Gander Mountain Sucks...but maybe not today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Don't forget the used $699 Glocks. :rolleyes:

last time i was in there all the used glocks were sold... I feel bad for the poor sob who bought the one i saw a week prior... The entire slide was scratched to hell, fading, even the polymer looked dull. And to top it off, every exposed peice of metal that i could see had some sort of surface rust....

dont worry though guys, they were letting it go for a steal... $599!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My father in law walked in and bout 2100 rounds of 9mm for a class he is taking. Tell me where else they even have that much on the shelf, let alone let you buy it. About $0.35/round for CCI blazer--so it ain't cheap, but it's there.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    My father in law walked in and bout 2100 rounds of 9mm for a class he is taking. Tell me where else they even have that much on the shelf, let alone let you buy it. About $0.35/round for CCI blazer--so it ain't cheap, but it's there.

that must be why they havent had any 9mm in the past 2 months ive been there lol.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I like Gander and appreciate any retailer that sells guns in today's environment. I bought a used Beretta a few years ago at a very good price. The next year I bought a rifle at a fair price.

They are what they are....Big Box retailer that lacks small shop expertise and service. I just don't understand the bashing of Gander.

The bashing comes from the fact that by-and-large, they are WAY overpriced. No one expects small LGS service (though that can be suspect too, depending on where you go), but a big box store should have more buying leverage and better prices.

Sure, there are anecdotal stories of people getting decent deals, but for the most part, their prices are WAY high.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I bought 6 pounds of a hard to find substitute black powder through their website that was on sale. Along with their free shipping promotion, there was only a hazmat charge which made it a worthwhile deal that I couldn't duplicate anywhere else.
    Just like with different grocery stores, every sporting goods vendor has its strong and weak points.

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was there looking at a M&P pro 40 5" yesterday. Took me 10+ minutes to get a guy to get it from behind the counter. There were only 2 people working the counter and hardly any customers. They had it marked for $699 which means it would've been $740 out the door. I found a new one with 3 extra mags (5 total) for $520 shipped on GB. Add in the $20 FFL fee and I'll pay $540 for it. Saved $200 and got three extra mags with the gun.

Gander is good for a Gander...but that's about it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A few years ago I bought a like new G17 from the Greenwood GM.

It was absolutely pristine. If it had been fired (other than factory), I couldn't tell it.

It may as well have been brand new.

I got it for less than the LEO/MIL discount that Glock gives on new guns.

-J-

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    I find my local Gander to be a pretty good place to window shop - excellent selection. It just isn't a good place to buy, except on very rare occasions.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I find my local Gander to be a pretty good place to window shop - excellent selection. It just isn't a good place to buy, except on very rare occasions.

Once in awhile you will luck into a deal. I do pretty well. I buy some clothing at times when they have it like 70% off. Makes it reasonable at that point. Some ammo is priced well. I have purchased two firearms from them that were priced better than anywhere else I could find. But then I ask about another firearm and they are $100 higher. I am not sure how their pricing department works but it seems to be inconsistent.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The GM Ammo line, April 2013, lest we forget.
    attachment.php

sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    All I can say about Gander is I have gotten some good deals and one really great deal. Yes they are high but once in a while just stopping in you see it and say sign me up. Sounds like rockhopper has seen the same deals.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I was there yesterday to just shop. I asked about .22 and of course, there was none. No problem.

I asked if the flipper line was still forming on Thursday morning and the guy said "yeah, but we didn't get any .22 this Thurs." I said I would have paid just to be here and see all the frowney faces.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A few weeks back I was looking for a couple of pairs of flannel lined jeans. NOBODY had them on the shelf. Everywhere I went it was internet orders only. Then I went to Gander Mtn. They had them on the shelf. So they got my money.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Was in there yesterday. Bought a box of 100 .45 ACP for 50 bucks. Thought I got a good deal on .45

Was in Walmart in Columbus today. Boxes of 100 .45 ACP for 44 bucks. Oh well, win some you lose some. Almost bought a couple boxes at WM today but decided I'd spent enough on ammo for the weekend.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Hey all long time no post, Virginia here is not too bad but we have a Dumocrat for gubner now....as to the point of the thread Gander Mt here closed down and a LGS bought the building, and WOW what a place! I bought a sporterized Ishapore 2a1 for $219....sooo happy Gander closed!

Top Bottom