• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Indy-Southside
    I was at the GM in FW over the holidays and saw that they buy used guns. Has anyone ever sold a gun to them? If you have, did they give you a fair price ? I am thinking that they would probably stick it to you. One of the posts above states that they go by the "book" when selling, is it the same when they are vbuying ?.........R
    I took 3 guns in to sell just to see what they would give me a few days ago. They didn't want my Ithaca 51 shotgun because they sell their used guns with a one year warranty and the parts would be hard to come by on the Ithaca. They didn't want my Thompson Center Scout because they don't buy muzzleloaders. They were going to give me 60% of book on my Remington 870 Super Mag SP camo turkey gun. Wasn't worth it. The 60% is the standard they pay.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Not to be a braggadocio, but I just got 500 rounds of UMC 9mm for $106 shipped to my door. I wouldn't normally buy from GM, but picked up on a web special they had for a few hours on bulk UMC. Right after I placed my order the price went up by $10 a box. I ended up getting the 250 round boxes for $59.99 each, and had a promo code for $20 off an order of at least $100 plus free shipping.

That said, I agree that their prices are generally high, and I don't buy there if I can help it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    No offense to the big stores, but I rather give my money to the small stores were the people there will remember you the next time you visit. I rather see my spent money support a family I may run into at the grocery store

I wholeheartedly agree. Also, if you don't support your local mom and pop gun shop, one day you might wake up to find out that Gander Mountain is the only place to shop.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    As mentioned earlier, they gouged the crap out of their ammo prices amid the shortage- $59.99 for a 50 round box of Winchester Super-X .357 mag. and since then my buisness with them has significantly declined.

With that said, if you keep a tight watch, they do get used stuff in quite frequently and since they are typically such dipsh_ts about appraising, you can find some super deals on used stuff. That is so long as another employee doesn't buy it....

I once was looking at a beautiful used nickle CZ-83 for a pretty good price and when the dipsh_t behind the counter handed it to me said something to the effect of "Oh jeez, I didn't see that. I wanted to get one of those, I'll have to grab that," he said. I then said, "I would like to put this on layaway." It is such great customer service when you get scowled at for buying something.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I purchased some 9mm hollow points recently. It was a complete ripoff, but it was the only time I had seen any in stock since I had bought my gun and didn't want to use fmj for self defense in an apt.

The used deals don't look too bad, but the customer service is iffy. I find that alot of times their used guns are the going rate for new elsewhere and the new are 100 to 200 more.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    No such thing as price-gouging. If an item belongs to me, I can ask any amount I want for it, you have a choice as to whether to pay it. If you choose to pay it, you were not gouged, you were part of a voluntary free exchange. Prices are set by the buyer, not the seller.

I don't usually buy from Gander Mountain because their prices are too high for me. On some occasions, I've bought because I needed something quickly that they had there that I couldn't find anywhere else, or couldn't get quickly enough to suit me. A convenience I paid for gladly.

Not a GM fan, just doin' my part to advance the understanding of the basic morality of the free market.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    No such thing as price-gouging. If an item belongs to me, I can ask any amount I want for it, you have a choice as to whether to pay it. If you choose to pay it, you were not gouged, you were part of a voluntary free exchange. Prices are set by the buyer, not the seller.

I don't usually buy from Gander Mountain because their prices are too high for me. On some occasions, I've bought because I needed something quickly that they had there that I couldn't find anywhere else, or couldn't get quickly enough to suit me. A convenience I paid for gladly.

Not a GM fan, just doin' my part to advance the understanding of the basic morality of the free market.

Price gouging is a term for a seller pricing much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a felony that applies in some of the United States only during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I like to go into GM to look quite often, because they have a good selection and it is close to my house. (the castleton store anyway). I have gotten a decent deal on used firearms before, I got a ruger lcp for 250, that had never even been loaded. The guy bought it and never found 380 ammo for it. When I really looked at it the factory fired test round had a date of less than a month before i picked it up. But like someone else said, the guy that sold it to me said he didnt know it was there for that price or he would have put it in the safe for himself with the 3 others he had put away. I have never bought ammo there, and probably wouldnt because of the prices. I have bought other things like inexpensive holsters, hearing protection, etc.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Never bought anything there, but like many have already said, I like to go there and look cause they have a pretty good selection. Awhile back I was wanting a Ruger super redhawk Alaskan, in .44 mag, and, after an exhaustive search of every gun shop within a hundred miles of here, I wound up buying it at Bass Pro, for about what I was expecting to pay anyway. I always check the mom and pop places first.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have bought one gun from them several years ago. A Ruger Mark II, it was on sale and a good deal. Once in a while when they run sales you can get a decent deal. Never have bought, probably never will buy ammo from them, prices are outrageous.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I've bought a few guns from them when they have sales or clearance. I have bought ammo from them in the wayyy past.

I seldom even go in anymore.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've gotten several good deals on firearms at Gander Mountain...

And when I'm able to buy another firearm, I'll certainly LOOK through their inventory to see if I can happen upon another deal.

Good deals I've bought there include:

1st Gen Walther P99 9mm
    1st Gen Walther P99 .40S&W
    4" blued Ruger GP100 .357
    H&R 926 .22LR top-break revolver
    Marlin model 60

I paid too much, though for a CZ 40-P and a used Springfield EMP (early production, 3 digit S/N)

These were split between the Castleton and the Greenwood stores.

Each of these I purchased for VERY FAIR, and for less money than they're now charging.

I also spied, last year, an HK P7M8 for $700...it was mis-marked as a P7-PSP. I should've bought it only to flip it...but I hadn't been married too long and figured that my wife would've killed me, even though I could've sold it for at least $400 more.

-J-

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yes, they are overpriced, especially on ammunition. But, I knew that before I went in there the first time from word of mouth. That being said, I still find myself in there every time I am in the area, which is quite frequently. And you know how the saying goes. "In the right place at the right time." I have purchased a couple of fine handguns in there. Mabey I did pay a little too much for them but overall I am pleased with their purchase and I would do it all over again...............and I hope I will.

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I stopped at a couple in Ohio over Thanksgiving and they seemed to have better prices than Indy.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I bought my Ruger P95DC there almost 3 years ago I paid $280 NIB.

I buy my favorite .22 ammo there, but I buy my 9mm ammo at Meijer or Wal-Mart

Choche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Wow, I'm not even sure how you guys were even able to buy a gun from there, it seems like it wouldn't even be possible. I went in there last week looking for a Sig 229 (still looking). After waiting around for some help, a salesperson walked by and started throwing some stuff that was in a drawer into a trashcan. I ask if they had said firearm. He simple says no, and then walks away to make a call. Really? I felt like I should have apologized for interrupting his cleaning duties. This happened at the Castleton store, and obviously it will not happen again as I will be looking elsewhere from now on.

Top Bottom