• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We're driving home from Florida from our spring break trip I am now at my third gas station that had a last transaction of $10 even. that's three different stations in three states where people only had $10 to put in for gas and yet we as a country tolerate these ridiculous gas prices and permit politicians to do nothing to help us. We have become adjusted to paying insane prices for gas and don't realize how much it hurts anymore.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wouldn't assume that they only had $10 for gas. I've known many people (my wife included) who never fill up. I have no idea why but they exist.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I spent $220 more on gas this trip than I should have. That is a deal breaker for many to take the trip in the first place. And he still can't approve the keystone pipeline.

These are near record prices at a time of relatively low consumption. If the economy recovers and 10 million more people start driving to and from work every day you're going to see prices like you've never seen.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    the reason they do this is beacuse they are hoping it goes down soon. it happins to me all the time fill up from quater tank at 3.85, and the next day WHAMO! 3.65. this is why i do it. but im more like 20 at a time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's been quite awhile since I looked into it, but at one point a year or so ago, the US was a gasoline exporter. Right now, manufacturing the supply of gasoline in the US is not a problem.

What is maddening is that 5-6 years ago when gas broached the $4/gal threshold, the democrats in congress were wanting to practically haul the "big oil" CEO's in for treason. Now? :crickets chirping: (I think it's still Bush's fault).

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the reason they do this is beacuse they are hoping it goes down soon. it happins to me all the time fill up from quater tank at 3.85, and the next day WHAMO! 3.65. this is why i do it. but im more like 20 at a time.

So they would fill 2.8 gallons one day and walk into the store to do the cash payment, in an attempt to save $0.55 or so the next day?

I've done similar when trying to hop through a state with higher taxes but I didn't see much variation among these states.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    what'll really cook your noodle is seeing pump prices rise the day after a hurricane, when they cite 'environmental disaster caused it'
    pumped oil doesn't hit the gas station for about 6 months. its all a sham, really.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I have put in $10-15 before because I know it cheaper by $.25+ on the West side and I was on the North side. I only do it if I know I will be out later & not have to make a special trip.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    We Americans need to face the facts that we don't drive the price of gas in this country anymore by or demand vs availabilty. The price of gas is driven by the world market and the emerging economic powerhouses like China & India where personal motor vehicles where a dream just a decade ago.

No matter how much crude we pump out of the ground here the price of that crude is still dictated by the world market. The only effect we have on it is that it is sold in US dollars so as the dollar weakens the price rises while a strong dollar helps to hold the prices down.
    :patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We Americans need to face the facts that we don't drive the price of gas in this country anymore by or demand vs availabilty. The price of gas is driven by the world market and the emerging economic powerhouses like China & India where personal motor vehicles where a dream just a decade ago.

No matter how much crude we pump out of the ground here the price of that crude is still dictated by the world market. The only effect we have on it is that it is sold in US dollars so as the dollar weakens the price rises while a strong dollar helps to hold the prices down.
    :patriot:

You are on point here.
    Question to all......

Why do we have a weak dollar right now?????????????

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is totally commodity driven. The local prices have fluctuated 16 to 18 cents in the last 48 hours. Market forces not so much supply side.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually when they were saying the price of gold was rising due to the devaluation of the dollar, now that the price of gold is down, wouldn't that mean the dollar value has risen, and with the demand for gasoline down, shouldn't prices come down?

Since the size of this country is so huge that an automobile is virtually mandatory, the oil companies and everyone and thing related to them know they have us by the ... gas tank.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In light of these high gas prices, it might be interesting to know that where I work, we have a new manufacturing line that is capable of making parts for both v-6 and v-8 engines...at the time the equipment was bought, the company figured they'd be making more 6's than 8's. We are now in the process of buy more equipment to make additional v-8's. Apparently, folks are adapting to $3-4/gal gas prices.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So when we have all these ridiculous state-specific and season-specific blends of gasoline requirements that price is set due to a worldwide commodity? I dunno...

I will agree that it's a global supply/demand thing not just the US, but we can do our part to help. When Bush said he was going to open up off shore drilling, the price of oil went from $144 to $36 in six months. Strange coincidence. That had a LOT to do with what the US did in regards to its drilling policy. I understand nothing changed, but a statement from our president did a lot to help.

That corresponded to a drop in gasoline prices from $4.12 to $1.66. Drill here, drill now. It will work.

July 14, 2008 Bush opens up offshore leases and saves Americans BILLIONS at the pump. No other explanation for that.

gas_zpsfa2616c4.jpg

oil_zpsa7df5138.jpg

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The lowest recorded price for gasoline was in 1932: $0.17 per gallon.
    You could pay for it with two silver dimes and get 3 copper cents in change.
    Based on those silver dimes being worth $3.00 each today, based on their silver content, gasoline would have to be $5.10 per gallon to equal 1932's price in silver.

Gas is up because the dollar is down.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The lowest recorded price for gasoline was in 1932: $0.17 per gallon.
    You could pay for it with two silver dimes and get 3 copper cents in change.
    Based on those silver dimes being worth $3.00 each today, based on their silver content, gasoline would have to be $5.10 per gallon to equal 1932's price in silver.

Gas is up because the dollar is down.

I saw a similar explanation using a $50 gold piece and a suit as an example last year sometime.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    In light of these high gas prices, it might be interesting to know that where I work, we have a new manufacturing line that is capable of making parts for both v-6 and v-8 engines...at the time the equipment was bought, the company figured they'd be making more 6's than 8's. We are now in the process of buy more equipment to make additional v-8's. Apparently, folks are adapting to $3-4/gal gas prices.

Nothing warms my heart more than someone driving a 10mpg SUV *****ing about gas prices.

Unless it's someone who drives a 10mpg SUV *****ing about gas prices while buying lottery tickets and drinking bottled water.

Top Bottom