• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    This is my course review for Full Contact Gun Fighting taught by Aaron Little. This course was from 7/22/2017-7/23/2017 in Lexington, KY. The gear I used for this course was a Glock 19 blue gun, SOE belt, NSR C-4 holster, mouthpiece, and a Clinchpick trainer fixed blade knife. This course required no live ammunition.

I first met Aaron Little at Tactical Response during a rifle class. During the class, I began to talk with him about my experiences with another combatives class, and he mentioned that I should take his class, Full Contact Gun Fighting. A few months later, I had signed up for this course, but I still didn’t know what to expect or how it would compare to the other firearms combatives courses that I have taken. In short, this course far exceeded my expectations.

Day one started out with brief introductions but quickly went into what I have noticed that seem to be the basics of firearm combatives classes: drawstroke, pummel drills, and how to take the back of your opponent. In other words, how to effectively grapple while standing. Aaron would show a technique, let us practice that technique with a cooperative opponent, and then practice that same technique with a non-cooperative opponent. This would be the flow of the entire class.

As day one progressed and even into day two, we began to learn basic take down techniques, standing back escapes, striking techniques, and knife defenses. I would say that before the middle of day two, we had learned most of the “curriculum” of this class. As it started to rain on day two, we began to drill with the other students with all of the things we had learned. And by drill, I mean we were fighting each other. From time to time, Aaron would stop everyone and remind us to utilize a certain technique or point out how a student had been successful, but in reality-this course was just endless amounts of fighting each other. Aaron reminded us several times throughout both days that if you want to be better at fighting, you have to fight.

I learned so much from this course. I learned that not every fight is a gunfight. I learned that being able to think clearly during a fight is probably the most important skill you can develop. I learned how important a fixed blade fighting knife can be. I learned that fighting a live and resisting opponent is the best way to get better at fighting. I learned that firearms combative training is just as essential as any other type of survival training. I learned that my BJJ experience served me well, as most of the fights eventually went to the ground. Most importantly, I began to better understand how I react and handle myself under stress. I learned what I am good at during a fight and what I need to work on.

To say that I simply recommend this course is an understatement. To say that I recommend this “style” of combatives training would be an understatement. I’ve taken two other firearms combatives courses and Full Contact Gun Fighting was a great addition to my skillset.

If you carry a gun, you need this kind of training. If you are serious about carrying a gun, you need to take Full Contact Gun Fighting.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Alright, good AAR. Can you tell us more about the drills? We're they driving specific skills or just free fighting?

What were the other two classes? I'm assuming one is ECQC.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Can you share your BJJ background and how it helped you? It sounds like you had an opportunity to test your skills in a way that's a bit different than a dedicated BJJ environment. How did those skills translate in your scenarios? Is there anything you have practiced on the mats that you would do differently in a real situation after taking this class?

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Alright, good AAR. Can you tell us more about the drills? We're they driving specific skills or just free fighting?

What were the other two classes? I'm assuming one is ECQC.

The drills generally started from standing with a "neutral" grip-meaning you grab my arm and I grab your arm. Some of the drills started from specific positions (ie taking someone's back to learn how to work the escape).

The other two combatives classes I have taken are ECQC and The Complete Combatant with Brian Hill.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Can you share your BJJ background and how it helped you? It sounds like you had an opportunity to test your skills in a way that's a bit different than a dedicated BJJ environment. How did those skills translate in your scenarios? Is there anything you have practiced on the mats that you would do differently in a real situation after taking this class?

Great questions. I feel like I could write an entirely separate review of how BJJ prepared me for these types of classes.
    I have been training BJJ for almost a year. It has helped me not only on the ground, but even with the stand up game. Being able to feel the other persons movements and momentum is critical when grappling with someone.

The skills I felt like transferred pretty well. I am trying not to brag because I have such a low level of BJJ experience, but I truly felt that my BJJ experience set me far apart from most of the other students. When the fight went to the ground (and it almost always did) I was very comfortable. At times it even felt like cheating. I knew once I got it to the ground, I could get the better position, and then get a gun or fixed blade out. If you don't have the position, drawing the gun is pointless. BJJ teaches you how to get the dominant position. I have no other martial arts experience at all.

I feel like everything I train in BJJ was transferable. Some people would say that BJJ isn't practical because there is no tapping out on the street. While I would somewhat agree, BJJ teaches you how to get the dominant position. If I am able to apply a submission or even attempt a submission, the way for you to escape it generally gives me a dominant position. Aside from that, learning how to choke someone several different ways is always beneficial. During ECQC I was able to get the dominant position and eventually shoot 15 sim rounds into a guy who had trained the past 30 years in Kempo Karate. I had less than 6 months of BJJ at the time. I was sold on BJJ from that point on.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Great questions. I feel like I could write an entirely separate review of how BJJ prepared me...

Thanks for the thorough response! I've been training BJJ for a little over a year and was interested to hear your experience. BJJ, and every other form of martial art, will always have its doubters. It's encouraging to hear your positive results outside of the BJJ gym.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The other two combatives classes I have taken are ECQC and The Complete Combatant with Brian Hill.[/QUOTE]

I plan to attend ECQC at some point in the near future and now I'm considering taking this course with Aaron as well. Would you suggest taking one before the other as you've done both or does it matter?

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    The other two combatives classes I have taken are ECQC and The Complete Combatant with Brian Hill.

I plan to attend ECQC at some point in the near future and now I'm considering taking this course with Aaron as well. Would you suggest taking one before the other as you've done both or does it matter?[/QUOTE]

I would suggest taking The Complete Combatant, ECQC, and the Full Contact Gun Fighting in that order.

The Complete Combatant is a good into type of course to this kind of training. ECQC goes over a lot of concepts in detail and Full Contact Gun Fighting is just a bunch of practice at the skills youve learned in the previous two classes.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest taking The Complete Combatant, ECQC, and the Full Contact Gun Fighting in that order.

The Complete Combatant is a good into type of course to this kind of training. ECQC goes over a lot of concepts in detail and Full Contact Gun Fighting is just a bunch of practice at the skills youve learned in the previous two classes.[/QUOTE]

Did you go to GA for the Complete Combatant or were you able to take the course locally?

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County

The Complete Combatant is a good into type of course to this kind of training. ECQC goes over a lot of concepts in detail and Full Contact Gun Fighting is just a bunch of practice at the skills youve learned in the previous two classes.

I drove to Marietta GA for The Complete Combatant. I don't think they do traveling classes. It's worth the drive.

Did you go to GA for the Complete Combatant or were you able to take the course locally?[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom