• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega 5.56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Vigo County
    Does anyone know the recommended gas port sizing for a 11.5" barrel? I believe I'm having an under-gassing issue on my AR pistol and have read that the gas port should be between .086" and .094" for an 11.5", .750" diameter barrel. I measured my gas port and it is .070".

Any information anyone can provide would be great, Thanks!

Omega 5.56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Vigo County
    I'm running PMC XTAC 5.56, Heavy buffer, heavy extractor spring, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, BCM gas tube. The bolt fails to lock back, even when the gas block is opened fully, does the same almost totally close. The common symptom I'm noticing is after a shot the the bolt will cycle and not toss the brass, so I'm thinking it isn't fully cycling, thus the under-gassing guess.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    have you tried a carbine buffer? so if you press the trigger a shot will go off but the case stays in the chamber?

Omega 5.56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Vigo County
    Yep, already tried a Carbine buffer. And yes I loaded one round into a magazine, chambered it, and fired. After the shot the trigger will be reset, but the empty casing is still in the chamber. I know the bolt is definitely coming back at least some, I just don't think it's far enough because it should lock back on the empty mag.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Is your gas block adjustable? IMO adjustable gas blocks in sbrs FTW. Adjust it so that it barely runs with the SBR then when you put the suppressor on you'll get a touch more gas for reliability. My opinion. For what it's worth.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    He already said he had an adjustable gas block and the gun won't run even with the gas wide open.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Also, is the gas block properly aligned with the port? Is there an equal-sized soot ring around the gas port?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom