• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Shortly after coughing up a grand for a used Les Baer I myself from lack of knowledge scractched an otherwise flawless pistol. I since have gotten better at assembling the weapon and do not scratch it any more. I am timid though to shoot it too ofen thus risking scratching it while cleaning it.

Thanks for a couple of tips i will try em out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shortly after coughing up a grand for a used Les Baer I myself from lack of knowledge scractched an otherwise flawless pistol. I since have gotten better at assembling the weapon and do not scratch it any more. I am timid though to shoot it too ofen thus risking scratching it while cleaning it.

Thanks for a couple of tips i will try em out.

Shoot it...shoot it a lot. With practice comes improvement.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    What I use if I haven't modded the slide stop to prevent the dreaded "idiot scratch".
    Anyone around south Indy wanting to start a local chapter PM me. :D

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

IMG_0086.jpg

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I also carry a guitar pick (and have given them away) that can be used to lay on the frame in the area that the dreaded scratch can happen...it's a great "idiot scratch" deterrent. I've encouraged the use and shown people how to do it because even though their gun isn't mine, it pains me to see a beautiful gun marred by a slip (or a lack of knowledge).
    If you can use a simple trick to side step a horrible scratch...why not??

IMG_2585.jpg

Do you use Pearloid Fender 351 picks, are do you prefer the cellulous Dunlop picks? Which thickness works best??

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Do you use Pearloid Fender 351 picks, are do you prefer the cellulous Dunlop picks? Which thickness works best??

I can't afford to give away Fenders!! Actually, I think most of those came out of a Gibson / generic mix...

The thin ones are the best for laying on the frame. Medium ones can sort of be OK, depending on a couple different factors...but the thick ones are TOO thick to use in that way. However, the thick ones are great to use in the same fashion as the hair barrette (holding the plunger in the tube while dropping the slide stop in) Use the narrow end.

Top Bottom