• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    It is very unforunate. People think the products must be good because they have his name on them. Many of us are knife snobs :) I confess, but for the average joe or jane who wants a fair priced tool to go get out in nature alittle this is really sad. I try to educate people about quality products that are worth every penny(be that many pennies or few pennies) But these crap knives are over priced if they gave them away.

I'll admit they got me, I've got 3 of them :(. They have since been duracoated and tossed in dark places to act as backup or utility knives...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'll admit they got me, I've got 3 of them :(. They have since been duracoated and tossed in dark places to act as backup or utility knives...

I wouldn't beat myself up over it, most us started out buying lower quality knives. I truly believe it's part of the learning experience that evolves/leads to becoming a knifeaholic or blade snob. As you mature towards knifeaholic status, you learn to appreciate the finer, minute qualities of higher end blades. You gain the appreciation of fine craftsmanship, materials and the engineering that comes with a higher quality knife. Also, you learn about what makes lower end blades inferior, and the weaknesses associated. :)

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I wouldn't beat myself up over it, most us started out buying lower quality knives. I truly believe it's part of the learning experience that evolves/leads to becoming a knifeaholic or blade snob :)

Agree, and better to find out about low quality with a knife then a more expensive pistol/rifle. As I had bought all good quality knives until then, bought my 2nd pistol, which ended up being a HUGE PO$ and still looking to get rid of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't respect anyone who picks up a big pile of elephant poop and squeezes the "juice" into his mouth and swallows it. Hey may be a total bada**, but he's also pretty much an idiot who glorifies taking chances that should be avoided in real survival situations.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't respect anyone who picks up a big pile of elephant poop and squeezes the "juice" into his mouth and swallows it. Hey may be a total bada**, but he's also pretty much an idiot who glorifies taking chances that should be avoided in real survival situations.

Let's not forget walking across a lava field and catching his boots on fire, or being severely allergic to bee stings and smoking out a beehive to get some honey.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Let's not forget walking across a lava field and catching his boots on fire, or being severely allergic to bee stings and smoking out a beehive to get some honey.

Do you think you would care if you were starving? Lets see... starve from no food or die from bee stings....hmm. Not much there to make it a difficult decision

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you think you would care if you were starving? Lets see... starve from no food or die from bee stings....hmm. Not much there to make it a difficult decision

I think if I was severely allergic to bee stings, and I was starving, I'd find something else to eat.

It's about SURVIVING, not choosing how you want to die.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Based on the numbers in the article (24 failures in 119,000 units) that means a failure rate of 0.02%. If it were my company, I would think a 99.98% success rate was pretty good. Seems like nanny state and the potential for lawsuits likely is causing the recall.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    most_interesting_bear_grylls.jpg

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    On a personal level, I think as a person he kicks ass.

His show and products however, are both purely for entertainment purposes only.

I'll watch Les Stroud if I want to watch survival programming.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Can you explain why you stay away from Benchmade? :dunno:

Thats what I was just about to ask as well. They are still all American Made, and guaranteed. At least the couple of knives from them that I have are. Not only that, but they help supply the military with good issued knives, as I have 2 that are issued. Still looking for a knife from them that has all the features one of my Blackhawk has, so I can carry that Benchmade instead.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I stay away from Gerber...benchmade and cold steel...I also have a SOG thats OK

Can you explain why you stay away from Benchmade? :dunno:

Probably because of their horrible customer service!! Get this.....

I was using my Griptillian in a manner not recommended and
    managed to snap off the tip end of the blade.
    So I send it back to Benchmade with the exorbitant fee of $5.00 for return shipping. :eek:
    They reground the tip, sharpened enough to slice paper with no effort,
    replaced the pocket clip, bushings, all the screws, cleaned and oiled. :eek: :eek:
    To top it off it took them almost a week to do that and have it back in my hands. :xmad:

Just horrible, I still have bad dreams.....

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Probably because of their horrible customer service!! Get this.....

I was using my Griptillian in a manner not recommended and
    managed to snap off the tip end of the blade.
    So I send it back to Benchmade with the exorbitant fee of $5.00 for return shipping. :eek:
    They reground the tip, sharpened enough to slice paper with no effort,
    replaced the pocket clip, bushings, all the screws, cleaned and oiled. :eek: :eek:
    To top it off it took them almost a week to do that and have it back in my hands. :xmad:

Just horrible, I still have bad dreams.....

I don't know how they stay in business with customer service like that! :D

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

I'm thinking stage props and good film editng. IMO his show is mostly about entertainment which = ratings which = sponsors which = $$$$.

Some survival stuff included of course, but a lot of stuff that would just be plain stupid to attempt if your intention was to actually survive. Again, just my opinion.

Top Bottom