• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    Listened to one guy talk about police work, the process of getting hired, how "he knows a guy" etc...I walked up and asked him if he was interested in becomin an officer...he said to me, "mind your business and take a number"

After 8 years LE work...I wanted to see if he had any questions...guess not. Everytime I go in...I wander why I did

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I know we are emotional creatures by nature, but we should leave our personal problems at the door.

I don't go to Gander [or any other retail store] to have a bad experience because your girlfriend broke up with you, your car had a flat on the way to work, or you didn't get that raise you were after.

In a perfect world this would be true, but believe me this is not a perfect world.

No one is nicy nice 100% of the time, to think so is just ridiculous.

The problem/attidude may not even been personnal at all.

Think of all the threads about folks telling someone off for what they say in a gun store, or all the arguments over a clip/magazine.:popcorn:

huckeby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Gander Mountain in Casleton had Zero ammo. However, they were very helpful with the limited magazines they had in stock.

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Originally Posted by barnstormer37
    Went to Gander Mtn Castleton Fri afternoon March 1st. Had just picked up my new Taurus 992 at Wanamaker's that morning. Bought 300rds. CCI .22 LR mini mags along with the revolver, but no .22 WMR's. I knew G Mtn got their shipment in on Fri morning, so I took a chance that they might still have some .22 Mags. Nice young man in a wheelchair asked if he could help me, I told him what I was looking for. He said "follow me". Took me to a pallet of ammunition setting aside, picked up one box 250 bulk pack CCI .22 WMR Maxi Mag and handed it to me. He told me that someone had picked them up and then set them down in an odd place, so he (the employee) had got them to the pallet, but not yet back onto the shelf.

They were not cheap, but supply and demand dictates the market. The young man that helped me could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

All this to say that I had a pleasant experience at Gander Mtn. and I will (have) go back to that store.

Its clearly obvious you have never worked retail or if you have not for any length of time.

You have NEVER had a bad day at work and are always super pleasant to your co-workers? Never ever get upset in traffic? Careful how you answer that.:dunno:

What the h377 does the comment in red have to do with my post??? All I did was relate an experience I had at that store. I do not understand your rant about my experience (or lack thererof) in retail work. Has nuthin' to do with what I said.:ugh:

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I had to go work in Terre Haute today. Thought I would stop in Gander Mountain and see what their inventory looked like. I was looking at some scopes and young man came over and asked if he could help. He was very friendly and based on a couple questions I had for him he went and got 4 other scopes from another display to show me. I saw they has some WPA 7.62 x 39 in stock and asked him what the price was since it wasn't marked. He went and got a box from the shelf and scanned it. $6.99 per box limit of 10 boxes. Bottom line for a box store it was an enjoyable experience.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I was going to buy a sling at 39. At register they said it was 59. The guy who did the price check said it was 69. No compromise even though it said 39 right underneath it.

We've had that multiple times at the Castleton GM. Ammo, safety glasses and a pistol case. The glasses and pistol case they did adjust the price of. The ammo I really didn't expect to be as cheap as the tag. I noticed the next week that it seemed like they'd taken down almost all the ammo price tags.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Problem is they think they are actually a real "gun store" complete with ****ty attitudes. I will NEVER shop there again. About two weeks ago, I was in the Castleton shop, they had .308 ammo for $50.00, usually $19.00, taking advantage of a ****ty situation and us.

Dicks n the other hand still sells at the correct price...if they have it in stock and they are usually nice.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    In a perfect world this would be true, but believe me this is not a perfect world.
    Oh, I know... But it doesn't matter - if I walk into a store and ask you a question and you treat me like crap because you're having a bad day your boss and/or manager will hear about it. If they treat me like crap too, their boss will hear about it. If their boss has the same attitude you just lost me as a customer and everybody I ever speak to about your company will also hear about my bad experiences and how nobody, including managers, cared.

No one is nicy nice 100% of the time, to think so is just ridiculous.
    Nobody said you had to be 100% smiles and bubbly, but you need to not be a jack*ss.

The problem/attidude may not even been personnal at all.
    I don't care what the cause is - I'm not paying for your attitude.

Think of all the threads about folks telling someone off for what they say in a gun store, or all the arguments over a clip/magazine.:popcorn:
    That is your justification?

