• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think I must be due for a new carry belt. My current one is an MTac Kydex reinforced belt that has always been great, and is still great for mid-size or smaller guns. But, if I try to carry OWB with a full size gun, I have to wear it very tightly to keep the gun from moving around a bit. Tight enough that I end the day with a back ache. Or, maybe I need to switch to a lighter full size gun than my 48+ oz loaded railed 1911. I could trim about 10 ounces from the gun by switching to a Glock 21 (and add 5 rounds too), but I shoot the 1911 better.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I use a 5.11 belt with TR Holsters OWB holsters and mag carriers. I use a Desantis Intruder when I carry IWB, which is not too often. I carry anything from my G42 all the way up to my G21SF in these rigs and other than pulling my pants up every now and again, I am very comfortable throughout the day. I am thinking of adding some type of suspender so I won't have to pull up my pants periodically. Maybe some Mork suspenders.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A fresh one? Mine is about 7 years old and has lost a bit of the original stiffness.

That tends to happen as the years drag on.

Though 7 years old may be a bit young.

I was thinking late 30s / early 40s is when dudes generally begin to lose a bit of original stiffness.

Good news, though. There are a few different pills one can take that are supposed to help.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We have opposite problems

We might had I been accurate in my statement. Do we believe what I wrote? No, we do not!

My doughy midsection absorbs my full sized pistols not unlike a memory foam pillow.

My squishy middle accepts full sized pistols like a SillyPutty engulfing a thumb.

You are either talking about my belly, or my machine of love. Not sure....

Hush, you!

That tends to happen as the years drag on.

Though 7 years old may be a bit young.

I was thinking late 30s / early 40s is when dudes generally begin to lose a bit of original stiffness.

Good news, though. There are a few different pills one can take that are supposed to help.

Wait . . . WHAT??!!

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I occasionally carry a p226 iwb. The same pant size works. Generally, I wear a button down shirt untucked with the gun between 4-5 o'clock on my hip. The hardest part of it is keeping the grip from sticking out. It's not always the most comfortable gun to carry that way, but I can deal with it.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    If you don't mind open carry or it doesn't interfere with your life style go full size. In fall or winter a second untucked shirt over a tee shirt allows me to concealed carry a 1911 or cz75 or smith 686 with 6" barrel. It can be done with good belt and holster and proper wardrobe selection.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    I sometimes IWB a P226; I exclusively use Multi-Holster IWB/OWB Kydex holsters. It is possible to IWB a large pistol with a good holster, it is a bit cumbersome though. Personally, I'd rather carry 4in pistols IWB, you get the best of both worlds that way, better accuracy and power than a subcompact, and still comfortable enough to IWB for long periods of time.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    LM nailed the most important part.

A QUALITY belt and holster are paramount.

You can get by with a "lesser" holster if your belt is QUALITY. Invest in a good belt purpose-designed for hanging a gun/holster and a mag carrier off of it. Note: You'll not find this at Walmart, Sears, KMart, Target, Meijer, etc. Look into the SuperBio Belt from Daltech force for a budget friendly one. Or a 5.11 Casual belt for a touch more coin. I have a 5.11 that I wear occasionally and it's swell. However, my main belt is a bull hide belt from The Beltman. Not really budget friendly as far as initial cost goes - but it's saved me from buying 3-4-5 $20 department store belts....which have equaled the cost.

Holster: Get good ones. I'm partial to thermoplastic ones made from either Kydex or Boltaron. I have wares from both Raven Concealment Systems and from Henry Holsters. For MY dollar, Raven has pretty much out-priced themselves. Henry Holsters are a Bloomington, IN area company, a heck of a good dude, and makes FANTASTIC kit. There are also about 1,000,000 other holster makers in the world. :D

To conceal a gun: you have to dress around the gun. Want to wear IWB with a tucked-in shirt? That's a whole other ballgame than carrying OWB and pulling a hoodie down over the holster. For IWB, I suggest a "hybrid" style holster. A Kydex holster mounted on a leather backer for comfort. Lots of folks make these in various styles. You must have pants big enough and a belt big enough, however. Pants big enough to carry a FS gun + hybrid holster will probably be too big to wear without that rig so attached. Keep that in mind. It may honestly require buying a few pair of britches that are only used to carry IWB. I don't carry much IWB because I'm fluffy and I don't want to spend the coin on buying several more pairs of shorts and pants. But that's just me.

Thanks for this post. I've been needing to get a better belt and think you have pointed me in the right direction. I will also be looking into Henry Holsters. I like supporting local small business whenever possible.

Woody

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    It's a good time of year to consider carrying a full size gun since jackets & coats make it easy to conceal even if you carry OWB.
    +1 on the quality belt & holster.
    I have a 511 leather gun belt and it's great. Your back will thank you if you have it on all day.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a 511 leather gun belt and it's great.

You are you...and I am me, but my 5.11 leather belt can't hold a candle to my Beltman.

My 5.11 is for the rare instances I carry IWB - so I can take advantage of the inward pressure of the belt on my giggly mass to make up for the lack of stiffness in the belt.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I carried a 5" M&P pro 9 MM for a while.....also a S&W Model 66 .357. Now i am carrying a 1911 in .45. Sometimes I open carry, sometimes CC. Jsut depends. But at 6'5" it isn't too hard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom