• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fountainjl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Toss up. I love my Gen 3, but the grip is on the large side. I could use the exchangeable backstraps, but Hate the rough texture finish on the Gen 4.

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im hoping on the Gen 3 train as well, I have a G19 and its just disgusting and hands down the best all around pistol i think you can attain. Its accuracy is like nothing I've shot before and with a 15rd mag to back it up, I cant argue. I did some snooping awhile back on the gen3 vs gen4 battle and with the help of youtube and tests i found a few reasons why to stick with the gen3, my biggest was, at least with the g19 in a gen4 it didnt really "shoot" out the brass when it ejected, it kinda just almost "rolled" out, if you will, there are a few videos shot and slowed down so you can truly see, and a few times the brass comes damn close to going back into the chamber before it closes to load the next round in. Just my 2 cents.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The gen 4 is slightly smaller with a different texture. The issues do "seem" to be resolved with the gen 4's, but final results are still TBD. Buying a pre 2010 gen 3 glock is the safest bet if you are at all worried about reliability issues.

Stock, I prefer the gen 4 frame as it is slightly slimmer and rougher texture. That being said, I prefer my glocks in gen 3 (pre 2010 production), finger grooves and hump removed, and stippled frame, I've never done this to a 26/27 though.

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The gen 4 is slightly smaller with a different texture. The issues do "seem" to be resolved with the gen 4's, but final results are still TBD. Buying a pre 2010 gen 3 glock is the safest bet if you are at all worried about reliability issues.

Stock, I prefer the gen 4 frame as it is slightly slimmer and rougher texture. That being said, I prefer my glocks in gen 3 (pre 2010 production), finger grooves and hump removed, and stippled frame, I've never done this to a 26/27 though.

For sure in aggreance with the pre 2010 model as well, i also highly agree with the size of the gen4 frame, but eh, win some ya lose some i suppose!

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    ...my biggest was, at least with the g19 in a gen4 it didnt really "shoot" out the brass when it ejected, it kinda just almost "rolled" out, if you will, there are a few videos shot and slowed down so you can truly see, and a few times the brass comes damn close to going back into the chamber before it closes to load the next round in. Just my 2 cents.
    That's the extraction problem I mentioned above. It has been resolved and there are new extractor part numbers now that will fix it. Fixed for free, of course if you call the customer service line. Or an armorer at a GSSF event will do it for you for free while you wait. If you're looking at guns to purchase, you can tell the extractors apart by sight if you know how, but I never learned because mine's a Gen2 and I'm not in the market for a Glock right now. Check Glocktalk and you'll quickly find more info.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I think the gen2/3/4 discussion is very applicable on G17/19's for reliability issues, as far as all the replacement recoil/ejector/extractor parts...

..but I haven't read or heard of as many problems with the subcompact models in Gen4. I wouldn't want that texture to eat my shirts though. I had a newer Gen3 that had it out for my eyes - the weak ejection issues are real, and that handgun went back on the free market.

I did just shoot a buddies brand new Gen3 ser#SXXXXX G26, and he took one brass to the head in about 350 rounds, and that was shooting one handed. Probably a bit limp - it seemed to function well enough that I'd carry one.

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's the extraction problem I mentioned above. It has been resolved and there are new extractor part numbers now that will fix it. Fixed for free, of course if you call the customer service line. Or an armorer at a GSSF event will do it for you for free while you wait. If you're looking at guns to purchase, you can tell the extractors apart by sight if you know how, but I never learned because mine's a Gen2 and I'm not in the market for a Glock right now. Check Glocktalk and you'll quickly find more info.

I was unaware of that, good to know and thanks for the info!

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Gen 4 full size and compacts picked up the dual spring recoil spring like the G26/27 already had. Glock tried to use the same spring for .40 and 9mm and it was too stiff for some 9mm ammo. Last summer they released recoil springs specific to 9mm and the problem is supposed to be solved. Just shot a Gen 4 G19 tonight and no issues. Over 100 rounds and everything ejected fine.

Top Bottom