• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I appreciate the input...please keep it coming! For those of you that bought new units, I would be interested in how the price negotiations went. Are these like automobile where you can negotiate a deal?

From my understanding, you should be able to get a Deere dealer down 5-10%. ID have to look up what I paid vs what retail was. I think I ended up getting them down enough to cover the tax basically.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I worked at a place that had a ranger we used all the time. It was at a summer camp where they taught kids to ride dirtbikes. We were always using it to clear trails. That thing took a beating. I was really impressed with it. Not to mention one time when we were mowing someone left the parking brake off of it on a hill, and it rolled sideways 3 or 4 times into the lake. Pulled it out with the tractor did some minor stuff to it and fired right up!

Polaris makes the best side by sides out there in my opinion. My lady friends dad has a gator and it's okay, there is nothing wrong with it or anything i just prefer the Ranger.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I bought mine in Nicholasville, Ky. All Polaris dealers in Indianapolis area would not negotiate on the price. Had one guy tell me that "That is the MSRP and that's what you will pay if you want it." Mike at Hayden's in Nicholasville knocked the price down BEFORE I started negotiating.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I have an 08 Polaris XP700 we bought used in 2010. It's been very reliable, rides great and has plenty of power, it will run faster than I want to go on the road.

Only issue I had was a broken plastic sprague in the front axle I think was caused by the previous owner. I got the part from John Deere (they use the same differential) for about $30 less than the Polaris price and replaced it myself.

The new Gators are nice units but if you are looking used I'd stay with the current models. The older ones had poor suspensions and lacked many of the features of the other models.

IMG_2816.jpg

BigHoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I like my Teryx. Only had it for 6 months but it does everything I need it to do. I have an 08 NRA Outdoors Edition

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, Friday is the big day. The dealer I am visiting has all 3 brands. I will have the opportunity to see everything at one place. My research indicates Polaris units command near MSRP.

I narrowed it down to the Deere, Ranger and Mule. The deere and ranger were almost identical in specs. The mule lacked ground clearance and the ranger was about a grand more. Try all 3 and see what you like and what has the best value.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have already eliminated the Mule. 6" of ground clearance won't cut it. I like the look of the new Ranger 900 series. I am looking forward to driving all of them.

Looks like the Ranger 900 has the best cab option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIrYAS09X8

I think you'll also find that the Ranger is more the iPod of UTVs. Aftermarket accessories will be more abundant. Unfortunately I don't think Polaris has this same style cab for the diesel ranger. Looks like you can buy the pro fit cab a piece at a time as well.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    At work we just picked up a new Ranger 4x4 with the self leveling shocks and power steering. SWEET RIDE! the 6x6 feels more stable but man I love the maneuverability of the 4x4 and the power steering.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Well, we bought the Kawasaki Teryx. The Polaris was a nice vehicle, and the Gator had some advantages such as a larger bed. From an overall ease of operation, and comfort standpoint, the Teryx made the most sense for us. The controls are easy to understand the 4WD system is a no brainer, and the differential lock is easy to work with. The power is excellent, and it steers well. The seats are really comfortable. I found it to be a better overall value than the Polaris, and more rugged than the Gator. More to follow.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a Polaris Ranger 800XP, I wouldn't have anything else! I am trading it in for 900XP, they are all new and as good as it gets!

I skipped on tax and paid $12,700 I think for the 800, add another $5000 to trade it in on the 900 with windshield roof stereo

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well, we bought the Kawasaki Teryx.

And I didnt even have to post in this thread. Nice!

You made the right choice, ask me how I know. No seriously ask me anything you want to know about your new Teryx. Ill help anyway I can.

No knock to JD

But Polaris Ill argue all day long on how junk they really are. Just work on a few and youll know.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you are looking to buy something sporty, go with something polaris. Gators are getting a little to pricy for what they are. We have sold Deere in the past. Last gators I have much experience with though are the XUV and HPX. If your looking for a workhorse, we recently got a Kioti Mechron 2200. VERY heavy duty diesel side by side. If you want more info on it I can provide. Kioti is a compact tractor company from south korea that has been in the US for a long time, just not super popular yet. Very great quality equipment and never have had any issues with any of it.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Read thru this last week. I've got a gator xuv 850d. Has a noise in it from the drivetrain. Traced it down to the wheel bearings after reading some of the posts here. Three wheels have slop in them. Got to say I'm a little disappointed as it has 180 hours mostly touring or light duty never sits out. Had a gator 4x2 that served well for 8 years prior.

Otherwise I like it!

Also had a kubota 900 it was a semi! It worked well for its purpose but I wanted something sportier.

Top Bottom