• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    In the last few months, I've conducted four range tests resulting in range reports on INGO (links below). I enjoy the planning, shooting, and data analysis. I also like to take pictures.

So I'm looking for ideas of possible future range tests I could do that would benefit other INGO members. What questions do you have about accuracy, precision, impact, penetration, etc? No guarantees that I'll use your idea, but I'd like to hear from you so I can create a list of upcoming range reports.

I have a range nearby that I can use. It has 25 yard, 50 yard, and 200 yard distances. The range has a shooting bench. I can shoot/blow up whatever I want so there are few restrictions along that line.

If someone had a specific question about a specific firearm, I might need to use that firearm for a short time. :D I have a fair assortment of ammo in common calibers, but may need some donations depending on the nature of the test. Some tests may require the gun owner to help!:)

So guys and gals...what are your ideas?

.22 Ciener Conversion vs. Dedicated Upper / .22 Ammo Performance
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_22_conversions_and_dedicated_22_rifles.html

Shotgun Patterning
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...he_pattern_of_various_brands_of_buckshot.html

Spikes Dedicated Upper
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rt_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial-up_warning.html

Zero Drift of a Millett DMS-1 Scope
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nt_test_of_the_millett_dms-1_rifle_sight.html

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'd like to see some testing of common myths, like a Box-o-truth type thing, only local to INGO. Specifically, I'd like to see things like penetration through layers of drywall with common calibers like 9mm, .45, 5.56, buckshot etc... One of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had was doing this kind of testing versus car doors.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'd like to see some testing of common myths, like a Box-o-truth type thing, only local to INGO. Specifically, I'd like to see things like penetration through layers of drywall with common calibers like 9mm, .45, 5.56, buckshot etc... One of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had was doing this kind of testing versus car doors.

I love the Box-O-Truth site! :yesway:

I like your ideas. The Box-O-Truth site has some great range tests. Do you believe that I could improve on or verify some of the tests in a way that would be beneficial to INGO? No need to duplicate his work, but I have no problem building on it.

Know where I could get a typical car door and truck door...cheap? :D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    When I got my doors, I went to the salvage and told them what I was doing. They told me to pick a couple and they charged me $25 each.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Must be nice to be retired!!!!

maybe a review of different types of aftermarket grips for snubbies... i have a 642 you can use, and hogue grips and factory grips... and i garentee you should be able to find the longer wood grips and a crimson trace set from others on INGO

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

i would like to see the penetration of diffrent rounds on a standard wall to. good idea. if lovemywoods doesn't do that one it might make a good summer report for me

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    count me in as a sometime helper, I have a Remy VTRin 223 and a simmons scope to go on it, both new never so much as touched,

and basically anything in my safe is yours to test,

I have a Savage ML that they just came out with all sorts of new loading data, Its yours,

I have access to other peoples guns, I can get you a tubegun from tubegun.net,

let me think of other things

I've got a Hatsen arms 12 ga pump you can use in buckshot testing so you can review both gun and ammo

I have a 77/44 that you can write up

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I will be posting penetration tests shortly with pics that I did today, but not of a home based medium. Definitely should do that. I have planned to do melons again with HP rounds and look for expansion and penetration (waterjugs would be more scientific, but melons make for better pictures).

I have been thinking about the same kind of range reports and have been considering the following:

Comparing adustments on A2 20" AR and a M4gery with Backup sites (actual click shifts, accuracy due to sight radius, etc.)

Comparing a variety of .22 ammo on one rifle only to compare accuracy. Switch to melons and compare same ammo's hitting power.

Comparing AK, AR, and Shotty as a SHTF trunk rifle. Have three tasks to compare: Speed of load and engage close targets, Ease of carry and load & engage at multiple targets medium range from a slung for carry position, finally engage at long range 100 yards slow fire multiple targets. All only using one rifle.

Comparing delicate accuracy on the M4gery with three different optics: aimpoint, burris, and eotech. This would be using same ammo and working for smallest possible groups.

Comparing silent weapons: Crossbow, Bow, and 2x silenced firearms (.22 and 9mm). Compare power, accuracy and range of engagement against melons (yeah, I like killing melons). Stipulation is weapons used cannot be heard from 150 yards away (say the exact distance from LMW's range to his back porch).

Compare concealable weapons: Small, powerful, deployable.

Compare piston AR's to standard AR's for accuracy and function.

Well, that's the ones I have for now.

LMW, we think alike in this. If you are gonna go to the range, you gotta have a camera and a scientific plan to implement. The difference is you have a range and know how to use graph paper. Truly a superior disposition to have! ;)

There is so much to shoot, so much to learn, and so many melons to "test" on.

:ingo:

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Thanks for the fire pic in your avatar. I helps warm the cold night we're having! :rockwoot:

Also thanks for sharing your ideas. I appreciate your creativity....but what have you got against watermelons???!!:D

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I need to find my recipe for ballistic gel and bring some out(shameless try to get out to your place) as that would be the best for expansion and penetration tests.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'd like to see an offshoot series titled "Redneck-o-Truth", where you use your unique situation to make some tongue-in-cheek reports.

How about "The best way to shoot from your living room"?

"Tracers at Midnight"

"Shooting from a Moving Kubota Tractor"

"Try to Explode the Remote Control Boat Full of Tannerite"

That kinda thing. . .

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'd like to see an offshoot series titled "Redneck-o-Truth", where you use your unique situation to make some tongue-in-cheek reports.

How about "The best way to shoot from your living room"?

"Tracers at Midnight"

"Shooting from a Moving Kubota Tractor"

"Try to Explode the Remote Control Boat Full of Tannerite"

That kinda thing. . .

I've covered tracers at a beer bottle full of gas in my younger days hanging out in greene co. enough said.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I need to find my recipe for ballistic gel and bring some out(shameless try to get out to your place) as that would be the best for expansion and penetration tests.

How about correlation between ballistics gel and milk jugs of water? Ballistics gel is the standard, and water jugs are what most of us use for more informal testing.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Stopping Power of the INGO Shirt vs INGO Fleece.

1. Multiple Calibers
    2. Multiple Distances
    3. Multiple ammo brands
    4. 1 clothing item per test
    5. Then try each possible combination

(This should fund INGO's next server) :D

Top Bottom