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Had a bad experience with them this afternoon as well but someone who posted on my thread thought I was being a jerk because I told our friend she didnt have to pro ide her phone number at the top of the 4473 form where they told her to write it. The "manager" actually argued with me for roughly 10 minutes over it when I tried to pull the thread up about it my phone wouldnt allow me to search for it.
    She was buying her rifle and I had a cart full of stuff well over 500.00 she bought her rifle and I walked out without any of the stuff we were buying. Some of the stuff we were getting was priced decently but even if I have to pay more for it I will buy it from a different retailer or order it online. It is stuff like this that pushes people to buy online. They will no longer see any of my business and last year before the craze began we bought 8 firearms, a buttload of ammo, a new bow and acessories for my wife and a ton of fishing equipment.
    Also the friend of ours is not "HOT" by any means so they were not flirting with her and trying to get her number.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Mike, believe whatever you wish, makes no difference to me, I'm now comfortably retired and did so at the ripe old age of 58, wife and I ran our business as I stated earlier. Not all days was I bubbly nice by any means, in fact there were days I ordered customers out of the door if in fact they were the A holes IMO, actually maybe I was the A hole, whether or not it made no difference to me. If the did not wish to place their shadow at my door step, that was more than fine with me. I have no time for jerks, customers or otherwise. Being as I retired at 58 I was only in the retail business for a short 45 years, yup I started at 13, and was sucessful at it, at any rate I live very comfortably, I did have a short break from the business world while serving in the Army stationed at the Pentagon during the 60's. Mayhap it was the peacenicks that gave me the attidude I have? I still have a problem getting spit at.

I might add, Life is good!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive worked retail, and I can tell you, its a job just to remind yourself of perspective. That just because 13 customers have treated you like **** today, doesnt mean the 14th is going to as well.

You try working in a service industry these days. There is NO respect, there is only this attitude of "fetch me that which I request, servant" OVER AND OVER AND OVER. You feel joyous when you get a "normal" person.

And your thanks for all this BS? 9 bucks an hour.

Some people just cant do it... and maybe they shouldn't. But all Im saying is, trade them for a month, I bet you will find it hard to not behave similarly..

Ahuey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Indy
    I understand that they probably get asked the same damn questions day after day after day. I would get annoyed. Its comical to listen to some of the stuff people say in there.

On the other hand that's their job. If you don't like it find something else to do.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I understand that they probably get asked the same damn questions day after day after day. I would get annoyed. Its comical to listen to some of the stuff people say in there.

On the other hand that's their job. If you don't like it find something else to do.

Tried to much of anything else in todays job market, outside of the DC Beltway?:D

steve479

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    fort wayne
    I am at Gander a lot and have found them very helpful. If the store is packed they may get to the point and then move on but most of the time they will give you their full attention.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Ive worked retail, and I can tell you, its a job just to remind yourself of perspective. That just because 13 customers have treated you like **** today, doesnt mean the 14th is going to as well.

You try working in a service industry these days. There is NO respect, there is only this attitude of "fetch me that which I request, servant" OVER AND OVER AND OVER. You feel joyous when you get a "normal" person.

And your thanks for all this BS? 9 bucks an hour.

Some people just cant do it... and maybe they shouldn't. But all Im saying is, trade them for a month, I bet you will find it hard to not behave similarly..

I worked in the "service industry" for roughly 18 years and 10 of that was in my own small slaughterhouse and retail meatshop. The other 8 was as a butcher for grocery stores where I interacted with VERY picky people on a minute by minute basis. From the time I clocked in until the time I clocked out 6 days a week, until I went down to 5 days a week so I could travel to Michigan from Lafayette and work 2 days in my own shop, I was all smiles. I waited on people in Castleton, Fishers/ Geist area, Broad Ripple, 96& Co. Line and Lafayette. While in Lafayette I waited on Gene Keady's wife once a week and she requested me as her favorite butcher not.letting anyone else wait on her. She was a real "peacb" too let me tell ya. I never brought my personal life to work with me and I did my job the way it was to be done.
    When I moved to Michigan I had a clientel that was upper middle and upper class due to the way I raised and processed my animals. At the same time I was also an Ottawa Co. Deputy and went through a divorce. Even with all of that and the farm work when I entered my retail shop and dealt with the people I was all smiles.
    If these people dont want to be stuck in a "service industy" they should rethink their choices in life. Personally I loved it! I also loved joining the Army after my divorce, selling my farm and business then serving in Iraq and Afghanistan until my time was up. I was raised to think through my choices in life before throwing everything away and working a dead end job I hated. But I had awesome parents and grandparents that taught me things when I was growing up.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im glad you had a good experience in a service industry. I can tell you, when you go the extra mile for people on a daily basis, and they lie about you and throw you under the bus in order to get money taken off, and services for free, as "restitution" on a daily basis, you start to wonder if this person your treating nice, is going to end up bending you over a barrel as soon as they see the advantages.

Top Bottom