quality new razor blades
    • $40 in five dollar bills
    I also keep a small duffle in the trunk with an old pair of athletic shoes, athletic socks, comfortable - dark colored clothes, dark hat and cold weather clothes get rotated in during winter months.

Anyone have any suggestions of things that I might be overlooking?

So.....you're planning on walking from your work->home. Why not just drive? I know if like a 9.0 earthquake hit indiana, some roads would probably be closed. But that would cut your 30 miles to....XX miles and walk the rest of the way.
    Also i'm sure if you have a truck you can go off road, which i would (if i had a truck) in a SHTF scenario.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    how about a satellite phone? :D

I'd rather have a HAM. With the phone your still dependent on a 3rd party. Radio comms are direct and don't require any infrastructure. If you have a HT and I have and HT and we know what freq. to tune to we're talking. Plus HAM allows you to monitor whats going on around you. :twocents:

Top Bottom