• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I haven't seen that anyone else has tested a Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 17 and I had the opportunity to shoot my Gen 3 17C and another member's Gen 4 17 that I did some trigger work on today at ITP.. Although Glock says that the recoil is softer in the Gen 4 pistols because of the dual recoil spring assembly, I really couldn't tell any difference. Anyone else had a chance to try them side by side, if so did you notice any difference in recoil?

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Had heard some of the guys having reliability issues with the early Gen 4 Glocks, from some of the guys that are very pro Glock. No other data, but was several Gen 4 guns.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've ordered parts and repaired several of them but it appears they have the issue solved.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had a gen 4 17 and currently have a gen 3 17. I didn't notice much difference in them honestly, both shot well though. I actually liked the gen 4 grip texture. Now I will say that I could tell a bit of difference between a gen 3 G21 (45acp) and a Gen 4 G21. I think most 9mm's are soft shooting, regardless of make or model. :)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've shot the Model 23 in Gen3 and Gen4 - no difference in recoil, but the different backstraps may make it feel a little different since it will sit differently in your hand.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    No noticable difference in felt recoil, but I never liked the Gen 3 finger grooves..... the Gen 4 solved that issue for me. I still use my G19 Gen 2 for my EDC, if its not one of the 1911s... ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't feel a difference between the two as far as recoil. I shot the same course of fire today with a G3 22 and then a G4 22. Accuracy was essentially the same and the feel of each is very similar. Aside from the texture, if you were to blindfold me and have me shoot both I don't think I could tell the difference.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    The difference isn't in the amount of recoil. The gen4 guns 2 stage spring system stages the recoil impulse differently that the gen3 single spring system. Early glock 19 gen 4 s had teething problems that glock solved and translated to the other gen 4 a across the board.

Daltech Force

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Glock doc told me gen 3 model 26 has 5lb trigger and gen 4 has 8lb...so I went to 3.5 on gen 4 and is a pleasure.

Top Bottom