• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahuey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Indy
    Best I can tell the ammo shortage is getting worse. I have seen the shelves slowly have less and less. I heard about the lines and had to see for myself. It was comical.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    It does amaze me that if I take the high road, folks like you will take the low and name call and attack me personally. When I attempt to make it easier for you to understand and use language you use on me, you take the high road and Bless Me. I find this amusing, it's like when I debate the existence of God with an atheist. You just can't do it because they are already decided so it come down to doing what Solomon warns me not to do, argue with fools.

Maybe you are idly rich enough to want the poor not to be able to be able to afford ammo? It is hard to say since all you really do is tell me why you won't debate me.

At this point I retire and yield the field to the conquering heroes.

It is my dearest hope that you do get your absolutely open and free markets one day.
    It will be fun to hear what you have to say then.

Again, no real points made. I haven't called you or anyone else here any names, nor have I taken "the low road".

I'm also a professed and passionate Christian, though I don't see how that has much bearing on this particular discussion.

Also, my introduction of ammunition into the market has a net effect of lowering the price. My small contribution may not, but if more folks did exactly that the price would go down. Simple supply and demand.

The arguments you're making actually serve to contradict themselves. Claiming on one hand that price controls (keeping cost UP) is necessary to keep farmers in business, yet free market unrestrained ammunition sales somehow drives the price up?

By your own admission, if farming price controls weren't there, the cost would go down. More supply = lower prices.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I understand u all loading. sounds fun and enjoyable time but how is it worth it when u r probally spending about a little less to load then buying new? I just don't see the time spent as to buying new ammo? I'd understand if prices were normal right now? I'm not tryn to be mean but maybe it's over my head :p
    I enjoy operating my press and manufacturing my own ammunition... I do not enjoy standing in line, in the cold, to maybe get some ammunition at a price higher than I really want to pay.

That said, depending on your press you can do anywhere from 100 to 2,000 rounds in an hour. I'm using a single stage turret press so I tend to bang out about 200/hour which is fine with me. More than I can make standing in a line.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    EDIT: Actually, my selling of ammo *can* have a bearing on ammunition availability. It makes it MORE available, which drives the price down if enough people do it.
    Taking from pile a (public availability) and moving it to pile b (your private stash) and then selling it back to pile a (to the public) doesn't make more available any more than had you simply not bought it in the first place. Unless you're manufacturing ammunition or you bought a lot when there was surplus, you're taking from and putting back into the exact same supply.

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Could you explain this:
    "When it happens though, remember, I said it here and have been for years.
    YOU and yours aregued for it to be allowed to happen. I hope that feels as good then as it does now."

I am trying to figure out what I "aregued" for? and what I should feel good for? and when "it happens" Thanks

Not one bit of false info in my post. Sadly this is why we fail as a group.
    No Soccer, Engalwood was talking to me

one point makes the whole bad? well I have seen people pay it so I guess it was a fluke.

If that makes the POINT I made false, then so be it, we are a sad group of people who will always be easy to beat.
    When it happens though, remember, I said it here and have been for years.
    YOU and yours aregued for it to be allowed to happen. I hope that feels as good then as it does now.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Taking from pile a (public availability) and moving it to pile b (your private stash) and then selling it back to pile a (to the public) doesn't make more available any more than had you simply not bought it in the first place. Unless you're manufacturing ammunition or you bought a lot when there was surplus, you're taking from and putting back into the exact same supply.

You don't account for time at all.

I bought my ammo when it was widely available and there was a surplus. Many others bought ammo and shot it then. I kept it. There was no shortage so I had no net effect on the supply/demand or pricing.

That ammo is presumed long gone from the market.

There's a shortage now and I introduce ammo not previously available to the market. If more people had stock and did this, supply goes up, demand goes down and price goes down - at least temporarily.

And that's what this is. It's a temporary inequity in the market. Supply is down, demand is up - price goes up. My selling ammo from years ago has no bearing on that, except for the possible positive net effect of more ammo on the market to purchase.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Agreed, and thats what I did. I had a stash of 25 bricks of 22 ammo bought about 4 years ago at $12 a brick. I sold 10 bricks for $50 a brick. I probably could have gotten considerably more on gun broker (the 10 bricks I had up online went in under an hour and I got offers for more than 10 additional bricks). This is stuff that was from my personal stash that WILL be replaced when more widely available. I don't know at what price. I figure it may be $25 or more a brick replacement cost, so I had to make it worth my while and the risk of NOT being able to replace it any time soon. The ONLY reason I sold any was because I had enough to not cut into my stash too much and turn a bit of a profit. So, am I one of the people who is the problem? A lot of people say yes. I don't see it that way, I'm not buying up the ammo at walmart when there is no availability only to resell it. But, I got a lot of nasty-grams as if I were.

You don't account for time at all.

I bought my ammo when it was widely available and there was a surplus. Many others bought ammo and shot it then. I kept it. There was no shortage so I had no net effect on the supply/demand or pricing.

That ammo is presumed long gone from the market.

There's a shortage now and I introduce ammo not previously available to the market. If more people had stock and did this, supply goes up, demand goes down and price goes down - at least temporarily.

And that's what this is. It's a temporary inequity in the market. Supply is down, demand is up - price goes up. My selling ammo from years ago has no bearing on that, except for the possible positive net effect of more ammo on the market to purchase.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    To me it looks like you have 2 choices on this ammo shortage ,buy it or don't, it really is supply an demand.The scary part is will i be able to find an afford the ammo that i shoot at the range.

Taktical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I stood in line at Gander last week but only because I had just bought a gun the prior week but could not go shoot it because no ammo available. So standing in line for a bit to get some ammo at a somewhat normal price was worth it to me. What frustrates me are the people that don't even shoot or own guns but are buying ammo just to turn it around at a big mark up. Apologies if this has already been brought up and don't want to offend anyone. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You guys really have the patter down well.

Keepsa you from having to confront reality. Must be nice in your world.

Yet again, you choose defamation of character (on the internet, of someone you don't know) rather than reasoned discussion.

I'm not going to stoop to your level and start questioning your level of intelligence or ability to accurately discern reality. If you want to have discussions on stuff, i'm always up for it. If instead you want to take discussions personally, and question my intelligence and my faith for disagreeing with you, there isn't much discussion to be had.

Also, personal attacks are against INGO rules.

Top Bottom