• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    so the verdict is still out on whether to "bug out" or to "bug in" but one thing is for certain - in the event of a SHTF scenario, my getting back to my family quickly is paramount importance. I work regularly about 30 miles from my home, my wife and my children. Getting back to them in every scenario has to be the first order of business. I have for years kept a backpack and change of clothes (I work in a suit/tie) in the trunk. The contents of this "get home bag" has evolved and I would like to hear from INGOers and hopefully take away some good suggestions. 30 miles would take a minimum of 9-10 hours of deliberate moving to make it. With protection, safety from the elements, food/hydration and comfort in mind - what would your bag include. I think it is imperative to keep the pack to under 20lbs or it isn't realistic.

Here are a few of the items in my very civilian and inconspicuous looking backpack:
    • 9mm s/a with 3x 15 rnd magazines carried in inexpensive nylon shoulder rig
    • high calorie Mountain House meal
    • 2 Cliff bars (they won't melt)
    • Swiss volcano stove (boil water with nearly any fuel), Bic lighter, 2 Trioxane fuel tablets
    • Aquamira filter straw (filters up to 20 gallons)
    • collapsable 1.5ltr water bladder (from Camelbak)
    • 50' paracord
    • very sharp fixed blade knife with a stout 6"-8" blade
    • multi tool
    • 4 hand warmers
    • med kit with guaze, alcohol wipes, guaze, rubber gloves and a tourniquet. I need to spring for a "Halo Bandage" or two. Also has pain killer, anti-histimine and anti-diarrheal
    • quality flashlight with Lithium batteries (not installed)
    • at least 6' duct tape
    • poncho
    • sewing kit
    • Space Blanket
    • dozen heavy duty zip ties
    • box of quality new razor blades
    • $40 in five dollar bills
    I also keep a small duffle in the trunk with an old pair of athletic shoes, athletic socks, comfortable - dark colored clothes, dark hat and cold weather clothes get rotated in during winter months.

Anyone have any suggestions of things that I might be overlooking?

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    MEDICAL!!! Add a H Bandage or Israeli Bandage, a tourniquet, and some basic meds for pain, nausea, poops. You're more likely to been in a situation where self or buddy aid is required than anything else.

If you don't have tools to help save a life or take steps to fix injuries your gun isn't going to do anything for you.

Seriously in life, how many car wrecks have you seen or been in where medical attention wasn't there?

Best way I can put it;

I hear hundreds of people who tell me they carry a gun cause police are minutes away when seconds count.

Well paramedics don't get there until the police say it's safe, so they are even more minutes away.

Having the tools on hand as simple as a tourniquet or H Bandage or even a roll of gauze is going to worlds more than the an extra magazine.

In fact I believe that these items (your gun, light, mags, H Bandage, and Tourniquet) should always be within arms reach at ALL times. And they should travel as a team.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Read the sticky on this.

Thanks. I did read through most of that thread. In my opinion, this is a little bit different than a B.O.B. I wouldn't be as worried with shelter materials, large quantity water purification, etc - becuase I would be moving. A light weight, inconspicuous pack where every item is HIGHLY useful is what I am getting at. I don' t mena to start a duplicate thread - but like I mentioned, I see this as a different animal. I have read about some guys who keep B.O.B. bags in their trunk that have to weight 80lbs or more. They have everything but aren't very realistic.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    MEDICAL!!! Add a H Bandage or Israeli Bandage, a tourniquet, and some basic meds for pain, nausea, poops. You're more likely to been in a situation where self or buddy aid is required than anything else.

If you don't have tools to help save a life or take steps to fix injuries your gun isn't going to do anything for you.

Seriously in life, how many car wrecks have you seen or been in where medical attention wasn't there?

Best way I can put it;

I hear hundreds of people who tell me they carry a gun cause police are minutes away when seconds count.

Well paramedics don't get there until the police say it's safe, so they are even more minutes away.

Having the tools on hand as simple as a tourniquet or H Bandage or even a roll of gauze is going to worlds more than the an extra magazine.

In fact I believe that these items (your gun, light, mags, H Bandage, and Tourniquet) should always be within arms reach at ALL times. And they should travel as a team.

thanks, I did actually forget to list a meds pack that rides in there. Your list was a bit more comprehensive and I have made some notes. I edited the original post to include the items I forgot.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Simply food for thought;
    I know a couple guys who carry underfolder AK's in tennis racket bags in their trunks.

In an extreme SHTF, or possible TEOTWAKI, situation, you might require more firepower than you can get from a 9mm

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Simply food for thought;
    I know a couple guys who carry underfolder AK's in tennis racket bags in their trunks.

