• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Have one hundred grape vines -Between the Japanese Beatles - fungicide -Herbicide -And Maintenance I have given up. --It is sad I can buy pressed juice from Italy and California, pressed in six-gallon pails. Cheaper than I can grow my own. And at #15 of grapes to make a gallon of wine and handling it six times at 72 I went that way. Wine making is for the young and strong.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Have one hundred grape vines -Between the Japanese Beatles - fungicide -Herbicide -And Maintenance I have given up. --It is sad I can buy pressed juice from Italy and California, pressed in six-gallon pails. Cheaper than I can grow my own. And at #15 of grapes to make a gallon of wine and handling it six times at 72 I went that way. Wine making is for the young and strong.
    We have concord and some sort of white grape vines on the family farm that have been there long before I was born. My last living great aunt was the last one to pick bushels of grapes to toss in the presser canner to make juice concentrate to drink. My brother will walk by them and just grab a handful to est while hes walking by.
    Growing up one of my great uncles would pick for 3-4 hrs a day between milking and his sisters would wash, blanch or what was needed for weeks at end canning for the winter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My wife is a Japanese beatle killing machine. In the past few weeks only killing a dozen or so a day but before that the water red solo cup with soap she knocks them into was full every day.
    they love the grapes her flowers with large leaves and for some reason the sunflowers when they were small but now they are leaving them alone or she has killed all of them.

I also have been seeing lots of little wasps around and I think they are the ones that do the “alien“ movie thing on insects.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My cherries were down some due to the freeze. Surprisingly the pears trees may start losing limbs from the volume. The one apple I have left is very light as well.
    I came across a few big fabric bags to use next year if they are needed. I bet thats a PIA to put on. Luckily they are only about 3" caliber trees.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My wife is a Japanese beatle killing machine. In the past few weeks only killing a dozen or so a day but before that the water red solo cup with soap she knocks them into was full every day.
    they love the grapes her flowers with large leaves and for some reason the sunflowers when they were small but now they are leaving them alone or she has killed all of them.

I also have been seeing lots of little wasps around and I think they are the ones that do the “alien“ movie thing on insects.
    I believe that you're west of me a bit, I have only seen a few young beatles so far and they were on my peach trees and my red and purple raspberry plants.
    I gave them the Dursban on the trees and dusted the plants.

Hows your dad doing? I really haven't been to any shows this year to see him.
    I always enjoy talking with him.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dad I doing well overall, just The hearing loss from factory work and the eyes from age. We still get to most of the Tipton shows when my work allows and sometimes a greenfield or Muncie if we have time to waist.

The wife will not let me dust anything in the main garden or use non organic fertilizer ect. So she really stepped up on the neem oil and knocking them into the cup. Asparagus Beatles I never noticed till this year must be the reason I am a year behind in my harvest of those tasty suckers. They are looking so much better this year when I found out what to look for on them. I think they might be harder to tackle that the JB’s. we did get hit with vine borers pretty good but I just plant that stuff over and over and deal with them in that way.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Dad I doing well overall, just The hearing loss from factory work and the eyes from age. We still get to most of the Tipton shows when my work allows and sometimes a greenfield or Muncie if we have time to waist.

The wife will not let me dust anything in the main garden or use non organic fertilizer ect. So she really stepped up on the neem oil and knocking them into the cup. Asparagus Beatles I never noticed till this year must be the reason I am a year behind in my harvest of those tasty suckers. They are looking so much better this year when I found out what to look for on them. I think they might be harder to tackle that the JB’s. we did get hit with vine borers pretty good but I just plant that stuff over and over and deal with them in that way.
    I'm glad to hear hes doing well. My Thing 2 always asks after I go to a show if I talked to your dad. Please tell him we said Hello.
    AGHHH asparagus. One of my neighbors sprays lawns for a living over sprayed into one of my beds this spring and it looks like he killed about 3/4 of my asparagus. I think i'm just gonna roto till that bed up in the spring and just buy roots and do it all again.
    Now with saying that have you or any other members here, ever grown from seeds?
    A few years in the trash.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Good year so far for the gardener's fruit trees, a result of there being few survivors of the Great Squirrel War of 23-24. Grapes took a hit early from black rot so 24 will be a small year for wine. Have three gallons of strawberry wine this year from an abundance of those.

View attachment 366455View attachment 366456
    Interesting my Concords look good, but the two non Concord varieties have what I believe is black rot as well.

I've read the Purdue Extension Pamphlet on grapes a couples of times, but haven't found what I need. How is the black rot stopped/contained?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We have concord and some sort of white grape vines on the family farm that have been there long before I was born. My last living great aunt was the last one to pick bushels of grapes to toss in the presser canner to make juice concentrate to drink. My brother will walk by them and just grab a handful to est while hes walking by.
    Growing up one of my great uncles would pick for 3-4 hrs a day between milking and his sisters would wash, blanch or what was needed for weeks at end canning for the winter.
    I LOVE concords. Grew up eating the neighbor's. LOL

If you want to sell any, let me know. I havent seen them in stores since before covid.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm glad you got pears, my two peach and two pears both got the frost this spring. second year in a row with no fruit.
    We seem to get one good crop of peaches about every 4 or 5 seasons. There are a few this year, ones that were most protected from frost. Not enough to do anything with though.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We seem to get one good crop of peaches about every 4 or 5 seasons. There are a few this year, ones that were most protected from frost. Not enough to do anything with though.
    Yea, its disappointing for sure. I hope to pay better attention next spring to the weather forecast.

Top Bottom