GE Washer - Any appliance experts out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Having some trouble with my GE Washing Machine Model number WBB4500E1WW.

First noticed on "super" sized loads the washer was leaking from the bottom, I assume it was over filling by the height of the water in the tub. Does not happen on small and medium sized loads.

Next we noticed the washer will not progress past agitation. After the agitation cycle is complete the drain kicks in, drains all the water... and seems to keep trying to drain... then it just stops. I've been able to force the rinse cycle by resetting the cycle, placing the selector on rinse. After the rinse, drain kicks in again, drains and stops, no spin cycle. I can again force the spin cycle by resetting the cycle, and selecting spin only.

I would like to try and fix this myself and save the cost of a professional repair or replacement. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I am no professional...

Is this a front loader? Mine was leaking from the front bottom and it turned out to be a sock that got down into the filter in the drain line. Water could not get by and would leak.

It has been a while so I don't remember the ordeal but I remember opening the water ducting down under the drum and finding the sock. Check it out.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Look up appliance repair in google. There are several sites that help you diagnose and sell you the parts you need to fix it yourself. I've done it a few times myself!

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not an expert either but it sounds like the timer control is going bad. (The thing with the knob that you set the cycle.) It is the brains of the outfit that controls how long to let it fill and when to move it from wash to rinse, etc. On mine, Kenmore, not GE, you can get it out by taking the upper panel apart. (Make sure machine is unplugged). It should have a part number on it. I got a replacement for ours at Appliance Parts. (There are several locations around town.) Not rocket science. It just unplugs and there are four screws that hold it in place. Not counting the the trip to get the thing, about an hour of time. Mine wasn't cheap, if I remember it was about $100.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If it has an analog timer, it could have some broken gears in it making it stop before actually triggering the spin cycle.

Since it never actually gets to the spin cycle, I would suspect the timer. If it's a solid state microprocessor controlled timer, it may still be the culprit...no broken gears, just a hosed up processor.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've had to replace a couple of timers because the electrical contacts had burned out. I've found this is usually the problem when the cycle interrupts. When you look for one, make sure you have the exact model number of the washer, because the timers all have the same model number, just different configurations of contacts. This can be frustrating.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Before you buy any parts, I suggest looking at all the drain lines from the tub to the pump and from the pump to the drain hose as well as inside the pump itself. Most modern washers can tell if the water is not fully drained and will not advance to the next cycle. It is relatively common to get some debris in a line somewhere and cause this problem. An obstruction can also cause over filling which will throw water over the top of the tub during agitation making it appear like its leaking. Some models even have traps built in to their own internal plumbing. I've experienced this problem multiple times. The symptoms were very similar to what you describe and I was able to correct it just by removing the obstructions. You'd be surprised what can make its way in there. Good luck!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I first started delivering for Lowes we had to go out and get bad GE product and replace them with new under a recall they had.

Other then that I have no valuable info to contribute.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    UPDATE: I found online a sequence to reset the machine. Unplug for 1 min, plug back in, and within 30 seconds open and close the lid 7 times.

So far this has solved the problem. I've run 3 "large" sized loads with all cycles completing as they should. I haven't tried a "super" size load to check if the leaking/overfill problem is fixed, but I will soon.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    The reset fix was short lived... I can get it to work every now and again, but not consistently. I took the front off and cleaned the pressure switch hose, removed the drain pump and hoses and checked for obstructions, and still no dice. Mr. Appliance will be visiting me tomorrow.

Top Bottom