In an extreme SHTF, or possible TEOTWAKI, situation, you might require more firepower than you can get from a 9mm

Yes. Quite think about these bags in a absolute end of the world thing. It puts the blinders on you and you forget simple stuff. I don't even use the SHTF thing when packing my bag, just using PACE plans for anything that might come up; whether it be a dead car, car wreck, gun fight, robbery, helping a friend out, lost, hurt, not feeling well and so on. And what is in it changes from day to day, plus it goes everywhere!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Map & compass, in case you have to take a detour. Maybe even consider a topographical map, in the event you have to avoid crowds.

I don't know what sort of scenario you expect, but most people tend to over-arm for survival. I'd say that water would be more useful for an AK for the same weight.

Da Bing

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Simply food for thought;

The "evolution" of my bag included for a period of time a Kel Tec PLR-16 (pistol gripped .223). It was too heavy and you couldn't be very inconspicuous toting an assault rifle under your arm.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Only fire source a bic? And I haven't looked into the filter straws much but do they kill bad stuff? From my looking at them briefly, they looked like a straw with a sponge filter in it (ie only remove debris)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think that there s much of a debate between bugging out or bugging in (at least there shouldnt be). It all depends on the evironment n which you live.
    If you live in a highly urbanized area, BUG OUT.... if you live in a rural area where you are famliar with most of you neighbors BUG IN.

At the outset of any SHTF scenario organize (hope fully you are already are) with those you trust. If you find yourself needing a GET HOME BAG, and you have family at home, sorry bro, 9 hours aint gonna cut it. Most people I know that are of a "similar" mindset have duffle bags for their (BOB, GOOD, GHB) some have have gone all tacti-cool on me and gotten camo type bags. Personally, I have a simple black backpack that will blend in.
    I also think bolt cutters are very functional. Rather than huffing it on foot (if you can't drive), you could simply "liberate" on the numerous bcycles that seem to always be abandoned in various places. That would shave several hours off you travel time in getting home, and make you much more mobile (ie traffic jams/block roadways don't apply).

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Urban or rural? How far? Add a good pair of gloves. Door stops. I would ditch cooking anything. Power bars for most is fine to get home.

Finally actually get out and do it. I found out last year my planned route was way to slow. Walking RR tracks has been removed from my route.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Wouldn't need this for normal work - I can see my house from my office. Mainly for longer-distance travel from an off-site on rare occasions. Another thing on the to-do list...

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I think that anything further out than 30 miles really starts to present huge challenges. As I mentioned, if you are stressed and know where you are going, are on relatively flat ground (and in shape!) you can average make about 3.5 miles per hour. So that is 10 hours of traveling to cover 30 miles. It has crossed my mind when we plan a short or long road trip... what in the world should my preparedness plan be?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think that anything further out than 30 miles really starts to present huge challenges. As I mentioned, if you are stressed and know where you are going, are on relatively flat ground (and in shape!) you can average make about 3.5 miles per hour. So that is 10 hours of traveling to cover 30 miles. It has crossed my mind when we plan a short or long road trip... what in the world should my preparedness plan be?

So you work 30 miles from home, flat terrain? Urban or Rural?

swede229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    TP in Ziploc bag.. dont take the center out, you use the cardboard later for fire starter.. you can also take the empty TP rolls fill them with dryer lint coat the edges with petroleum jelly and bag it.. instant fire starter/multiple fire starter

i do carry my AK or short shot gun on me for longer trips.. 40+ miles that i will be prolonged i carry either of them in a duffle bag.. so to take the eyes off them.. yes they are heavier.. just makes me feel alittle more comfortable.. handgun should just be means to get to your battle rifle.. just a thing I was taught by the old guys around me while shooting my handgun..made sense

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011

[/LIST]I also keep a small duffle in the trunk with an old pair of athletic shoes, athletic socks, comfortable - dark colored clothes, dark hat and cold weather clothes get rotated in during winter months.

Anyone have any suggestions of things that I might be overlooking?

That was one of my suggestions, about clothing. Make sure you carry winter clothing for both mid cold/extreme cold weather. Something where you can remove a layer and stay comfortable, but something you can put on and keep warm.

You mentioned you work 30 miles away.
    There are a few things that came to mind.

Are you walking if a SHTF scenario occurs?
    1. If so download Google Earth and plan more than 1 route to get home. If certain roads are closed, you might want to find multiple ways to get home.
    2. If you plan on crossing a field or a farm area, be careful. The land owner might see you as an intruder.
    If you’re going by car:
    1. Same, find multiple routes to get home.
    2. Stay away from major highways. One accident can cause a major back-up

There are FRS radios that reach up to 45miles. If communication is down or all lines are busy, you might want to consider buying one of these. You can keep one in the house always charged and plugged in. And one in your car. That way you can always keep in contact with your family. Make sure you guys have a channel to tune in, in case SHTF.
    Just remember reception depends on the type of terrain you’re at.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I don't think that there s much of a debate between bugging out or bugging in (at least there shouldnt be). It all depends on the evironment n which you live.
    If you live in a highly urbanized area, BUG OUT.... if you live in a rural area where you are famliar with most of you neighbors BUG IN.

:yesway:

Top Bottom