• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm thinking about my next fun gun AK purchase. I can't decide between an underfolder AKMS or an AK-74 of some sorts.

I know the stock on an AKMS is known for poor cheek-weld, but I'm going rule of cool on that one. I've already got a fixed stock AKM so I don't feel like buying another just yet.

Second choice is an AK-74. I'm split between a Waffen Werks Bulgarian or a Polish Tantal. I know the Tantal has a far more attractive price, but there's always the question of quality. Whichever I get I'm planning on fitting an Arsenal traingle side folder to it.

So, opinions? If you've got a different suggestion go ahead and voice it, but max budget is $700. If I had as much to spend as I wanted I'd get an AK74s-u, but that's not going to happen.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    im a huge Ak fan and I like the looks of that... myself i picked up a Serbian M92 Krink pistol. Really fun gun and the practical accuracy is very good. Cant wait to add some upgrades. But if you dont already have other AK's then more traditional style is a great fun place to start.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'd vote on the waffen werks ak74. I've got an underfolder and bought it for the same reason, the cool factor lol. But, i've since decided its not all its cracked up to be. Long shooting sessions are kind of a killer on the shoulder and cheek. I'm sure you could get all redneck on it and duct tape rags to the stock to make it a little more comfortable haha. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's going to bruise the hell out of you, but it's still kind of annoying.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My Polish AKMS Underfolder is dead nuts accurate and a fantastic gun. The trigger is like no other. I added the Midwest Industries rail and a Vortex SPARC, along with some US Palm stuff and a knurled knob that is mounted on the charging handle and I will tell you that I sold my AR last year after having both at the range. I just kept going back to the AK.

As far as cheek weld goes, here are a few solutions, IF you have an issue. I don't have any issues with mine. However, a couple of companies make a cheek rest for the underfolder. Costly, yes. Some folks have wrapped paracord where their cheeks go. I might do that OR wrap some old padded cork cycling/handlebar tape on mine in case my friends or wife want to shoot it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    The 74 is a really nice rifle, and pre nuttiness, ammo was very reasonable for it. I vote the AK-74

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Guess I'll go with the AK74 then! Still deciding on what model. I like the looks of the Waffen Werks the most, but the Tantal is considerably cheaper. I noticed Century has their AK74s back in stock, but I can't find a retailer selling them. My LGS orders from Century so I might get a price off of them.

Top Bottom