• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think it would be great to test the myth that tumbling live rounds may change the characteristics of the powder.

Preperations: I think it would be good to start with a known, lower pressure plinking load. Tumble a batch of rounds for say 4 hours, then 12 hours, then a day, then 2 days, then 4 days, then a week, maybe longer.

Testing: Take those batches out to the range, shoot a test group of unfired rounds. Then progressively work your way up the groups (least tumbling to most tumbling) watching for pressure signs. Keep every possible condition the same between groups.

Data gathered: Avg velocity and velocity spread etc., group sizes, and maybe POI changes?

Maybe we can finally put that topic to rest, with data to back it up.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'd like to see an offshoot series titled "Redneck-o-Truth", where you use your unique situation to make some tongue-in-cheek reports.

How about "The best way to shoot from your living room"?

"Tracers at Midnight"

"Shooting from a Moving Kubota Tractor"

"Try to Explode the Remote Control Boat Full of Tannerite"

That kinda thing. . .

This coming from a man who did a range report on a Nerf gun!!??? :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

My reaction was to note that this is the time of year for tracers! I would have used one on my HD test but I forgot my tracers mag at home. It is probably a good thing though, they would have made quite the stinky mess and it is a public range.

Now, if I had a private range and someone with... oh wait...

Tracers.

And I still want to thank evan for the nerf gun thing. My kids took all their stored holiday and chore money and now we have a 6'x3'x2' locker filled with nerf guns. Nerf must be owned by Larue because there is no end to doodads to pimp with and all of the guns are interchangeable with parts.

This weekend he took one gun apart (with a screwdriver) stole the barrel to put on another one and now has a KelTec RFB knock off that runs. I keep expecting for him to strap a butter knife to the front, but wait, why? There is probably something he could buy instead!

He's like all the other AR owners now, spending more time looking at ads and youtube vids than actually shooting the thing!!! :n00b:

Thanks Evan! ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

owned_water-1.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    remote control boat with tannerite... i will supply the tannerite if i get to drive the boat!!!

Oh he's already got all the ingredients. . . . :D

Have Terry back over for some more .50BMG fun. And invite me this time. :D

I'm also all for this. In fact, someone was smart enough to stash a lil' bit of .50BMG from a previous 1500 in the back of the safe. . . . . Now we just gotta figure out a way to keep Kr_Treefrog2 from shooting all of it. :dunno:

This is EXACTLY why I should be T-man!!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Going down the lines of the WWII rifle accuracy, it would be a nice test to simultaneosly do with various WWII ammo and terminal ballistics.

E.g. 7.62x54r Heavy Ball and Light Ball, .303 Brit, M2 Ball (what would be cool is if we could shoot from a Garand, 1903, and 1917), 8mm Mauser and on down the list.

I think all proved themselves effective in actual combat use, but it is always tons of fun to shoot and compare these old war horses.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Going down the lines of the WWII rifle accuracy, it would be a nice test to simultaneosly do with various WWII ammo and terminal ballistics.

E.g. 7.62x54r Heavy Ball and Light Ball, .303 Brit, M2 Ball (what would be cool is if we could shoot from a Garand, 1903, and 1917), 8mm Mauser and on down the list.

I think all proved themselves effective in actual combat use, but it is always tons of fun to shoot and compare these old war horses.

Sure! Or even a three types of 7.62x54r and three mosins 91/30, 38, 44). You get all of 9 results there to compare! Then your shoulder would end the testing.

Oh, and you could see how many XYZ the rounds could go through too!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Not being a military rifle guy (yet!), I'd need to enlist the aid of some military rifle enthusiasts to bring their wares to the range....Know anybody? :D

Top Bottom