• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Last night, about 11:30 we are on our way home when we receive a call from our alarm company asking if we are at home. Of course we weren't and they tell us that our motion sensor had just gone off. We were about 1/4 mile from home so I cut through a few parking lots and stomped on the gas. I pulled up near our house, not in front, and hopped out. Everything thing in the front looked all right, so I took a wide berth as I checked out the side and back. The police had already been dispatched, and I had decided that I was not going in alone. Everything looked alright in the back, so I waited for the police to show up. When they showed up, I told them that there wasn't any obvious sign of break-in, but I would be more than happy to let them check it out. They checked the house and found nothing amiss. As soon as they left, I did my own search and found nothing. I called the alarm company, and asked them why my motion sensor would go off. Come to find out, the motion sensor is calibrated to ignore small animals, but the calibration can mess up - that's what happened.

What lessons were learned?

First, I have to start carrying a flashlight. I never thought it would be completely necessary until last night. It is hard to check windows from a distance when it's dark out.

Second, my wife has had the opinion that as long as I'm carrying then she doesn't have to. Since last night, she has changed her mind. When I got out of the vehicle, her first thought is that she didn't have her gun.

All in all, a lot of excitement over a stupid cat, but we learned some things...

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    it also shows you should have the motion sensor calibrated for a medium size dog so you have a better margin of error for the cat not setting off the alarm... just pray a midget never robs you :D

its good to hear it was a false alarm and everyone is OK, i would feel sorry for a person who breaks into an active 2nd amendment supporters home, (if the cops didnt find them in their search and the home owner did) knowing the lack of sympathy the home owner would have for that person and the home owner knowing the possible danger of their family the intruder could possibly posess towards them.

I would not hessitate to fire upon an intruder if they have failed to identify themself (they only get one chance to do that). I have made it my responsibility to insure my family's irreguardless where we might be. where i am always at there is never a police officer unless they pass me going the other way down the road.

im obsessed with this video of Uncle Ted, but with selective hearing you can apply this to the general public.

32 seconds- 35 seconds
    1:00 to 1:20 :D i like what he says there
    1:36 till the end of the clip 1:45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5HJkp5sY0

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Great point about the flashlight. I haven't checked my flashlight in my truck in quite awhile. This is a good reminder to check the batteries.

Really glad it was a false alarm.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The moral of the story is that cats suck. You don't need to recalibrate your sensor if you just get rid of the cat.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just make the cat a "barn Cat". Don't waste the burlap on a cat! Cut it into 2" wide strips and shoe glue it on to an old set of BDU's!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just make the cat a "barn Cat". Don't waste the burlap on a cat! Cut it into 2" wide strips and shoe glue it on to an old set of BDU's!

Wait...cut the cat into 2" wide strips? Because I'm OK with that. I just don't see why you'd want to glue it to some BDU's.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The motion sensor was calibrated for a 40 pound dog. There's no reason our 13 pound cat should have set it off. Believe me, I would like nothing more than to get rid of the dog and the cat, but mama and the kids won't allow it. Kinda the whole go along to get along thing...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    The motion sensor was calibrated for a 40 pound dog. There's no reason our 13 pound cat should have set it off. Believe me, I would like nothing more than to get rid of the dog and the cat, but mama and the kids won't allow it. Kinda the whole go along to get along thing...

We are not advocating you getting rid of the dog just the cat!

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    See, I'm more of a cat person than a dog person. Cats are very useful creatures, if you give them the ability to use a doggie door, then you're fine.

I mean... if you've got a garden or anything of the sort, they'll eat all the rabbits and mice and stuff that decided they like your turnips more than you do. Dogs? They'll go and eat your tomatoes.

Cats aren't a hassle. You don't have to walk them at 5 in the morning because they gotta pee. And then they don't drag you on a leash after a stupid squirrel that they couldn't catch anyway.

I've had probably 6-7 cats and 4-5 dogs (sometimes 2-3 of each at a time), and I love them all. But cats are just so much more chill than dogs. Dogs are good for hunting and pooping where I play catch.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    At least the alarm company called you. A few years ago, we had an alarm company. The alarm quit working because I'm fairly certain someone cut one of the wires while in the attic but I won't mention any names... hehehehe... so instead of calling us to tell us that the power had been cut to the alarm, they sent us a freaking letter!!! Guess what! We dropped them ASAP after that. The letter was received 2 weeks after the fact.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    At least the alarm company called you. A few years ago, we had an alarm company. The alarm quit working because I'm fairly certain someone cut one of the wires while in the attic but I won't mention any names... hehehehe... so instead of calling us to tell us that the power had been cut to the alarm, they sent us a freaking letter!!! Guess what! We dropped them ASAP after that. The letter was received 2 weeks after the fact.

I'm sure it was a cat burglar.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'm new here so my opinion is not worth much but........... I don't think I'd be checking the outside windows for damage with a flashlight if I thought a boogie man was in my house. Thats a dead giveaway to him that he's been spotted and more
    important, exactly where your at.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom