• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Does anyone have these in there bug in or bug out bags? I do. I have a german hazmat suit and a isreali gas mask. 2 filters for the mask.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I used to, but I decided that any disaster that would require me to wear that sort of protective gear that I'd be better off just getting the heck out of Dodge instead.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Does anyone have these in there bug in or bug out bags? I do. I have a german hazmat suit and a isreali gas mask. 2 filters for the mask.

These wouldn't be a bad buy and kept inside the home. Gasmask.....maybe for a bug out bag. But Gasmasks and Hazmat suits wouldn't be a bad idea to have in the home.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Things to consider..

Decontamination.. If your buggin in, is your house air tight enough for you to be in the house without the suit and mask on? Do you have filtration setup to keep fresh air in the house?

What is the rated use for your filters? Some are mere hours.

If your buggin out, does your BOL have decon?

Do you have means to drink from your mask?

If you have not worn suits and mask then I suggest you practice.. Try wearing a suit alone for an entire day.. Real fun there..

Just my pennies, I don't know anything..

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've worn a chemical protection suit and mask in a room full of Sarin gas. You'd be surprised how easier it is to wear that stuff when you know you're in a hazardous environment.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've worn a chemical protection suit and mask in a room full of Sarin gas. You'd be surprised how easier it is to wear that stuff when you know you're in a hazardous environment.

how did you get into that situation?

Department of Justice has/had a WMD First Responder course, conducted at the former Chemical Weapons Training Center in Anniston Alabama. Part of that course is conducting various detection, first aid, and decontamination techniques in an actual chemical environment. I took that course in September of 2000.

We did a dry run in complete chemical protective gear the day before. It was hot enough that my nose kept stuffing up, making breathing difficult and giving me an almost overwhelming desire to yank my mask off. I had to have a medical evaluation to determine if I would be allowed to participate in the real chemical exercise. As I said, watching the chemical detectors go off when they poured the Sarin out on the table made that claustrophobic feeling go right away.:D

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Oh, btw, the process of decontamination once you've been in a contaminated environment, is a very exacting and resource-intensive process and chemical protective suits have limited protection lives, so if you only have one, you'd better use it to get to a true decontamination setup, or alternatively, you'd better be very sure of what you're doing when you set up your own decon facility.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Things to consider..

Decontamination.. If your buggin in, is your house air tight enough for you to be in the house without the suit and mask on? Do you have filtration setup to keep fresh air in the house?

What is the rated use for your filters? Some are mere hours.

If your buggin out, does your BOL have decon?

Do you have means to drink from your mask?

If you have not worn suits and mask then I suggest you practice.. Try wearing a suit alone for an entire day.. Real fun there..

Just my pennies, I don't know anything..
    I run in a suit that is similar to the suit and I wear my mask I have means of drinking and the place I'm going has decon

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    +1 to the guys talking about how much fun the suits are. I've been to Anniston twice now and it's definitely not fun to be in those suits doing exercises. The last course I took was July of this year, the ice vests they gave us lasted about 20 minutes before they were just warm water vests. To say they are hot, stuffy, and claustrophobic is an understatement. Not to mention if you're in full SCBA the packs are heavy and you get tired of hearing yourself breath like Darth Vader. The firemen can keep that crap.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Oh, btw, the process of decontamination once you've been in a contaminated environment, is a very exacting and resource-intensive process and chemical protective suits have limited protection lives, so if you only have one, you'd better use it to get to a true decontamination setup, or alternatively, you'd better be very sure of what you're doing when you set up your own decon facility.

The place on going to is a national guard armory. I bet they have MOPP gear. If they don't then I'll just find high ground and maybe some atropine

James

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    The place on going to is a national guard armory. I bet they have MOPP gear. If they don't then I'll just find high ground and maybe some atropine

You'd lose that bet looking for MOPP gear at an armory. Good luck finding atropine there as well.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We've got a couple of czech masks and replacement filters for the US version along with some pvc fittings to make the US filters work...They have connectors to plug into our surplus canteens.

I think you'd better do some intensive research about those fittings before you trust your life to them in a WMD environment. The Air Force had to abandon a whole generation of protective masks because it was discovered that the Butyl material that made up the face piece tended to break down under some chemical mixes.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    +1 to the guys talking about how much fun the suits are. I've been to Anniston twice now and it's definitely not fun to be in those suits doing exercises. The last course I took was July of this year, the ice vests they gave us lasted about 20 minutes before they were just warm water vests. To say they are hot, stuffy, and claustrophobic is an understatement. Not to mention if you're in full SCBA the packs are heavy and you get tired of hearing yourself breath like Darth Vader. The firemen can keep that crap.

Yeah. I went through in mid-September when it was warm, but not particularly hot (as I remember it). We didn't have the luxury of the cooling vests, but then, we weren't carrying SCBA, either. The HAZMAT guys were probably at least an order of magnitude more miserable than we were.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I think you'd better do some intensive research about those fittings before you trust your life to them in a WMD environment. The Air Force had to abandon a whole generation of protective masks because it was discovered that the Butyl material that made up the face piece tended to break down under some chemical mixes.
    We'll be good, if it's that bad then a couple of old masks aren't going to save us.....at least I'm better prepared than most. My main concern would be the weaker gasses used for crowd control or breaching, I'm not talking WWIII full out NCBR attacks.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yeah. I went through in mid-September when it was warm, but not particularly hot (as I remember it). We didn't have the luxury of the cooling vests, but then, we weren't carrying SCBA, either. The HAZMAT guys were probably at least an order of magnitude more miserable than we were.

The last class I took was the HARM class, which is a new class for students who have been through Cobra previously. I decided to avoid being on the HAZMAT entry team, those guys were half dead when they got out of the building we were using for the scenario. One guy decided to wear his normal class A police uniform while the rest of us wore shorts and t-shirts, still not sure how that guy didn't dehydrate. Going through Cobra the next day with A/C and just Lanx suits was a God-send. Everybody made it through, although I was sort of hoping to see somebody get hit with a Mark I/NAAK kit. :):

Top Bottom