• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I decided to try to fight the GM crowds this morning to get some ammo, as I'm starting to run a little low on .22 LR here at home. I was 24th in line, so I was starting to figure that I wasn't going to get anything. Well, they only got 6 boxes of .223/5.56 (didn't specify how many of which), and those were gone in about 45 seconds. By the time they got around to about the 10th person in line, they were out of .22 LR. They still had .22 short, but if I'm going to buy those, I'll just buy them at walmart. Luckily, when my number came up, they still had plenty of 9mm left. The only brand they had out on the cart was FIOCCHI. You know, that really expensive brand? I figure they must be made of gold or something. Anyway, when I picked up my two box ration, I asked how much they were. They guy said he thought they were 14 or 15 bucks a box. Well, to double check, I asked another associate to scan it to double check the price. He scanned it and the price came up $17.99/box. I thought about putting it back because I don't like spending that much on practice ammo, but I decided that since I had waited and had driven all the way to Castleton, I didn't want to leave empty-handed, so I went ahead and proceeded to the checkout. When the girl scanned it, the stuff came up $13.99/box. Needless to say, I was pretty happy. Then on my way home, it hit me. I know it's all marketing and whatnot, but Gander Mountain is still putting ammo and firearms on sale. In this economy, they don't need to do that. People are willing to pay ridiculous prices. But they still put their stuff on sale. I know most of you folks absolutely can't stand GM, and I agree that their stuff is a little high most of the time. But I say props to them for still putting things sale, even though they don't have to in this economy.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Omigosh. A non bashing Gander Mtn thread. What is the world coming to? Is the sky falling, or what? Glad you had a good experience. Any shop can have a bad day. That's part of life. But seriously, it was good to finally hear something good for once.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Glad you are happy with your purchase!

For those of us "not in the loop"...Does GM unload the truck Wednesday nights, so ammo is available for purchase when the doors open Thursday mornings? Is that the procedure? If you were 24th in line, what time did the others show up? Gettin' ammo is gettin' to be like a permanent Black Friday! :noway:

ol' poke.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fiocchi is good stuff.

Look for it to be a tad "warmer" than WWB / Federal stuff.

Their Stateside CS is top notch, too. Or it was when thought I had an ammo problem with some of their 9mm (wasn't - was the gun's fault)

-J-

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say I'm a fan of GM, but I usually have a good experience there. I've purchased 2 of the 3 guns I own from there. Both times I've wanted to buy a gun, they had exactly what I wanted. Sometimes I can find ammo there, sometimes I can't. Depends on my timing, I guess...

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Glad you are happy with your purchase!

For those of us "not in the loop"...Does GM unload the truck Wednesday nights, so ammo is available for purchase when the doors open Thursday mornings? Is that the procedure? If you were 24th in line, what time did the others show up? Gettin' ammo is gettin' to be like a permanent Black Friday! :noway:

ol' poke.

The truck arrives every Thursday morning. Currently, they unload the truck onto a cart and hand out numbers before they let anybody in. Once inside, they call out the numbers so it isn't complete chaos. I got there around 8:45 and they open at 9. I have no idea when everybody else got there.
    Fiocchi is good stuff.

Look for it to be a tad "warmer" than WWB / Federal stuff.

Their Stateside CS is top notch, too. Or it was when thought I had an ammo problem with some of their 9mm (wasn't - was the gun's fault)

-J-

Good to know!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Yep, they unload trucks on Thursday mornings. In the past couple of weeks I have heard stories of people standing outside the store starting at 0600 Thursday morning to get ammo and AR's

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive never had an issue with Gander. I usually buy my .22 bricks there, cuz i like the thunderbolts and they always have them. Well, always did..

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Laughing a little, been short on ammo before - few years ago. Not cutting anyone down, just feeling pretty lucky I have been fortunate enough since I raised my family to be able to afford pretty much what I want to buy as far as guns and ammo. Do get a few frowns from the better half but probably would anyhow. The situation now is that I really have all the guns I currently want and all the ammo I need (of all calibers) to last a few years - with the reloading. I do feel for those that don't. It will end, I'll bet in about 3-4 months this will be a bad memory. The last gun show in Lafayette had more AR's, reloading supplies and ammo than most shows since December. Prices were still high, but AR's coming down. Ammo still pretty high but some starting down. I look for supplies to be on the shelf in 2 - 3 months, in 4 or 5 the prices will be back close to pre-panic in my opinion. May take that long for the AR uppers and parts to be back in stock and priced decently.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep, they unload trucks on Thursday mornings. In the past couple of weeks I have heard stories of people standing outside the store starting at 0600 Thursday morning to get ammo and AR's

You have to take a number to get ammo? No thanks, it's not that hard to get and certainly not worth making a special trip for.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I tried the same thing waiting in line. While waiting I noticed several people I knew, all of owners of gun shops. What they are doing is buying from the local retailers and selling them in their stores for twice what they paid for them. I also found locals selling the ammo on the Internet. If the retail stores would limit the purchase amount more people could buy at a reasonable price. But, I guess you can't fault good old fashion capitalism.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    you cant limit it much more I seen a whole bulk case of 22lr could only buy one and i was a hour from home. My ruger eats one box like candy lol a 3 to 4 box limit is what most stores have I believe it to be fair

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    at GM you can just grab ammo off the shelf and take it to the registers up front.
    taking a number is for the firearms counter, guns, bows, scopes, stuff like that, the stuff behind the counter.
    if it is out on one of the shelves, just grab it and take it to the front counter, pay and hit the exit.
    i have usually have a pretty good experience there(castelton).
    my $.02 worth.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Last couple of times I was at the EVV GM, and granted this was right at the beginning of their big sale, they had some ammo - 22LR and 9mm, maybe more - behind the counter.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    My girlfriend picked me up a GSG-522 from GM for Christmas. She got it cheaper than any other local shop in town (I check regularly) and she said the sales person treated her with respect. I can't say the same for some local shops.
    GM has high prices on some stuff but guess what, I don't have to buy it. Sometimes they have great deals and sales.
    My overall opinion is that GM is a good place to shop and its my decision to buy a slightly over priced item.

Top Bottom