• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know there's been endless discussion over the years here about firearm cleaning and various solvents and lubricants.

Let me say that I generally run my stuff more on the dry side than the wet or oily side. I try to follow manufacturer suggested lube points and keep my firearms extremely clean after each use. My regimen usually consists of using Hoppe's No. 9, CLP in the barrels, and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil.

I'm considering buying some Froglube to give it a try. I'm thinking to try the Froglube CLP Liquid Spray as my first foray into the product use. I know it's not cheap.

For those who use Froglube products, what do you suggest for someone like me. Also, is there a place around Indianapolis that sells it, or should I just order on the web?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Use it, love it. I haven't put it to 'hard use' yet but it serves the purpose I bought it for very well, which is cleaning and lubing EDC gun and all my knives.

I like not having poison on me at all times, yes I'm sure a little CLP on your EDC won't hurt but it smells good too! And it allows me to feel comfortable to flip out a knife at any time and use it for food prep :-D

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Cheapest place I was able to find it was Amazon. I works okay on my low maintenance plastic autoloaders which would run just as fine dry. Tried it on a revolver and ended up going back to Hoppe's and Weapon Shield as the Froglube didn't seem all that effective at cleaning or lubing.

I would recommend that you try one of the small sample pastes before dropping a lot of money on the stuff.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Premier Arms Brownsburg is a stocking dealer for Froglube. I use it on all of my AR's and I really like it. It seems to make clean up easier/quicker. When I first applied it I heated the parts a little and brushed it on. It flows nice and then hardens up a little and acts like grease. Once the weapon heats up it acts like oil. I really like it myself.

FWIW I purchased the paste. I use a small brush to apply it with.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I got mine through Amazon as I didn't know that anyone local had it.
    I ran a S&W M&P9 treated with FrogLube through the Gunsite pistol course at the Boone County Sheriff's dept a few months ago. No problems. 650+ rounds in 3 days. Cold night shoot. Each night I ran a patch down the barrel and just used a rag to wipe the gun down. GTG.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To say I like it would be an understatement. I've tried plenty of lubes out there over the years and generally speaking I've been happy with most of them. From what I've been using Frog lube on recently though I will say that it seems to work better and doesn't smell nasty.

For example. The first time I tried frog lube was on an ar-15 that I had just finished building. I took the rifle bone dry and worked the action a couple of times just to feel how rough it sounded and felt. Then I took a colt AR with thousands of rounds through it right there and I worked the action a few times just to feel how smooth it sounded and felt. Then I took my new build and frog lubed everything and once I was done it was felt and sounded smoother than the AR that had thousands of rounds through it. So does it do a good job of lubicating, yes.

Antoher example, last time I went to the range I didn't get a chance to clean that rifle right away when I got home. I only put about 150 rounds through the AR mentioned above, but with ordinary hoppes oil I'd have had to scrape nothing but dry crusty fouling off the the parts inside the gun. With the floglube I was surprised to see that instead of crusty fouling there was a greasy/oily coating on everything. Now, I'll admit any day of the week that I over lube my AR's and I make no apology for it, but every time I open up an AR that's been lubed with regular oil and wasn't cleaned right away it's a mess. With the froglube, it was so easy to wipe down and very little scraping.

Other oils out there are just fine, but the froglube is better. I look at it like a way to extend the useable life of my firearms. It's an incredible product and the icing on the cake is that it actually smells kinda nice. It's one of those products where it's almost too good to be true.

I use it on every gun I own now.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Been using for over a month. The first application was an easier process than I thought it would be. A cheap paintbrush and a hair dryer is all you would need beyond the normal. I would heat each component, heat the paste to liquify a bit, apply with paintbrush, and repeat with the next component. After finishing the first application, it feels like a totally different gun. It may be expensive, but a little goes a long way, it smells good, don't have to worry about getting it on your hands, towels, etc. I'm a fan.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    A lot of people like using the paste for the first couple of applications and the liquid for general clp use thereafter. The gun residue is a breeze to wipe off after the paste bonds to the metal/polymer.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just got mine today and used it on 2 of my semiauto pistols.

I used mostly paste for the first application and will continue to use it for the first few times.

Thanks to everyone here who suggested it.

Thought I'd mention also for you Indianapolis region guys, I saw it actually at Indy Trading Post right after I ordered some from the FrogLube website. There weren't many places listed on the website for FrogLube including ITP but they had quite a few products there including the paste, liquid,and wipes. :yesway:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I really like it. It works as a cleaner real well. I believe it makes cleaning easier once you put it on. I have heard it is not the best lube for ARs running hundreds of rounds between cleanings, but I am not that kind of shooter anyway. I would like to be, but the time/expense and range access are not as cheap and easy as I would like. The stuff is real good on carbon...real good!

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I use it and love it. Makes cleaning easy after the first application. Smells great too. 21st Century in Bluffton carries it.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    +1 for Rick at Adobe Premium Firearms in Carmel. He stocks the Froglube in all forms. Great guy to work with! He is frequently cleaning guns and just uses an old brush with the paste. Goes on easy and you don't waste a lot of product that way.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I've been using froglube on my guns for about 6 months now. Works great! Only problems I had was with a .22 rifle of mine that I did not wipe the extra froglube off of it. It wouldn't allow the bolt to go back far enough. Cleaned the excess off and it runs like a champ. Highly recommend Rick and Adobe as well. Great guy!

Top Bottom