• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have a couple of older guns that have stock bolts that absolutely will not turn. Both are flat head screws. I have tried PB blaster, tapping the screwdriver with a hammer and using a tire tool. If I apply any more force I will strip the screw heads. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for loosening a frozen stock bolt?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Depending on what it is, and how large the screws are - an impact driver(the kind you smack with a hammer) will generally get it done, but you'll certainly sacrifice the appearance of the screw.

If you need to borrow one, let me know.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i have had a couple older guns give me this problem in the past.i always set the gun upside down and heavily coat the screw with wd-40 or pb blaster.let it soak overnight by next morning it should bust loose for you.i always take my flathead screwdriver get it on the screw then take an adjustable wrench and put it about have way on the screwdriver,give it a couple good cranks and it busts loose everytime.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Makes and Models

One is a Winchester 97 that I just got and the other is a Savage Model 99 that I've had for a long time. I've tried using a ratchet with an extension on the Savage, I've let both guns soak overnight with PB blaster. No luck. Both models require removal of the stock to really clean them, especially the savage. Next time I travel up north I may be hitting up fireball to try his impact hammer.

Top Bottom