• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    For those without a "dead bolt" type lock on their garage doors, here's a quick and easy way to add security and also find a use for those annoying gun locks.

It's best to pick a hole as close as possible to one of the wheels to minimize door travel.

IMG_0326.jpg

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I prefer something that's a little harder to cut off. The optimum is the shortest shackle possible to make it more difficult to use bolt cutters. My barn has an overhead door, and I use 1" clearance hardened shackle padlocks in the tracks. My theory is if they kick in the man door, they are not going to drive my tractor, or my XUV out without a lot of work.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I prefer something that's a little harder to cut off. The optimum is the shortest shackle possible to make it more difficult to use bolt cutters. My barn has an overhead door, and I use 1" clearance hardened shackle padlocks in the tracks. My theory is if they kick in the man door, they are not going to drive my tractor, or my XUV out without a lot of work.

But it's inside the garage.It's not something you can cut off unless you're already inside. :dunno:

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I like the lock idea, never thought of that one. I do use Vice Grips clamped to the track to keep from opening from the outside. Pass door has the typ. reinforcement, long screws in the hinges, steel plate built to fit the strikers with long bolts along with a plate that sandwich's the door itself at the knob and deadbolt. This helps if they try to use a pry bar, the door will not bend and collapse allowing access,

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a good idea. We have been doing this with a deep reach master pad lock for years. One on both sides as you can jack a door up against one single lock.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    Broomstick through the larger square holes in the track works well against outside intruders, it wouldn't take me long to open any door from the inside no matter how you locked it, but that's because I know a thing or two about doors, garage doors, and locks. A masterlock is no more than a minor inconvenience after learning and practicing how to pick a Medeco Biaxial

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Broomstick through the larger square holes in the track works well against outside intruders, it wouldn't take me long to open any door from the inside no matter how you locked it, but that's because I know a thing or two about doors, garage doors, and locks. A masterlock is no more than a minor inconvenience after learning and practicing how to pick a Medeco Biaxial

True. I used to be adept at locks but way out of practice. If you get into my shop you have made so much noise and set off a few catch all's lights etc. that any real self surviving thief is gone. We have the windows barred and the entry door is solid with pinned hinges and a reinforced jamb. There is no way to get more than a 4 ft run at it. Not impossible but very, very difficult.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    But it's inside the garage.It's not something you can cut off unless you're already inside. :dunno:

Please reread my post. My barn has a man door. If someone were to forcibly enter that way they could easily trailer my wheeled vehicles away. High quality secure padlocks that are difficult to cut off will likely slow them down.

Also, many garages have access to the garage from inside the house. Enter the house from a man door, drive a truck up to the garage door, and load up what you want. Again a secure padlock may slow them down, or force to use them to carry items out the door they came in through.

Case in point. Two years ago we had a burglary in the neighborhood. The thieves drove off with the victims pickup truck loaded with his possessions.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    A masterlock is no more than a minor inconvenience after learning and practicing how to pick a Medeco Biaxial

Took and passed a locksmithing course back in the early 90's. Today I still key, rekey and master key locksets. I am also tasked with gaining entry for other property managers, banks, realtors and the like.

I pick when I can. I don't do it enough to have the finesse to do much more than rake. If it is cold or I am in a hurry I use brute force.

Never played with one of those biaxial units. Looks intriguing. Actually I don't bump either. Just not as easy for the layman as the media hype makes it out to be.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom