• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Que's experience of a round going off reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer out there. A buddy of mine and I had just arrived at the range while it was "cold". There were 2 rifle shooters putting up targets at the north end and we were just setting down our gun bags at the south end. Suddenly, BANG!!, a round goes off in close proximity to us. We looked at each other and at the other shooters...they were yelling the range was cold and we raised our bags in the air and said our guns/ammo had not been taken out yet. Later went down to tell them we had no idea who fired off a round. It was on one of those 90+ degree days and we wondered if a round could actually go off by sitting in the sun or if one of us stepped on a .22 (but thought that was highly doubtful). Anyway, never did figure out where it came from, but sure scared the ^#&)$ out of us.

That sound you heard could have been one of the nuts falling from the trees over the firing line and hitting the metal roof. The report and echo sounds much like a .22, and I've mistaken it for that before, yesterday afternoon, as a matter of fact.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    That sound you heard could have been one of the nuts falling from the trees over the firing line and hitting the metal roof. The report and echo sounds much like a .22, and I've mistaken it for that before, yesterday afternoon, as a matter of fact.

If it hadn't happen to me I would believe it. Sounds just like a .22. Darn Tree Rats.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    VUPDblue, regarding the new bays, will there be a rule change which allows us to draw from holster?

The rules for the new bays are the same as the rules for the existing range, except for the part about no aerial targets. There are no proposed rule changes on the table at this time.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The rules for the new bays are the same as the rules for the existing range, except for the part about no aerial targets. There are no proposed rule changes on the table at this time.

How do we propose a rule change for drawing from the holster in th new bays?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No, nobody has brought up any rule changes for quite some time. The aerial target prohibition in the new bays is not up for debate. It can't be allowed due to safety reasons.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    so what exactly is the rule about "aerial" targets and how would this apply to something like shooting steel at the new bay?

When I was there I heard several people shooting steel targets at the new bay during the Bowling pin and pinheads matches.

Also, does this mean that one could not bring in a couple of stands with steel plates to shoot at on those bays?

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The first day I showed up at MCF&G with my snazzy new Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs (highly recommended, BTW) I had them turned up pretty loud when I was down on the south end in a 7yd handgun lane when a squirrel (or something...) ran basically from the north end of the roof all the way down to my end. It was so loud and startling to me (I didn't know what was happening at first) that I almost crapped my pants. Of course, now I hear things falling on the roof all the time that I didn't notice while wearing foam plugs. Electronic muffs definitely take a bit of getting used to.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom