• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Just load/unload it in the parking lot."

I see the magical force field generated by cars did not work . . . yet again.

Sand barrels people. Load or unload into something like it. Everytime, every single time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland

I just dont see how this happens,

I mean I KNOW how it happens but in his position he should have already known how to, and
    how not to operate his firearm.

amazing, friggn amazing:n00b:

This was NO accident, just simple neglect of common knowledge and carelessness , he had his finger on the trigger and pointed towards his partner, While loading,,,,,wow.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    When I read the title, I already knew the gun in question was going to be a Glock.
    I do hope though that the two officer's will be alright.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    "Just load/unload it in the parking lot."

I see the magical force field generated by cars did not work . . . yet again.

Sand barrels people. Load or unload into something like it. Everytime, every single time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

really? i have never had a firearm ever discharge on me when loading/unloading in 10 yrs of owning them. It was a neglegent discharge by someone who got too comfortable with them.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just dont see how this happens,

I mean I KNOW how it happens but in his position he should have already known how to, and
    how not to operate his firearm.

amazing, friggn amazing:n00b:

This was NO accident, just simple neglect of common knowledge and carelessness , he had his finger on the trigger and pointed towards his partner, While loading,,,,,wow.

He probably thought it was unloaded. After all, unloaded weapons are safe. Oh wait, he was loading it. :dunno: Guess we better ban those dangerous firearms so the police do not hurt themselves.

Do I really need to add the purple? :facepalm:

I think the guy forgot to read :rules:

Maybe there is some wisdom in forced retirement on the 68th birthday.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    really? i have never had a firearm ever discharge on me when loading/unloading in 10 yrs of owning them. It was a neglegent discharge by someone who got too comfortable with them.

Sand Barrels? My firearms only go bang when i pull the trigger...

I used to think this until I saw a guy chamber a round in his bolt action rifle and the gun went off, his hand was nowhere near the trigger, it was still on the bolt

Just because it's never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    No, wait a minute, WHAT???? Himself AND his partner!!!???? And these are the guys that for their safety take our weapons from us while investigating the validity of our possession??????

And people wonder why I didn't declare the one time I got pulled over while carrying!!!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    When I read the title, I already knew the gun in question was going to be a Glock.
    I do hope though that the two officer's will be alright.

Why would a Glock be different than any other pistol? Virtually every pistol can fire without a magazine inserted. There are countless pistols out here that do not have a manual safety including most Sigs, and the most popular version of the M&P.

I do not own a Glock, and I don't particularly care for them, BUT ND"s are possible with ANY firearm. That is why you MUST read the manual, and thoroughly familiarize yourself with a pistol BEFORE loading it. I take a new firearm to the range and learn how it works before I ever load the magazine. Then, when I am sure I know how it operates, I load a magazine, test fire it, and practice with it. After several magazines, I make a decision as to whether I am comfortable carrying that weapon. Sometimes more practice is required, sometimes it gets sold or traded.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    really? i have never had a firearm ever discharge on me when loading/unloading in 10 yrs of owning them.

Stick around. If you are around guns long enough, you will see it.

Sand Barrels? My firearms only go bang when i pull the trigger

It is not necessary to pull the trigger to make a firearm discharge.

Every time, every single time you load a firearm, the weapon may discharge, especially given platforms with inertia firing pins, 870s, 1911s, etc.

Next time you are at the range, load your AR-15 and then unload it, sling your weapon and then pick the cartridge off the deck. Inspect the primer on the ejected cartridge, see the dimple? Right, every time you load the firing pin is kissing the primer. High primer, longer than spec firing pin, dirt stuck in firing pin spring, inter alia, the weapon will discharge.

This did not happen to me until a couple of years ago at Shootrite with an 870. We were doing one-handed relioading drills and I loaded one round of Remington #00 buckshot, closed the action and the weapon discharged. My finger was not on the trigger and I have several witnesses.

We need to kill this inane notion that weapons do not discharge accidently upon loading or unloading as they do. For too long we have had people tell us "just unload it in the parking lot."

O.K., but if I load or unload in the parking lot, I get to use your car as a backstop.

Rule #2 always applies.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I used to think this until I saw a guy chamber a round in his bolt action rifle and the gun went off, his hand was nowhere near the trigger, it was still on the bolt

I got an email from John Farnam a week or so ago about a similar incident. The AR did not go bang when it was supposed to. The operator dropped the mag, ejected the round, and reinserted the mag. He chambered a round, and a couple of seconds later the gun fired. The dissembled the weapon, and their postmortem decision was that a blown primer had caused the firing pin to become jammed, and subsequently release causing the discharge.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    This incident was not the result of Glocks or lack of sand barrels. It is lack of training. The reason sand barrels exist is because of lack of training. The city administrators who approve budgets for police departments are not willing to fund them to be trained until this cannot happen. They would rather buy radar guns and computers and tactical stuff than make sure their officers NEVER point a muzzle at themselves or their partners. And this has been going on for a very long time. The era I grew up in had no sand barrels or people suing gun manufacturers for their own stupid acts.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Stick around. If you are around guns long enough, you will see it.

It is not necessary to pull the trigger to make a firearm discharge.

Every time, every single time you load a firearm, the weapon may discharge, especially given platforms with inertia firing pins, 870s, 1911s, etc.

Next time you are at the range, load your AR-15 and then unload it, sling your weapon and then pick the cartridge off the deck. Inspect the primer on the ejected cartridge, see the dimple? Right, every time you load the firing pin is kissing the primer. High primer, longer than spec firing pin, dirt stuck in firing pin spring, inter alia, the weapon will discharge.

This did not happen to me until a couple of years ago at Shootrite with an 870. We were doing one-handed relioading drills and I loaded one round of Remington #00 buckshot, closed the action and the weapon discharged. My finger was not on the trigger and I have several witnesses.

We need to kill this inane notion that weapons do not discharge accidently upon loading or unloading as they do. For too long we have had people tell us "just unload it in the parking lot."

O.K., but if I load or unload in the parking lot, I get to use your car as a backstop.

Rule #2 always applies.

Valid points. While not kicking on Gary PD they must be doing some things wrong up there. They recently had 8 or 12 basic recruits that failed firearms at ILEA!! A lot of big inner city folks are not gun people.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Been known to happen with pump shotguns, too, and ARs are capable of firing when the bolt is closed. Hence, the necesity of not, for example, pointing your gun at you or your partner, or anyone else for that matter!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This incident was not the result of Glocks or lack of sand barrels. It is lack of training. The reason sand barrels exist is because of lack of training. The city administrators who approve budgets for police departments are not willing to fund them to be trained until this cannot happen. They would rather buy radar guns and computers and tactical stuff than make sure their officers NEVER point a muzzle at themselves or their partners. And this has been going on for a very long time. The era I grew up in had no sand barrels or people suing gun manufacturers for their own stupid acts.

Agreed, but what a sand barrel does is give a designated "safe" place to point the muzzle while chambering a round, etc. I 100% get what you are saying, and agree, but it still gives a designated place to point the muzzle where nothing will get destroyed should a discharge occur, regardless if it was caused by a malfunction or not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    lack of sand barrels. It is lack of training

Problem is that training cannot prevent accidental discharges. I had 50 times the training of the average 10 year police veteran when my 870 discharged.

Every time, every single time you load the weapon, the weapon may discharge. A sand barrel satisfies Rule #4 and prevents sending officers to the hospital.

Instead of loading in his car (what is the fascination about jacking with guns in cars?), the officer should have had a safe area to make ready without waving his gun about Gary, Indiana or his partner.

Don't listen to people who tell you "just unload/load it in the parking lot." There is nothing magical about cars that prevent ADs. Guns DO go bang when triggers are not touched.

Been known to happen with pump shotguns, too, and ARs are capable of firing when the bolt is closed.

Tell me about it!!!:D

Top Bottom