• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was out at MCF&G today testing out my Ruger 10/22. This was the first time I have ever shot on the other side of the range. I must say I really like that little rifle. I had it dialed in to hit 30/30 on the steel plate at the second to last line (75 yards?). I'll try the last line next week.

Anyway, during one of the times the line was cold, I was trudging out to the back of the range to check my steel, when all of a sudden, BANG! I'm not sure how the brain works, but I immediately recognized that the round did not come from our range, but in the parking lot area. When I turned and looked the guy at the pistol range had a 'wasn't me' look on his face. I guess I missed the memo about the new pistol ranges being open. :laugh:

Now, shortly thereafter, some guy comes on the line and as soon as he sits his stuff down, he yells, "Cease fire! Cease fire! Cease fire!" Immediately everyone stops shooting and looks to see if anyone had walked on the range or something. The guy didn't have a clue, but proceeds to the field to put up his target. As soon as he finished and gets back, he yells, "The line is hot!" and starts picking up his rifle. Everyone, including me had a stupid look of surprise, astonishment, and curiosity, mixed with a little pissed-off, on our faces, but none of us corrected him. I'm not sure if he did it again, since I was leaving. I wonder who gave him his safety briefing? :dunno: :laugh:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Anthony -

1- Congrats on the 10/22. You made a wise purchase. They're awesome.
    2- Just to let you know, the new ranges are open. :D
    3- I hate people like that. But he needs to be educated, otherwise he'll do it again.

But really, great choice with the 10/22. Hoping to see you again at FNS!

I was out at MCF&G today testing out my Ruger 10/22. This was the first time I have ever shot on the other side of the range. I must say I really like that little rifle. I had it dialed in to hit 30/30 on the steel plate at the second to last line (75 yards?). I'll try the last line next week.

Anyway, during one of the times the line was cold, I was trudging out to the back of the range to check my steel, when all of a sudden, BANG! I'm not sure how the brain works, but I immediately recognized that the round did not come from our range, but in the parking lot area. When I turned and looked the guy at the pistol range had a 'wasn't me' look on his face. I guess I missed the memo about the new pistol ranges being open. :laugh:

Now, shortly thereafter, some guy comes on the line and as soon as he sits his stuff down, he yells, "Cease fire! Cease fire! Cease fire!" Immediately everyone stops shooting and looks to see if anyone had walked on the range or something. The guy didn't have a clue, but proceeds to the field to put up his target. As soon as he finished and gets back, he yells, "The line is hot!" and starts picking up his rifle. Everyone, including me had a stupid look of surprise, astonishment, and curiosity, mixed with a little pissed-off, on our faces, but none of us corrected him. I'm not sure if he did it again, since I was leaving. I wonder who gave him his safety briefing? :dunno: :laugh:

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First off congrats on the new .22, they are a blast to shoot. Just stay away from rimfirecentral.com and midwayusa.com...every time I go to those site dollars tend to fly out of my wallet. :-)

Here is my take on the other issue; New folks need to be corrected when they make mistakes on the range, "cease fire" is a lot different than "going cold"...cease fire is stop now vs cold range is unload and on safe your firearm...an important distinction in my humble opinion.

If they messed up, tell them so politely and make our range as safe as possible. That's why I belong MCFG, I feel safe taking friends and family there to teach them how to handle and shoot firearms safely.

If someone gets offended by hearing they made a mistake, grow up. Safety first, egos dead last...

My $.02

-Drew

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You guys are right, I did screw up by not correcting the situation. But, it was kind of humorous looking at everyone's face when he did it. Also, I thing the main reason none of us said anything was because he had a lady with him and she knew he was screwing up, because she wouldn't even look up. Still, the correction should have been made.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah cease fire is definitely a different call, I was down at the north end when we had to call one once. When you are at the pistol end, be sure to look back all the way down to the 100 yard line :eek:

Unfortunately I haven't made it out since early August or so. Any pics of the new bays? How many are there and how deep are they? What are the rules for using them? Are they like ACC's where you could setup a IPSC/IDPA style COF (of course still following club rules on no drawing for a holster)?

Another random side note, the construction is nasty on this side of town but it is kinda interesting to see that sound wall being put up on the west side of 465. God forbid if a round left the range it might help stop it.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I'm absolutely loving the new shooting bunkers. Besides being able to shoot while events are going on (huge positive). I can now take my wife shooting without shelling out $35 for a babysitter and watching the clock the entire time.

