• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    and the manager said ? ....................................that's what I thought

ever been to a car dealer and "looked" inside a car already sold - maybe even sat in it? but wasn't allowed to drive it

If the OP would ha e talked to the manager and the manager would ha e been the one that argued with me at the Greenwood store on Saturday it would have done the OP no good to have talked to said manager. The manager that I dealth with was EXTREMELY rude and was being rude to every customer he spoke with.
    Before you go spouting off about.long days with customers and working in a retail sales position for minimum wage I have been there done that and I was NEVER rude to a customer. I was a butcher for Kroger and Marsh as well as my own slaughterhouse and retail meat shop. When I walked in the door I was a smile from then until I walked out no matter what even as I was going through my first divorce.
    I have seen enough stupidity from the jacka$$e$ at GM and I will never step a foot into one.of their stores again. I will ONLY give my firearms business to local shops and I will likely order everything else online or go to Bass Pro or Cabela's in Dundee. The Dundee store is atleast a 4 hour drive from us but the guys in Hammond were about as stupid as the GM guys.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    My favorite gunsmith says dry firing is definitely not "good" for any gun. My Beretta says right in the owner's manual not to dry fire it. And it is a "modern" striker fired gun.
    Gander Mountain should definitely teach their employees not to let people repeatedly dry fire their guns. Once, maybe to test the trigger pull, but once should be sufficient.
    Dry fire your own as much as you want but never someone else's gun without their permission!

You can dry fire anything, but you can also do damage. That's why snap caps were invented. Cheap insurance to be sure.

and if they dont have any issue w/ dry firing then dry fire away. rimfires should never be dryfired, but centerfires are normally g2g.

Suppose thats the reason I stated MOST?

Ever venture to guess how many times a Military Arm is dry fired?

Do you count ever round while firing your bolt action or lever action, or pump, or many semi auto rifles? Bet not!

Many, not all, but many modern .22 rimfires now have firing pin stops so that the firing pin can not reach the chamber mouth.

I know for a fact my Henry has as does my 22A Smith, and the following--Biathlon, Tila, Norinco olympia, and my Ruger Single Six.

Not sure about the other 34 .22 rimfires in my collection tho. And I'm not going to go take the time to check them all.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A gun store in Lafayette, that shall remain un-named, that I used to go to exclusively did the same kind of thing. I was there looking at guns and talking to the regs and the owner said "Hey, look what came in today for a customer!" It was a new HK Mark 23 that a customer had paid him to receive. He was letting everyone mess with it. After witnessing that, I always went in right when he would be receiving my guns. A gun on layaway or a transfer should not be handled by others. It doesn't surprise me that GM does that. Some of their employees are intelligent, knowledgeable people. Others...not so much.

ganderslander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    At GM the employees are told not to allow any of their employees to dry fire guns unless it is a mosern ruger, smith or sig (all are ok due to solid pins or placement of safety strikers..furthermore no GM employee makes minimum wage they all start above minimum & lastly if you dont like what they do then dont stand in line for hours just to buy a box of ammo or "fondle a gun"...instead go pay more from some private shop, they do the best they can with what they have, at least they have good service & selection on Thursday mornings in FW! Now off my high horse & back to reloading....

Starved Rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    That GM allows firearms on layaway to be handled and dry fired by customers is something I appreciate knowing - thanks to the op for pointing this out.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    A lay away should be off limits and the manager of the store needs to make his employees aware of that fact. You want to dry fire something buy it and have at it.

sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    I think the bottom line they are doing the best they can with this rush. I have bought several handgun there once they wait on you its 30-40 min for the paperwork.
    I'm ok with that and I have gotten some great deals there.
    Just my 2 cents

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think the bottom line they are doing the best they can with this rush. I have bought several handgun there once they wait on you its 30-40 min for the paperwork.
    I'm ok with that and I have gotten some great deals there.
    Just my 2 cents

I don't think people are complaining about the level of service in that aspect. If I have to wait because of the rush, fine. If they don't have ammo, fine. But if I have a gun on layaway, no one should be touching it but me. If I fail to pay, whatever, the gun isn't mine. When I go to gander, I see a lot of people buying their first guns. I don't want them screwing with mine. I wouldn't let someone learn to drive a manual transmission on my nice car. That being said, I will never use layaway. I save up and then buy it. That doesn't work well in the "if you see it you better buy it" atmosphere that we have now though.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    However I would think a gun on layaway should be off limits.

It should be off limits... pulling it out for a customer to SEE should be all that is allowed, if that (no handling).

I worked retail for over 10 yrs. The law-a-way items was put in the lay-a-way area and remained there until one of two things happened. It was paid off and picked up by the customer or it was put back into inventory when the customer failed to pay their payments on time (which we was always very lenient on).

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    That GM allows firearms on layaway to be handled and dry fired by customers is something I appreciate knowing - thanks to the op for pointing this out.

My intention all along. I will still be going back to GM and spending money in the future. I would've asked for a manager but there was a frenzy going on at the time I witnessed said event.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    and the owner said "Hey, look what came in today for a customer!" It was a new HK Mark 23 that a customer had paid him to receive. He was letting everyone mess with it.

Which is way over the limits in my book.

Think of this happening... you purchase a pistol from someone. They send the firearm to your local FFL. It gets handled by 'others' in the shop, get scratched or damaged.

You go to pick it up and it no longer looks like the photos the seller had in his listing or had sent to you. Now, you're pissed at them! Because you think they misrepresented their pistol.

Can of worms! And in the end I would be pissed if/when the truth came out! :xmad:

heofon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I have heard from several gun magazines that dry firing is okay and should even be done for defensive carry handgun training. One article said it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. They proposed dry firing in lieu of however many rounds that would take. For me, at least, I think this is good advice.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Oh dear! Another bash GM thread! Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Why do we expect anything different? With so many threads on here detailing the GM failures, one would think we would quit going there. But wait, they still have guns and ammo, and scopes, and holsters, and other fun stuff.

A new motto for GM: The Gun Store We Love to Hate.:D

Absolutely correct!

Everyone thinks in this community we can actually make a difference?

At the gun range, I often drop questions as to whether shooters belong to INGO, and I'm met with a blank stare. There are a LOT of gun enthusiasts who have and never will here of INGO. Just a fact of life. So....we're preaching to the choir. :ingo:

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    If he put it in layaway (not even sure Gander Mountain does that), it's not his gun yet.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    If he put it in layaway (not even sure Gander Mountain does that), it's not his gun yet.

I couldn't disagree more.

If I put a sizeable down payment on a car (for example), and agree to come back in 2 weeks and pay it off and take delivery..... that 'dealer' better not be letting ANYONE test drive my chitt! :noway: :noway:

Combsie- Thanks for posting this...

Top Bottom