• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    To make a long story short I need some information on the 4th generation Glocks. Basically I need an article or two about the initial teething problems (reference the guide rod issue) and whether those problems are a non issue now...or of it's ongoing.

Any help will be appreciated as I can't really do a bunch of searching from my phone at the moment.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have about 1200 or so through my G23, no problems here.

I've seen different spring issues, but haven't heard anything major yet.

If you don't want to bother with it, try an M&P.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I don't have any articles to reference, but I can tell you that I own both a G19 and a G17 4th generation, and they have been flawless over 100s of rounds of Federal Champion 115 FMJ, Federal 9BPLE, and Federal HST 124 grain, both standard pressure and +P. I also used to own a 4th generation G22 and put about 500 rounds through it without fail.

I much prefer the 4th generation to the previous models. The texture is grippier, the slightly shortened SF frame feels a lot better to my hand, and the mag release button is far easier to use. I read about some early issues with the guide rod, but haven't read anything recently. I say that you can buy with confidence, and if you have an issue with the guide rod, Glock will make it right.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought a Gen4 G23 last week. I've fired around 200 rounds of Federal 165gr FMJ through it and 50 rounds of 165gr Tactical Bonded through it without issue. We will be getting in two Gen4 G22's and two Gen4 G23's in for T&E soon and I will be thoroughly ringing them out.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The only spring issue I'm aware of is the first run of Gen4 G17s being "oversprung" b/c Glock was trying to save a buck by using the .40 recoil assemblies in the 9mms. Since that issue was addressed through the introduction of identical but reduced-power recoil assemblies for the Gen4 9mms, I haven't had any customer complaints nor read any internet accounts of problems.

FWIW.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    ^^^^'s what I heard as well; apparently the issue has been addressed and resolved. My G27 has been flawless, except for the fact that I keep running out of ammo. :dunno:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have one minor beef with the Gen4: the magazine release button is too short.

The wider mag. release button is a good idea, but it doesn't protrude enough (for me, anyway) to release the magazine without having to reposition my right thumb.

Currently, there is no extended release available for Gen4 Glocks; so, I made my own by building up the button with epoxy, filing it to shape, and then going over it with a black Sharpie pen to color match. Worked like a charm!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have a issued Gen 4 Glock 22. I have used it hard for about a year now. (1550 rounds to date) No problems at all and no malfunctions to date even with a light/laser attached. More than I could same about my POS former issued Gen 3 22. Heck I think I actually like the Gen 4. It pains me to say it but I think they are OK now.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a issued Gen 4 Glock 22. I have used it hard for about a year now. (1550 rounds to date) No problems at all and no malfunctions to date even with a light/laser attached. More than I could same about my POS former issued Gen 3 22. Heck I think I actually like the Gen 4. It pains me to say it but I think they are OK now.

I have about 8000 rounds through my generation 3 G22 without an issue. My G27 had a few issues with locking back on magazines that weren't empty.

Thanks for all the replies. Our department was wanting to replace all our generation 3s with generaton 4s, but someone told the higher ups the gen 4 were problematic and now they don't want to trade up. I was hoping for some literature to help push the gen 4s.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My Gen 4 G22 has been flawless. I got a good deal on it. A guy bought it new, took it home, realized it was a Gen 4, came back a few days later and traded it in for a Gen 3, still unfired.

I got a new GLOCK 22 for a used price.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Our department went to the gen 4 22 about a year and a half ago. We have had no problems at all. The only malfunction I remember seeing was one with a new shooter most likely from limp wristing it.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I bought a Gen4 G23 a few weeks ago and have since put about 600 rounds through it. All different kinds of ammo. Only one failure to eject at this point. But it feels great in my hands and is accurate as heck.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Our department went to the gen 4 22 about a year and a half ago. We have had no problems at all. The only malfunction I remember seeing was one with a new shooter most likely from limp wristing it.

I though the 22 Gen 4 only hit the market in the sumer of 2010. :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom