• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm afraid Obama doesn't have any choice but to sack him. No matter how incompetent the Commander-in-Chief is, he IS the Commander-in-Chief. If McChrystal isn't removed, Obama devolves from a mistake to a joke. It is truly unfortunate that a man of such talent and demonstrated effectiveness as McChrystal is going to be wasted in order to preserve the necessary, yet ineffectual authority of this administration's civilian leadership. I wish the General could have resisted the urge to call this one as he saw it.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    They had it out for him when he disagreed with the Biden plan(send predator drones and less troops). In that McChrystal never spoke ill of Obama only Biden. By saying "did you say bite me?" when Biden name was mentioned. Be a shame if we lost McChrystal over something so trivial as that.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Yes, he deserves to get fired...oh hang on, I just found some dusty old document that says something about Americans speaking freely.

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yes, he deserves to get fired...oh hang on, I just found some dusty old document that says something about Americans speaking freely.

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That doesn't apply if you are in the military critisizing your higher ups. Seriously.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Amendment I

Doesn't apply to folks in the military. UCMJ has about 15 articles he violated. Sad. He should have just retired.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip.

Most Americans are free to speak freely. Military members are not, necessarily, when speaking in performance of their duties. And no American is guaranteed the right to not get fired when they trash their boss, especially when it's a public trashing.

As for "poor politician?" Perhaps not. If he's considering running for office, getting booted, then pointing out that he felt duty bound to speak out for the safety of his troops, consequences be damned, may not be a bad way to start out. As it happens, his criticisms are well founded, and I do think the General has a duty to speak out on the criminal manner in which this administration is endangering the lives of American service men and women through it's incomptence.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    He made the perfect move! Now, he can go on the speakers circuit and get $50,000 - $100,000 per speech, without the writing. Plus, it's not like he will make less money by being fired and forced to retire as opposed to leaving on his own accord.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont

Amendment I
    Military live under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. it has provisions in it that could, if the right person interpreted it, could say that what he said was mutiny. In theory

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    That doesn't apply if you are in the military critisizing your higher ups. Seriously.

Members of the military live under a different set of rules than civillians.

Doesn't apply to folks in the military. UCMJ has about 15 articles he violated. Sad. He should have just retired.

Most Americans are free to speak freely. Military members are not, necessarily, when speaking in performance of their duties. And no American is guaranteed the right to not get fired when they trash their boss, especially when it's a public trashing.

Military live under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. it has provisions in it that could, if the right person interpreted it, could say that what he said was mutiny. In theory

Would any of you care to show me where the Bill of Rights says it doesn't apply to American citizens in the military? I couldn't find it in there. Because the government limiting Freedom of Speech sounds an awful lot like abridged freedom of speech, which the Bill of Rights specifically makes it extremely clear the government is not allowed to do.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Would any of you care to show me where the Bill of Rights says it doesn't apply to American citizens in the military? I couldn't find it in there. Because the government limiting Freedom of Speech sounds an awful lot like abridged freedom of speech, which the Bill of Rights specifically makes it extremely clear the government is not allowed to do.

When you sign the stack of papers at MEPS, you sign away those rights. Uncle Sam Wants You...call your recruiter today

Top Bottom