• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    At the risk of getting this thread moved to the political section, the biggest factor in this whole mess is our country's ridiculous energy policies. Some want to blame the oil companies but they weren't complaining when as a percentage their profits were actually higher but gas prices were lower. Some want to blame the speculators. I say blaming speculators for using the market is like blaming a tiger for killing and eating its prey, its just what they do. If our own policies didn't keep us dependent on foreign sources, there wouldn't be anything to speculate about. Profits for oil companies would be higher and prices for consumers would still be lower.

Then there's the alleged reasoning for the policies. Environmental protection? I don't think so. If they were really concerned about the planet, they would be anxious to show the world on our own soil how to obtain resources responsibly instead of looking the other way while other countries do it with little or no environmental concerns whatsoever.

Many of these same policy makers condemn the political, foreign relations, and human rights practices of these oil producing countries while forcing almost every American to support those very practices with our oil money.

We will never solve this problem as long as we refuse to use our own resources. Our resources are just as plentiful as the middle-east, but that's a whole different subject. :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Because the oil companies are getting ready to announce record profits and there's not a damned thing we can do about it! They have us by the nozzles and our government wants us to become less mobile while at the same time begging them for help.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Its all about futures. OPEC thinks they can predict the future so they raise the cost of a barrel to prepare for what bad thing they think is next to come. It also has a lot to do with the cost of drilling and the cost of finding new sites to drill that are going to produce more oil.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The government printing money as quickly as it has been
    deflates real dollars, reducing the buying power of yours and mine.

The cost of goods has not really gone up,
    it just takes more dollars to buy the same product.

Welcome to inflation.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Gas prices dropped $.10 a week or 2 ago so it only makes sense that they'd go up $.30, only to go up another $.10 by the weekend. It is just the way things work.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Unfortunately, there isn't really much we can do about it. Drive less, drive slowly, eggshells under the gas pedal, replace air filters, inflate tires properly. That's about it, worrying about the price won't help.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unfortunately, there isn't really much we can do about it. Drive less, drive slowly, eggshells under the gas pedal, replace air filters, inflate tires properly. That's about it, worrying about the price won't help.

We could all take the wonderful public transportation system that we have in all the major cities and small towns across this wonderful country!!!!

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Arm America hit the bullseye, inflation. Our dollar is quickly becoming $.70, and it's just starting to rear it's ugly head.

A few years ago, the saudi's would only accept the dollar for barrels. If Italy wanted to buy a barrel, they had to transfer their money to american dollars and buy the oil.

Now, the saudi's will only accept american dollars from us, and that's not going to last long... they see our dollar dropping as we continue to borrow from our new pappy. We may have been better off going to a loan shark, or did we?

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    At the risk of getting this thread moved to the political section, the biggest factor in this whole mess is our country's ridiculous energy policies. Some want to blame the oil companies but they weren't complaining when as a percentage their profits were actually higher but gas prices were lower. Some want to blame the speculators. I say blaming speculators for using the market is like blaming a tiger for killing and eating its prey, its just what they do. If our own policies didn't keep us dependent on foreign sources, there wouldn't be anything to speculate about. Profits for oil companies would be higher and prices for consumers would still be lower.

Then there's the alleged reasoning for the policies. Environmental protection? I don't think so. If they were really concerned about the planet, they would be anxious to show the world on our own soil how to obtain resources responsibly instead of looking the other way while other countries do it with little or no environmental concerns whatsoever.

Many of these same policy makers condemn the political, foreign relations, and human rights practices of these oil producing countries while forcing almost every American to support those very practices with our oil money.

We will never solve this problem as long as we refuse to use our own resources. Our resources are just as plentiful as the middle-east, but that's a whole different subject. :twocents:

+1. :patriot:

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    I noticed on the April "no gas" day, Prices on the west side/Airport are went up two or three days before hand. Then the day after, the gas went up like forty cents. I felt not long ago that if everyone in the country would no purchase gas for one day, the oil companies would lose billions of dollars. But now I feel that if we were to do that, they would just raise the prices farther, knowing we would by gas the next day or so....It's freakin sad. This country is really putting the crunch on the regular guy.."TEOTWAWKI" Already happening.....

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    Sorry to rant but everyone is talking about gas being cheaper if we drilled our own...Bet you my BOB it would be just as expensive...Like someone mentioned earlier.."Because they can!":twocents:....OK I'm Done......for now

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    QE2.

Oil's increase has mirrored the increase in just about all the other commodities. Banks stuffed with basically free money from the Fed are parking their money in commodities.

Couple that with supply restrictions coming from Dear Leader's "moratorium" on drilling and from unrest in the Middle-East, and it's a recipe for prices to rise very quickly.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Others are quoting seven.

Doesn't matter. If it hits $5/gal we'll have 2008 all over again. Truckers shutting down in protest or just because they can't afford to drive anymore. Prices going up, bubbles popping, the housing market and commercial real-estate will take another nose dive.

Fuel prices triggered the first recession, it'll trigger the double dip as well.

Just wait until this winter when gas is $5/gal and heating oil is through the roof as well.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is that going around on Facebook again?

In case you couldn't tell, that was 100% sarcasm. I see those emails quite a bit. How does boycotting gas stations on Friday do a damn bit of good if everyone just buys it on Thursday or Saturday? Unless that boycott is coupled with a boycott on all driving that day, boycotting the stations is 1000% useless.

Everybody should Br happy that Ellis Wyatt doesn't own the oil companies.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    In case you couldn't tell, that was 100% sarcasm. I see those emails quite a bit. How does boycotting gas stations on Friday do a damn bit of good if everyone just buys it on Thursday or Saturday? Unless that boycott is coupled with a boycott on all driving that day, boycotting the stations is 1000% useless.

Everybody should Br happy that Ellis Wyatt doesn't own the oil companies.

I was actually thinking about that this morning. If I ran an oil company, I'd take it private and tell the Barry Admin to **** off, with a John Galt style press release.

Top Bottom