• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    exactly why I use a gmail account for my online stuff. I did a ftf trade with a guy from Arfcom. His email to me included his full name. A name so different that probably no one else in the whole country has. I did a google search and had his address and myspace page. He had different guns posted on his myspace page. I knew that he was expecting a child, wasn't married and was a college student all before I ever met him. If I had ill intentions, I had a lot of information on this guy.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    exactly why I use a gmail account for my online stuff. I did a ftf trade with a guy from Arfcom. His email to me included his full name. A name so different that probably no one else in the whole country has. I did a google search and had his address and myspace page. He had different guns posted on his myspace page. I knew that he was expecting a child, wasn't married and was a college student all before I ever met him. If I had ill intentions, I had a lot of information on this guy.

Good catch on the GM info, a far as info on the net.... each & everyone of us, even if you dont have your real name or info publicaly displayed can be easily identified just by using this forum. Anyone with very minimal computer knowledge can figure out where you live & how much your home is worth on the internet without paying a dime. For kicks & grins, try googling your user name.. you might be suprized:twocents:

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    UPDATE

Okay. Just an update on this topic. I called and spoke with a customer support representative through their corporate phone number. The lady, Maria, listened to the entire situation and showed great concern when I addressed this as a public safety situation. We discussed the topic for a few minutes and even discussed what level of authority needed to initially know about this. She explained to me that she had the ability to call or email any level, all the way to the top if she needed. After we finished speaking she planned to call and bring this up with the person in charge of the district managers.

They have my contact info (email and phone) and they are supposed to give me an update as to how they resolve this public security issue.

I'll keep us informed

Hank

IndianaCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Indy-Southside
    I was just at Dicks Sporting Goods in Greenwood yesterday and noticed they did the same thing. The receipt was taped to the front of a safe with a guy's full name.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    I was just at Dicks Sporting Goods in Greenwood yesterday and noticed they did the same thing. The receipt was taped to the front of a safe with a guy's full name.

The name doesn't scare me all that much. It takes way more effort if you are only looking at a name. The phone number in 90% of cases may as well be somebody's address. Just makes it way to easy.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    It seems like every time I am in Gander I find a rifle on the wall with either an overly loose trigger lock fitting (on there but trigger can still easily be pulled) or none at all. I always bring it to the attention of staff members and I wish they kept a better eye on that kind of stuff. The way i have seem some people handle those guns scares the crap out of me especially if the triggers are not properly locked

Mike.45ACP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Thank you for the call out Hank. You have a justified concern in the experience that you had, which we take very seriously. I can assure you this is not a practice to leave merchandise on the sales floor with a customer phone number attached to it. When items are tagged with customer info for hold, they are to be removed from the sales floor immediately and placed into a secure back stock area. The Indiana store in question has removed any items that they were holding to the back room, and has covered this practice with all of their associates. We are confident in the training that our new and existing Store Managers have gone thru, but will re-communicate the proper procedure of this practice to all store associates nationwide as well this week. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you.

Good Shooting!

Mike Wolkerstorfer
    Gander Mountain
    Senior Operations Manager
    651-325-4315

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The name doesn't scare me all that much. It takes way more effort if you are only looking at a name. The phone number in 90% of cases may as well be somebody's address. Just makes it way to easy.

But in some cases, like mine, there's no one else in this country with the same name as mine. All of the other Frankingun's are in Europe! :rockwoot: Seriously though, a very unique name could be searched very easily.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Thank you for the call out Hank. You have a justified concern in the experience that you had, which we take very seriously. I can assure you this is not a practice to leave merchandise on the sales floor with a customer phone number attached to it. When items are tagged with customer info for hold, they are to be removed from the sales floor immediately and placed into a secure back stock area. The Indiana store in question has removed any items that they were holding to the back room, and has covered this practice with all of their associates. We are confident in the training that our new and existing Store Managers have gone thru, but will re-communicate the proper procedure of this practice to all store associates nationwide as well this week. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you.

Good Shooting!

Mike Wolkerstorfer
    Gander Mountain
    Senior Operations Manager
    651-325-4315

Mike, thank you for your response. I also appreciate the phone update from Leslie Byrom. She informed me their actions are not current policy and how they planned to manage things from this point forward. As you probably know most crime is is never planned and is usually just opportunity. I know all of us appreciate you taking the time to listen to us and help create less opportunities for criminals.

Also congrats on finding INGO!

Top Bottom