• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because Indiana is the state currently getting all of the bad press over this. Indy is arguably the biggest convention host city in the U.S. If these conventions decide to take their business elsewhere it becomes an economic issue.

When outside tax revenue dries up, where do you think the legislature will turn to make up for it?

i agree it shouldn't be dismissed so lightly, but I have to support the law purely based on the business owner's right to deny service to anyone they wish. Black, white, gay, atheist... It's their right, regardless of how distasteful it may be. Now, the state should make as much of an effort as it can to retain these conventions, and I'm sure "green" will trump "ideology" in most cases. There needs to be a mafia style "sit down," to hash out acceptable conditions.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    i agree it shouldn't be dismissed so lightly, but I have to support the law purely based on the business owner's right to deny service to anyone they wish. Black, white, gay, atheist... It's their right, regardless of how distasteful it may be. Now, the state should make as much of an effort as it can to retain these conventions, and I'm sure "green" will trump "ideology" in most cases. There needs to be a mafia style "sit down," to hash out acceptable conditions.
    But this law doesn't protect the Rights of black people, white people, gay or athiest. It only protects the religious people. And it was all about more anti-gay BS. The legislature lost on HJR3, so they needed something else to be anti-gay about, so they went this route. Can't be seen being even neutral on the gay issue.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    But this law doesn't protect the Rights of black people, white people, gay or athiest. It only protects the religious people. And it was all about more anti-gay BS. The legislature lost on HJR3, so they needed something else to be anti-gay about, so they went this route. Can't be seen being even neutral on the gay issue.

Nailed it.

Lost gay marriage. The dominionists needed a win somewhere.

As an aside, I don't think many realize how clown shoes a Liberty University event can be.

jpittman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    South side Indy
    I'm not sure what this proves? So the leader of GenCon is a supporter of LGBT issues. Shocking! So if I find a conservative leaning group that threatens to cancel if it doesn't pass what does that prove? This is all a sideshow.

The law should pass or not pass based on its merits not on the threats of a convention group.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I see both sides of the argument. As EDCers we have all faced similar discrimination. "Is that a gun? Get out! You can take it to the car or dont come back!"

I just wish this law had a signage requirements with force of law. Basically if they want to exercise their religious rights, they should be forced to advertise it. Similarly to how they have signs posted at the front door stating "no guns", "no smoking within 8 feet.", etc. They should be forced to post the fact that they will refuse service to LGBTs. (a rainbow flag with a line through it? :dunno:... and yes I know in this state a no guns signs =/= force of law) If they want to exercise their religious rights, they should be forced to "own it". That way, much like we would avoid a GFZ, Those that disagree with their decision could also avoid them. Maybe those that support it could come up with their own version of a "no guns no money" card?

Bottom line, as one of my very conservative friends put it "you dont have a right to someone else's labor." I have to agree and that is where I am torn on the legislation. But if you want to discriminate, you should own it and be prepared for the consequences. (good or bad) I wish both extremist sides of the argument would STFU. We shouldnt have militant gays getting bakeries shut down (why would you want to give your hard earned dollars to someone who says they hate you?), and we shouldnt have to have laws preventing those attacks. Everyone should be reasonable and work it out among themselves.

I have the same Libertarian view on the smoking ban... the legislation should only shield establishments from lawsuits. Let them choose to be smoke free or not, and let the free market settle it.

Trekkies refuse to serve Force users. Chaos ensues.

Dammit BBI. Now I have beer all over my screen. (and some up my nose) Thanks. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not sure what this proves? So the leader of GenCon is a supporter of LGBT issues. Shocking! So if I find a conservative leaning group that threatens to cancel if it doesn't pass what does that prove? This is all a sideshow.

The law should pass or not pass based on its merits not on the threats of a convention group.

unfortunately in today's world, money talks.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Where in the bill is LGTB alphabet soup mentioned? If I have a strong religious belief that the "races" shouldn't mix than I am not compelled to provide services to them. Example would be baking cupcakes for a "mix marriage". Personally I don't care what people do with their body parts.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So the morons who run Geocon want to be on the record as despising people with religion?
    I bet their extortion gambit hurts them far more than it ever will IN.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Where in the bill is LGTB alphabet soup mentioned? If I have a strong religious belief that the "races" shouldn't mix than I am not compelled to provide services to them. Example would be baking cupcakes for a "mix marriage". Personally I don't care what people do with their body parts.

Perhaps one of our lawyers can chime in, but would it not run afoul of federal law if your decision was based on race:

All citizens of the United States shall have the same right, in every State and Territory, as is enjoyed by white citizens thereof to inherit, purchase, lease, sell, hold, and convey real and personal property. - See more at: 42 U.S.C. § 1982 : US Code - Section 1982: Property rights of citizens

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So the morons who run Geocon want to be on the record as despising people with religion?
    I bet their extortion gambit hurts them far more than it ever will IN.

Dont count on it. As I think about my geeky friends who are gamers, etc. (almost all of them) The agnostic/atheist lean FAR outweighs the ultra conservative group HANDS DOWN. To the point I cant name a single "conservative christian" in my circle of gamers/con-goers. They are a pretty liberal bunch. consider "the cons" history if Pence signs it. Im sure the NRA wont change their schedule for the annual meeting, but anything gaming related is history if this passes.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Yes, let's let a group of kids in adult bodies dictate our state law. I don't give a crap what law it is, it's up to the citizens of this state to let our representatives know what is wanted and then for them to enact it. Then, if they do, that's that. If any group with deep pockets can bully our governor into signing or not signing a Bill passed by our legislature into law, then something needs to change.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why will it affect our state any differently than the other 28 states that have a RFRA law or interpret their existing constitutions along the same strict scrutiny of exercise of religion?

Timing.

Can a black person in Indiana be compelled by law to serve a gay person now? How about if the law is signed?

Can a white person in Indiana be compelled by law to serve a gay person now? How about if the law is signed?

Can a gay person in Indiana be compelled by law to serve a gay person now? How about if the law is signed?

Can an atheist person in Indiana be compelled by law to serve a gay person now? How about if the law is signed?

Can a religious person in Indiana be compelled by law to serve a gay person now? How about if the law is signed?

No new classes have been established or protected that weren't before. And you have it wrong. In the wake of the Colorado gay wedding cake, the IN legislature had to be seen sticking up for religion. It's just a statement. And the progressive tears flow endlessly as if the world ends with signing the bill.

As TB said. Yawn.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Meh...the convention is already scheduled for this summer. We really think at this late date they'll move it? I doubt it. I'm thinking those things take a lot of logistics to make happen and 3-4-5 months would be tight...even if they could find a venue available. Who knows...by next year, their second favorite city/state may have pissed them off or they'll find there weren't any "***s go home signs" this year, everybody got along fine, and this was a trumped up mountain out of a mole hill after all.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dont count on it. As I think about my geeky friends who are gamers, etc. (almost all of them) The agnostic/atheist lean FAR outweighs the ultra conservative group HANDS DOWN. To the point I cant name a single "conservative christian" in my circle of gamers/con-goers. They are a pretty liberal bunch. consider "the cons" history if Pence signs it. Im sure the NRA wont change their schedule for the annual meeting, but anything gaming related is history if this passes.

Ahhhh baloney. The gamer conventions come here because of the MONEY....gay money, straight money, transgender money....it's all about the bucks....they get a great deal from the city, and they're not stupid enough to walk away from it....although, it was a classic asshat move trying to extort the Governor of Indiana. That didn't go too well....so maybe I am giving them too much credit in the brains department.

Will miss them for the first year....then we'll forget them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ahhhh baloney. The gamer conventions come here because of the MONEY....gay money, straight money, transgender money....it's all about the bucks....they get a great deal from the city, and they're not stupid enough to walk away from it....although, it was a classic asshat move trying to extort the Governor of Indiana. That didn't go too well....so maybe I am giving them too much credit in the brains department.

Will miss them for the first year....then we'll forget them.

No, he's right. These people are mostly young, very idealistically progressive, and worried about image. Being seen at a convention in a state declared evil by pop culture for political incorrectness would have the same stigma as being seen palling around with a climate denier. But, if they wear an anti-Indiana tee shirt and pretend to protest, well that's probably okay.

But yeah, we'd miss them. Or not.

Top Bottom