• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    I was told recently by a local gun dealer (who admittedly has a vested interest in this question) that FTF purchases are illegal. As one who owns several guns purchased FTF, this is naturally a concern.

Can someone please verify or debunk this for me?

Thanks,

Steve.43

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    FTF must be with an Indiana resident only. - Ask to see a drivers license.

Also, you must not "believe" the person buying the gun is a felon or otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm.

Private sales are completely legal in Indiana.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like the local dealer is trying to get a little more business in transfer fees. FTF is perfectly legal in IN, unless you have any doubt as to the persons legal ability to own firearms. Some people feel safer going to an FFL, as a way to confirm a persons background.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Sounds like the local dealer is trying to get a little more business in transfer fees. FTF is perfectly legal in IN, unless you have any doubt as to the persons legal ability to own firearms. Some people feel safer going to an FFL, as a way to confirm a persons background.

Also, I've heard of some people asking to see the buyer's LTCH if available, as it helps to prove that they don't have a record.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sounds like OP is dealing with just another ignorant FFL. Unlike LEO, which have to know a very broad selection from the I.C., FFLs only have to know GUN LAWS. In IN, there's hardly anything any more stringent than the Federal laws anyhow (no SBS, for example)

IMO, there's just no excuse for an FFL not knowing the laws.

But, it also might be that the FFL in this story is being purposefully dishonest for financial gain. (akin to FFLs trying to charge sales tax on the firearm during a transfer)

Also, I've heard of some people asking to see the buyer's LTCH if available, as it CAN help prove that they don't have a record, but it's not at all fool-proof as A) they're extremely easy to fake, and B) might've committed & been convicted after having rec'd the pink paper

FIFY ;)

-J-

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I had my second ftf this morning. We both showed indiana Id and ltch. Best deals to be found are FACE TO FACE. :twocents:
    Why can no one take me at me word that I am a proper person? I have seen at least 3 firearms in the classified that I would have purchased for the asking price but the seller wanted an LTCH so I did not even bother contacting them.

Guess I should take my old pepto bismal piece of paper and change the date to make some people happy.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . .IMO, there's just no excuse for an FFL not knowing the laws.

But, it also might be that the FFL in this story is being purposefully dishonest for financial gain. . .

+1. And neither option is flattering for the FFL in question.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Why can no one take me at me word that I am a proper person? I have seen at least 3 firearms in the classified that I would have purchased for the asking price but the seller wanted an LTCH so I did not even bother contacting them.

Guess I should take my old pepto bismal piece of paper and change the date to make some people happy.

I wasnt the one who mentioned showing ltch on the transaction, he offered it up. But after I thought about it, I felt better knowing the guy i traded my pistol to for a rifle was legally able to have it. Now if he goes out and commits a crime with it and the gun comes back on me, I can say he had a license to carry. So in my knowledge the state gave him that permit because he wasnt a convicted felon which makes him a swell guy in my book:D But honestly, how am I to know who is a wanted man and who isnt? Most of us on this forum have ltch but how many of us r wanted right now? Its a pain in the ass to ask for and provide but, its the privlage of a upstanding citizen to provide proof. If I hadnt asked the guy for his ltch permit and just straight up asked him if he was legally able to own a firearm and he lied would I be liable?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I wasnt the one who mentioned showing ltch on the transaction, he offered it up. But after I thought about it, I felt better knowing the guy i traded my pistol to for a rifle was legally able to have it. Now if he goes out and commits a crime with it and the gun comes back on me, I can say he had a license to carry. So in my knowledge the state gave him that permit because he wasnt a convicted felon which makes him a swell guy in my book:D But honestly, how am I to know who is a wanted man and who isnt? Most of us on this forum have ltch but how many of us r wanted right now? Its a pain in the ass to ask for and provide but, its the privlage of a upstanding citizen to provide proof. If I hadnt asked the guy for his ltch permit and just straight up asked him if he was legally able to own a firearm and he lied would I be liable?

No. That's a period.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Even if you sell to an improper person unknowingly, expect to pay thousands in lawyer fees proving your innocence.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing you will be put through the system, all I'm saying is expect it.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Exchange receipts is also a good idea. Provides a paper trail to protect both parties.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm guessing it was some idiot working for the king idiot(Don Da_ _s) that told you this? That guy has been making all kinds of waves trying to push for NICS checks on EVERY gun sale. I don't know why, but Carl Brisi seems to take this idiots word as the gospel about all things gun related. I can't believe all the free ad time they give him on WIBC. I've told him he was an idiot to his face and would do it again if the opportunity presents itself (Don gets pretty hot under the collar when you call him out and even likes to throw threats around) it is always entertaining.

Rant off.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    FTF must be with an Indiana resident only. - Ask to see a drivers license.

Private sales are completely legal in Indiana.

Also, I've heard of some people asking to see the buyer's LTCH

Exactly those ^.
    It covers a couple bases to ask for them both...
    1) Driver's license is proof of Indiana residency and age (if selling a handgun, do the math and make SURE they are 21!)
    2) LTCH shows they've done the background thing, and ALSO that they are legal to transport it (I'm not sure if FTF is covered in the "To and from a place of purchase or repair" thing... somebody else can jump in there and decipher that).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Exactly those ^.
    It covers a couple bases to ask for them both...
    1) Driver's license is proof of Indiana residency and age (if selling a handgun, do the math and make SURE they are [STRIKE]21[/STRIKE] 18!)
    2) LTCH shows they've done the background thing, and ALSO that they are legal to transport it (I'm not sure if FTF is covered in the "To and from a place of purchase or repair" thing... somebody else can jump in there and decipher that).

Fixed age and yes, they are excepted to transport unloaded and in secure wrapper from place of purchase even without LTCH.

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, ...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom