• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They are terrible things. I actually stepped on a rake and hit myself in the head like in the cartoons once... okay maybe twice... I can only imagine the damage that would have been done if it was a child that got hit.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    At this rate all children we be sitting in padded-cell classrooms within five years. Every student will be on the equivalent of suicide watch--no shoestrings, no mirrors or windows. Just a TV in the padded wall with a digital teacher.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    At this rate all children we be sitting in padded-cell classrooms within five years. Every student will be on the equivalent of suicide watch--no shoestrings, no mirrors or windows. Just a TV in the padded wall with a digital teacher.

Lord I hope not but what you say is sad but true. I hate that my kids are growing up in this sissy state nonsense. :noway:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    When I was a young teen our local grade school started a summer garden program for their students. They asked for volunteer mentors (a word that wasn't used back then) from the local Middle School who had prior gardening/farming experience. Being the farm lad that I was, of course I volunteered. We were using not only gardening tools, but also we used weed whips to help clear the patches. At one point I even brought in a couple of scythes from home to use on the high weeds.
    Today they would have us using a plastic knife to cut the weeds, a plastic fork for a rake, and a plastic spoon to dig with!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They are terrible things. I actually stepped on a rake and hit myself in the head like in the cartoons once... okay maybe twice... I can only imagine the damage that would have been done if it was a child that got hit.

[ame]http://youtu.be/EryhQdXTjP8[/ame]

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Why ban garden tools? :scratch:

The teacher "displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers", and their proper use. Don't see the need to punish all rakes and shovels for the misdeeds of a few pliers. God forbid he had a hammer in there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Uh.... what garden tools?

The teacher had " garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class."

Still absolutely moronic on the part of the school. Weapons? Really? Their pencils can inflict as much damage as a screwdriver.

My 3-year-old loves to help "daddy" with jobs around the house. I routinely let her carry my tools for me, and even "fix" things with wrenches, screwdrivers, and a rubber mallet. What exactly is the issue?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

The teacher had " garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class."
    Surprised no one else picked up on this. They weren't even garden tools. Who was editing that article and let the title go through like that. As you also said, still ridiculous.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    In our school systems, the terrorists have won. I've never seen anything like the frenzied paranoia occurring all throughout the educational system after the Sandy Hook shootings.

Nearly every single day we now have suspensions, arrests, home raids, and investigations, all over the dumbest stuff like squirt guns, shirts, finger pointing, craft paper, and now tools. NONE of this should be happening, none of it. And what has been happening should be undone, but it isn't. Teachers and administrators have lost their minds, and no one seems to be putting them in their place. Instead, their insanity is spreading like a disease.

Someone just needs to smack them all in the face! They all act like Sandy Hook gave them PTSD, even though they weren't there. Even if they are trying to learn from Sandy Hook, and improve their safety, how does punishing a kid for pointing his finger, or making a paper gun, or wearing an NRA shirt have anything to do with that? Do tools even pose a real risk? I don't think so.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Why ban garden tools? :scratch:

The teacher "displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers", and their proper use. Don't see the need to punish all rakes and shovels for the misdeeds of a few pliers. God forbid he had a hammer in there.

Well, horrors or horrors: What would have happened if the teacher had brought in a SAW? Not a power saw either, just a regular hand saw.

I can almost see it now...SWAT called in, school and nearby businesses on lockdown, FBI negotiator trying to talk him down...

Sheesh...:rolleyes:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Makes me wonder what kids are going to use to write things down in class if things continue this way. You could easily poke your eye out with a pencil and paper can cause nasty cuts. It just seems like a lot of people are losing their minds. It's like they forgot what it was like to be a kid. Most people who are in their 30s or older grew up doing the very things that "we" (I use the term very loosely) won't let our kids do today. The mindset is baffling to me

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Makes me wonder what kids are going to use to write things down in class if things continue this way. You could easily poke your eye out with a pencil and paper can cause nasty cuts. It just seems like a lot of people are losing their minds. It's like they forgot what it was like to be a kid. Most people who are in their 30s or older grew up doing the very things that "we" (I use the term very loosely) won't let our kids do today. The mindset is baffling to me

This is why the kids in our school system are required to have an iPad. I will not be surprised if homework et al is moved to a digital only medium soon.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I read the court brief on this. It wasn't just garden tools, other tools etc.

He was busted on bringing in utiliy knives and some box cutters.

Should this be illegal? No. But did it violate Il state law and school policy. Yes. The teacher's argument is that the no knives/weapons policy is only written in the student handbook and not in the employee policy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I read the court brief on this. It wasn't just garden tools, other tools etc.

He was busted on bringing in utiliy knives and some box cutters.

Should this be illegal? No. But did it violate Il state law and school policy. Yes. The teacher's argument is that the no knives/weapons policy is only written in the student handbook and not in the employee policy.

Well, THAT is an important tidbit of information that should have been shared!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Hmm... I read it (mixed up) as "variety garden tools" and figured he was showing how to use the pliers, screwdrivers and such to build gardeny stuff (like climbing cages or mini hot-house things). My bad.

I read the court brief on this.

Well, THAT is an important tidbit of information that should have been shared!

Truly, kind of important. Where did you get the court brief, TaunTaun?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is why the kids in our school system are required to have an iPad. I will not be surprised if homework et al is moved to a digital only medium soon.

Are you serious???? That is the most asinine thing. They've already stopped teaching kids cursive. Pretty soon they won't know how to write at all. Smh...

Top Bottom