• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Very rarely do I pay any attention to the price of fuel. I insert the nozzel and set the handle until it automatically shuts off. My time is to important to worry about stopping at the gas station everyday.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Very rarely do I pay any attention to the price of fuel. I insert the nozzel and set the handle until it automatically shuts off. My time is to important to worry about stopping at the gas station everyday.

Right on Tom. My time is worth too much for me to worry about gas prices. If gas prices ever get high enough that I have to worry about them then it's my responsibility to budget for the gas I need. To blame someone else is ridiculous.

Why do some of you think you are entitled to super low gas prices? You choose how much you use. You have to power to control it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why do some of you think you are entitled to super low gas prices? You choose how much you use. You have to power to control it.

Wow. Really? Trust me, I can afford it. I am mad at the plight of my fellow countrymen who cannot. The more it costs for energy, the more everything costs in life. The more everything costs, the higher social welfare payments will be which leads to higher taxes, etc...

Is $1.50 gas "super low"? To me, $1 gas is "super low". I ask you why you think "super high" gas prices are acceptable?

We are not "entitled" to cheap fuel, but it can be obtained simply by government getting out of the way.

Do you tell people the same when they mention the cost of food, medicine, education, or any other part of life? Income comes from working, which generally requires gasoline to drive to.

If a person drives 25 miles per day, that is $910 a year he''s paying too much in gas (compared to $1.50/gal if you get 20mpg). If the average family's income is $50,000, you're talking about nearly 2% of their pretax income gone. Do they control that too?

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow. Really? Trust me, I can afford it. I am mad at the plight of my fellow countrymen who cannot.

We are not "entitled" to cheap fuel, but it can be obtained simply by government getting out of the way.

Do you tell people the same when they mention the cost of food, medicine, education, or any other part of life? Income comes from working, which generally requires gasoline to drive to.

If a person drives 25 miles per day, that is $910 a year he''s paying too much in gas (compared to $1.50/gal if you get 20mpg). If the average family's income is $50,000, you're talking about nearly 2% of their pretax income gone. Do they control that too?

I agree with you. They say, in economics, the price of something is a signal. One of the signals the price of gas is telling us is that maybe the cost of entry to competition is too high. In most other economic activities, if there is money to be made, competition will enter and it normally drives costs lower. But there is no desire by the global warming, anti-internal-combustion engine hating legislators to take action while one of their own is in the White House. Maybe in 2016, if a R is in the WH, they'll all of a sudden find their outrage once again.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I spent $220 more on gas this trip than I should have. That is a deal breaker for many to take the trip in the first place. And he still can't approve the keystone pipeline.

These are near record prices at a time of relatively low consumption. If the economy recovers and 10 million more people start driving to and from work every day you're going to see prices like you've never seen.

Quote on the radio the other day "The average price of gas went up .24 in central indiana yesterday. No word yet on why the increase." Why don't they just come out and say they are trying to hose the people going on spring break.

Also, There is no guarantee that the keystone pipeline will lower gas prices in the US. Most if not all that oil will refined and exported to other countries.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Here's a comment from my Facebook post of high gas prices and people not being able to fill tanks.

"This is so true.... When I fill up in brightwood by work it is usually $3- $5 in the previous transaction. We have a lot of job seekers coming to us everyday on foot & 1 of them told me last week when i had to be the bearer of bad news that we weren't hiring that he cannot afford to drive around & look for jobs so he was asking if I knew if the warehouse next door was hiring before he made the 1/2mi+ trek from our office. So sad."

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't assume that they only had $10 for gas. I've known many people (my wife included) who never fill up. I have no idea why but they exist.

Reminds me of George Carlin's quip about the dumbest people on the planet being those who run out of gas with a functional gas gauge.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You are on point here.
    Question to all......

Why do we have a weak dollar right now?????????????

Who's to say we do have a weak dollar?

Weak compared to what? Euro? Yen? Pork Bellies? HDTV?

You'll get vastly different assessments of the dollar depending upon the comparison you choose.

Compare the dollar now to the price of a computer in 1950. Dollar looks incredibly strong that way. Compare a dollar to price of gold, it looks much weaker.

Gold is a highly volatile commodity and is a poor choice of reference for what the value of a dollar is.

H

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How does that logic explain my graphs and post above? Value of the dollar is a factor, but not the majority

The value of the dollar is a factor.
    The major factor in your graph was, I believe, that the Mid-East oil suppliers flooded the market with oil after Bush's announcement in an effort to make oil so cheap in the short term that the companies couldn't justify the drilling costs.
    You can justify drilling at $140/barrel that doesn't make sense at $36/barrel.
    OPEC was just manipulating the market. About $80-90/barrel was the usual price; short term deviations from that were manipulations by suppliers.
    My :twocents:.
    YMMV (pun intended)

Top Bottom