• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    Just thought I'd let everyone know what I witnessed at GM the other day. I was there paying down a layaway, and while I was waiting I witnessed an employee helping some hot shot kid who clearly knew nothing about firearms. He was asking about, handling, and dry firing every gun behind the counter. The employee even offered to go get "someone's" gun from the back that was purchased on layaway because there wasn't any display model! He brought out someone's gun and let "Hollywood" grease it up and dry fire the hell out of it. I was astounded at what I saw and had the urge to level the employee, but instead gave him an ass-chewing. Just have to wonder how many times they do this?:n00b:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Just thought I'd let everyone know what I witnessed at GM the other day. I was there paying down a layaway, and while I was waiting I witnessed an employee helping some hot shot kid who clearly knew nothing about firearms. He was asking about, handling, and dry firing every gun behind the counter. The employee even offered to go get "someone's" gun from the back that was purchased on layaway because there wasn't any display model! He brought out someone's gun and let "Hollywood" grease it up and dry fire the hell out of it. I was astounded at what I saw and had the urge to level the employee, but instead gave him an ass-chewing. Just have to wonder how many times they do this?:n00b:

I'd be surprised if anyone is surprised about this...

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Do whats wrong with dry firing a modern firearm. Most are OK to do that to, only a few any more aren't, offhand the only one I can think of the the Heritage pistols.

However I would think a gun on layaway should be off limits.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Oh dear! Another bash GM thread! Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Why do we expect anything different? With so many threads on here detailing the GM failures, one would think we would quit going there. But wait, they still have guns and ammo, and scopes, and holsters, and other fun stuff.

A new motto for GM: The Gun Store We Love to Hate.:D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Why do we expect anything different? With so many threads on here detailing the GM failures, one would think we would quit going there. But wait, they still have guns and ammo, and scopes, and holsters, and other fun stuff.

Just giving "Don" a break.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.

I complain about GM a lot also, but I keep going back. From time to time you DO find decent stuff there, and lets face it, they have a good stock of hand guns and rifles. It is not a bad store, its just the help that they have needs better training. Some of them need a little common sence and to be a little less rude.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I stopped going there when they put everything behid the counter. Their customer service is bad enough, now I have to wait to even handle a gun. :noway:

I hear now that you have to take a number...

Last edited:

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    I would rather take a number and reserve my time with the salesperson than have to fight through the zombies.

At least they are trying to be somewhat organized in this mess we're in.

I bet a lot of you would pay extra next weekend at the Indy 1500 zombie expo just to have a number.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Rather than chewing out the employee, I'd have spoken to the manager directly. I'm sure that handling & demonstrating a law-away item, which a customer has already paid a least a significant portion of its price, is against their policy.

Of course I've said before that the "qualifications" for an employee at Gander Mtn., even in the firearms dept, is little more than the willingness to work for minimum wage.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Still gonna pass on the festivities down to the fair grounds. Nothing but ass smell and overpriced junk, is my suspicion. Not saying there won't be a few good deals, almost has to be in a show that size, but not enough to justify putting up with the crowd.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    My favorite gunsmith says dry firing is definitely not "good" for any gun. My Beretta says right in the owner's manual not to dry fire it. And it is a "modern" striker fired gun.
    Gander Mountain should definitely teach their employees not to let people repeatedly dry fire their guns. Once, maybe to test the trigger pull, but once should be sufficient.
    Dry fire your own as much as you want but never someone else's gun without their permission!

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Do whats wrong with dry firing a modern firearm. Most are OK to do that to, only a few any more aren't, offhand the only one I can think of the the Heritage pistols.

You can dry fire anything, but you can also do damage. That's why snap caps were invented. Cheap insurance to be sure.

As ziggy said, Beretta doesn't recommend it so I don't do it. I doubt I would do it regardless of what gun I owned.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Being in layaway the pistol still belongs to GM and therefore it is fully w/in their rights to allow other customers to fondle it.... and if they dont have any issue w/ dry firing then dry fire away. rimfires should never be dryfired, but centerfires are normally g2g.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Being in layaway the pistol still belongs to GM and therefore it is fully w/in their rights to allow other customers to fondle it...

I'm not sure I agree. By that logic, if the layaway item was lost, damaged, stolen by Gander Mtn., they would have no responsibility to the person who paid at least part of the purchase price (and probably a layaway fee as well) against the full price.

Where does "ownership" attach in a layaway arrangement? I'm not clear on this, but a good place to start might be the customer's layaway agreement. That likely details the rights and responsibilities of both parties. Since that person is not a part of this conversation, we might not find out.

Anyone else do a Gander Mtn layaway and could share the fine print?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm not sure I agree. By that logic, if the layaway item was lost, damaged, stolen by Gander Mtn., they would have no responsibility to the person who paid at least part of the purchase price (and probably a layaway fee as well) against the full price.

Where does "ownership" attach in a layaway arrangement? I'm not clear on this, but a good place to start might be the customer's layaway agreement. That likely details the rights and responsibilities of both parties. Since that person is not a part of this conversation, we might not find out.

Anyone else do a Gander Mtn layaway and could share the fine print?

valid well spoken arguement... I am not sure i can speak to the opposite w/ any sort of factual answer. but ill try and defend my stance even though its on shaky ground. but ill start w/ this, i dont agree w/ layaways at all, for the same reason i dont own credit cards. If you cant afford it, dont buy it. (lets not get into that arguement though and stay on topic)

GM retains posession, you have not filled out any 4473, you have signed a form commiting to buy w/in a period of time for face loosing money. they are still a business so showing that item to another customer might help them get a sale.

opposite side, the customer is financially invested in an item in its condition when the put money on it, having someone else handle it stands the chance for that condition to be altered. (risky but not wrong)

you have already signed something agreeing to purchase, the same reason we have earnest money when we try to buy houses.... once the offer is accepted and the earnest money cashed, even though we dont own the house yet, it wouldnt be right for the realtor to keep showing it to other people.

so i dunno, maybe you are right on this one.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    and the manager said ? ....................................that's what I thought

ever been to a car dealer and "looked" inside a car already sold - maybe even sat in it? but wasn't allowed to drive it

Top Bottom