Front Sight Firearms Training Institute ?? Anyone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    An offer sent to me through USCCA got me to looking into Front Sight Firearms Training Institute out near Las Vegas, NV.

Does anyone have any first- or second-hand knowledge of their facility? I just watched their free 90-minute DVD, and it really looks like a top-notch outfit.

I was a bit skeptical at first, due to the "looks to go to be true" offer. But the DVD sure made it look legitimate and well planned. Their classes aren't cheap, and memberships are even more expensive, but their business model sure makes sense.

If you're not familiar with them, I'd at least take a look at the DVD. You can get a free copy sent to you using this form: https://www.frontsight.com/store/freedvd.aspx?subscribe=yes

Any thoughts/opinions/reviews would be greatly appreciated!

hkhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    :hijack:

I think I remember hearing about someone getting killed on their ropes course about a year ago. Sorry I have no first hand knowledge but I signed up for email info from them and they were relentless with their marketing. Had to cancel the subscription.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    My uncle makes at least one trip a year. I've heard nothing but good things about the facility and training. He and his shooting partner have always had a blast there and I have an open invitation with him to go whenever I have a pistol to bring.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've heard a good review of them over on the USCAA forum, however it appears they constantly pressure you to buy more stuff while you are there. They spend as much, if not more time trying to sell you things than they do teaching. I guess Ignatius Piazza also gives a crap ton of money to Scientology.

The guy on the USCAA forum though realled liked his training from the sounds of it.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    The guy who sat next to me at the Gunsite training this week had also been to Frontsite before. He said he liked the training but that they worked you pretty hard to buy a membership (almost like "I have a timshare you might be interested in"). He said it wouldn't keep him from recommending them to people to try but it was enough of that that he has looked elsewhere for his subsequent training.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    An acquaintance attended FS a couple years ago; his impressions were NOT good. Not only because of the mandatory sales seminar (here's an article where some folks weren't happy with what they were sold: Another big shot Scientologist getting sued for fraud - Ignatius Piazza - Front Sight Firearms), but because a lot of the tactics taught at FS just sucked, as in, would get you killed if you tried them in a non-training environment. And he had been to other known shooting schools in the past, so he had a good frame of reference in which to evaluate the "lessons" of Front Sight.

FWIW.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I know a person who had zero knowledge of firearms and came out with great form and knowledge. They base their courses on not being just for military/ law enforcement but "ordinary " citizens. Less of a boot camp setting is what i have heard.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I wish Front Sight had an east coast operation... and in fact I contacted Piazza himself and asked if they had any plans for one and he said possibly in the distant future. :( Who wants to fly out to Vegas... who can AFFORD to fly out to Vegas, by God I could buy an AR for that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know a few people who have been there, read a lot of accounts of people who have been there. My impression is that the actual firearms training is pretty good.

I choose not to patronize people who subscribe to "Scientology," however. Front Sight could be the best school in the country and it wouldn't sway me on that.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wish Front Sight had an east coast operation... and in fact I contacted Piazza himself and asked if they had any plans for one and he said possibly in the distant future. :( Who wants to fly out to Vegas... who can AFFORD to fly out to Vegas, by God I could buy an AR for that.
    Flights to Vegas are running $198 round trip, I booked one two weeks ago. As far as Front Sight, cults don't do much for me, good training or not, if I'm going to NV, Suarez Intl. would be better spent money IMHO.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’ll throw my 2 cents in here. I have some first hand, second hand, and some third hand experience.

My first hand experience was many, many moons ago when they were first starting up operations. Like many instructors out there, I received a letter inviting me to interview (as such) for a position with Front Sight. I responded, and things progress. As we were moving through the process, some things just didn’t set right with me. These guys were absolutely adamant that I must teach only the “Front Sight” way. When I asked them what happened if a student couldn’t perform using their way, I was told that that just couldn’t happen because their methods were developed from years of training and expertise. Case in point, at the time, they were adamant that I had to teach students the weaver stance, I asked what about cops that wear body armor, sometimes the cut and make of the armor preclude that stance from working effectively (besides the tactical ramifications of presenting the soft spot to the target). I was told that the officer would have to be instructed to get new armor that would allow this stance. Ok, I’ll bite off this argument, so I responded what about a “well endowed” female student, should we instruct her to get plastic surgery so she can shoot like us? Needless to say, the conversation, and the application process tapered off quickly from that point on. I will say, this was not all my doing. I had been prepped by some other instructor friends that had also started the process and were put off by the whole deal.

My second hand experience consists of multiple contacts with Front Sight graduates both as a fellow student in other classes, and as an instructor. My impressions have always been that the students were decent shots, and often quick, but lacked a real understanding of the application of their skills. Additionally, there seemed to be a lot of range specific baggage in their technique that most instructors I know have long since left behind.

My third hand experience comes from two places. The first is the numerous lawsuits that have been filed against both Front Sight and Piazza himself. Their all over the web just Google it and you’ll get lots of nasty details. The second source is a friend that attended a carbine course with Piazza himself. During the brass call on training day one, Piazza was seen packing up his things and getting ready to leave. When he was asked if he was going to help collect brass, the response from him was that that wasn’t worth his time, he had people to do that for him. Rumor has it that he wondered why his range bag smelled funny the rest of the week while all the other students relieved themselves in it every time he walked away, but that’s just and unsubstantiated rumor :):.

I believe a dedicated student could probably gain some value from their training. I’ve always said that you can gain at least something from every class you take, but the average, or below average student will probably struggle and not get their monies worth. For me, the ethics of the owner would prevent me from giving him a dime even if I didn’t have the earlier experiences with them.

Tinman….

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Flights to Vegas are running $198 round trip, I booked one two weeks ago. As far as Front Sight, cults don't do much for me, good training or not, if I'm going to NV, Suarez Intl. would be better spent money IMHO.

Airfare, lodging, transportation, eating out... it all adds up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Given all the options for profesional instruction that are available, I'm not seeing why someone would want to go there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Unless I find someone to pick up the tab for me Classes are suspended for me. I will be getting laid off for about 45+ days. Love the economy!

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One of my co-workers/boss has a membership to Front Site and is there right now in fact. He offered me a certificate to attend the 2 or 4 day course for free, but I am a bit leary of the hard sales pitch they give. There is no way Im getting any membership there, but I would like the opportunity to get the training.

Top Bottom