We enjoyed a 1.5 hour outing last night. Toward the end a gentleman drove over and had a similiar report as yours Anthony. While the line was cold he heard us shooting and was surprised.

I'm kind of surprised the gunfire is heard "well" from the bunkers. I find it much more quite in there then on the line.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Anthony, there are forms by the sign-in sheet for just this type of occurrence! ;) MCFG is a great place and the membership is what makes it great. We depend on the members to police the range and each other since we don't have a staffed RO position. Don't be afraid to correct another member if he/she is violating any rules, and also don't be afraid to use the safety violation report forms by the sign-in sheets.

As for the new shooting bays,
    THEY ARE OPEN :ar15: and ready for your enjoyment! The same rules apply to the bays that apply to the main range, with one noted exception, no aerial targets are to be used in the bays.
    As for setting up "stages" in the bays, just be courteous to other members. Don't "hog" an entire bay for your own enjoyment, especially during times when the main range is closed. Each bay can safely accommodate approximately 5 shooters from a common firing line.

Be safe, and enjoy the range! I'll be posting a full report and pictures of the new facility sometime this coming week!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good choice on the 10/22 Anthony. I bought a basic model and swore I was not going to "accessorize". Next thing I know, it has a Draganov stock, a red/green sight and a couple of 20 round magazines. I chalk the whole thing up to weak character.

The new range got me, too. And, I even stopped to talk to Jim when I saw him setting up on it. About 20 minutes later, I'm starting to walk down range and I hear the shot. I'm instantly on my face and looking around when I hear another. Then I remembered the new range. Thankfully, I didn't stain my shorts! What can I say, short attention span.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Hey! Quite down on the bays open report ;-) LOL

BTW I've already had to pick up someone's fast food wrappers in a bay... Grrrrrrr.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    That's great news about the new bays being open. Looking forward to my next practice session.

When I first joined MCFG, they had a guy at the board meeting who had not followed club rules and decided to suspend his membership for 60 days. I thought the way the board handled the situation was really good and displayed an attitude that the rules will be followed.

If someone doesn't know the rules, it's our job as members to politely shed some light on the situation. That guy will be back to irritate more members next time, but besides being uniformed, you probably saw part of his everyday narcisstic demeanor. I know on my first several range sessions, I was a complete observer and was following everyone's lead...never would I have come in and just shut down the range to put up my target. Wouldn't do it then, wouldn't do it today. Kind of tells me that this is his everyday attitude and wasn't the first time this guy had been at MCFG.

Que's experience of a round going off reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer out there. A buddy of mine and I had just arrived at the range while it was "cold". There were 2 rifle shooters putting up targets at the north end and we were just setting down our gun bags at the south end. Suddenly, BANG!!, a round goes off in close proximity to us. We looked at each other and at the other shooters...they were yelling the range was cold and we raised our bags in the air and said our guns/ammo had not been taken out yet. Later went down to tell them we had no idea who fired off a round. It was on one of those 90+ degree days and we wondered if a round could actually go off by sitting in the sun or if one of us stepped on a .22 (but thought that was highly doubtful). Anyway, never did figure out where it came from, but sure scared the ^#&)$ out of us.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    One suggestion for the Bays, bring a portable table. I know there are plans for put Brenchrest tables; but, until that happens bring a table. Oh also no target stand so bring one of those also. I made mine out of PVC and it was easy.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Bays are crappy and should not be used by anyone but me and Jim....preferably using his steel targets.
    :whistle:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    It should look like this when its done. minus the stippling.

100_1345.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have attempted on many occasions to use the proper commands to call the line "cold" as outlined in 6.3.2, but nobody understands "Clear!" So, everyone goes with the "Can we go cold!?" or some version of that. Since I've done this, I guess I'm just as guilty as "that guy".

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been known to take a walk down to the other end of the range and have a VERY ASSERTIVE conversation about range commands. Usually right in front of the sign that DOCUMENTS them. There is no excuse for not using the proper range commands when other shooters are present. This is my one pet-peeve about MCFG membership.

Next time I can make a meeting, I'm going to bring up the possibility of installing a VISUAL indicator to show the intent to clear the line. I like Atterbury's red rotating signal lights and think that could help the situation.

(Oh - and the bays rule)

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom