Friends home broken into - Homeless man held at shotgun point!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Today was my friends birthday. He, the wife and my goddaughter got up, went to church, then breakfast before returning home.

When going to church all phones are put on silent. Sometime during breakfast they broke out the phones to turn the sound back on only to find multiple texts from their security company and a voicemail. Multiple alarms had gone off around the home and when they called in they found out police had been dispatched. The officer walked the perimeter and checked the doors. All were locked and no signs of forced entry, so off he went.

As they entered the home they turned the corner and realized someone had ripped from the wall the security panel, so they knew someone had been in. Immediately they started slowly checking around the home. My goddaughter realized that upstairs mommy and daddy's bedroom door was closed, so they were put on higher alert. My friend ordered the wife and daughter outside to call 911 while he went upstairs to retrieve the 12 gauge coachgun from the closet.

When he quietly opened the bedroom door he found a good Jesus twin sleeping in the bed. He reached up for the gun, loaded it, and about that time the uninvited guest started to awake. From what I hear the guy, upon seeing my friend with the double barreled shotgun told him he wasn't here to hurt anyone. He had a car run over his foot and came inside for help. My buddy explained he didn't want to hurt anyone either but his wife and daughter were downstairs and he wouldn't let anything happen to them. He advised the guy that the police were on their way and just to lay back down, which apparently the guy did!:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, my friends wife was on the phone with 911 explaining the situation and her husband inside with a shotgun. Dispatched asked her "if he had a license for that." I am so proud that she responded, "Of course he doesn't. He doesn't need one, it's a shotgun.":D So dispatch tells her to have him put the shotgun down when the police arrive. About this time he is coming out, lays the shotgun down, and the first female officer shows up. When she is told the guy was still inside she called for backup. I guess there were six (6) or seven (7) cars in all. They bring the guy out and in the process ask my buddy if he wants to press charges. They explain that he is mentally ill and they have had minor problems with him before. My buddy is feeling more magnanimous than I certainly would have been and told them he didn't want to press charges as no one was hurt and nothing important taken or damaged. He figured jail would do him no good and they'll never get a dime out of him so what's the point?:( After the fact we find out the police did not arrest him, they dropped him downtown at the homeless shelter.

My goddaughter then proceeds to go through everything and is initially upset that he stole a guinea pig. Not stolen, but hiding in a tube. She also discovers to her horror that he ate all the bananas and her Hershey bars. He also raided the milk from the fridge.

Now my friends have to go through the process of sterilizing all of their bedding for fleas, lice, bed bugs, etc.

The thing that ticks me off a bit is that I wasn't called by the security company when they weren't reached. I am their backup if they are unavailable. Had that happened I would have shown up, armed, and been able to let the first officer in - at which point I would have noticed the security panel damage and then done whatever the officer told me to. There would NOT have been a family coming home to a potentially dangerous situation. Of course, I'm also ticked that my friend didn't press charges either, but that's another story. I am kindof surprised that LE didn't at least arrest him for the B&E. (Can a kind LEO please elaborate slightly on this policy? I always thought it was the State and not the victims that actually presses charges.)

The reason there were no signs of forced entry was that my friends had been having a small amount of trouble with their front door lock so they weren't locking it!:xmad: I let them know what I thought of that!:nono::bash: I retold them of a thread on here a month or so back when a member talked about someone leaving the garage door open and had some things come up missing while they were home sleeping.

While I was there my goddaughter found a box of the homeless guys and it contained a diamond ring and some business cards. They called FWPD dispatch and a car came to pick up the box.

So we wound up celebrating his birthday with some Monte Cristo Monte cigars and him regaling me with his tale of excitement, and also that my goddaughter won 2nd place in the karate tournament after they were done with LE.

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a serious problem in our society....1st, nobody seems to be able to do their job as in the security company failing to cal you as they are supposed to do. I have been 2nd on 2 house locally and received calls on both when the primary was not reached.

2nd....this nut sack is a known B&E artist and they turned him loose to do this again. This is just wrong.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is a serious problem in our society....1st, nobody seems to be able to do their job as in the security company failing to cal you as they are supposed to do. I have been 2nd on 2 house locally and received calls on both when the primary was not reached.

2nd....this nut sack is a known B&E artist and they turned him loose to do this again. This is just wrong.

I agree entirely with the first point. I don't know that I communicated well - he IS a known homeless nut job from the east side of town. B&E I don't know about. If you read that then I might have mislead you. All I know was they said the police knew who he was and had "various" run ins before. However, it IS more than likely this wasn't his first home entry.

I am STILL P'OD with my friends for leaving their door unlocked!

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Today was my friends birthday. He, the wife and my goddaughter got up, went to church, then breakfast before returning home.

When going to church all phones are put on silent. Sometime during breakfast they broke out the phones to turn the sound back on only to find multiple texts from their security company and a voicemail. Multiple alarms had gone off around the home and when they called in they found out police had been dispatched. The officer walked the perimeter and checked the doors. All were locked and no signs of forced entry, so off he went.

As they entered the home they turned the corner and realized someone had ripped from the wall the security panel, so they knew someone had been in. Immediately they started slowly checking around the home. My goddaughter realized that upstairs mommy and daddy's bedroom door was closed, so they were put on higher alert. My friend ordered the wife and daughter outside to call 911 while he went upstairs to retrieve the 12 gauge coachgun from the closet.

When he quietly opened the bedroom door he found a good Jesus twin sleeping in the bed. He reached up for the gun, loaded it, and about that time the uninvited guest started to awake. From what I hear the guy, upon seeing my friend with the double barreled shotgun told him he wasn't here to hurt anyone. He had a car run over his foot and came inside for help. My buddy explained he didn't want to hurt anyone either but his wife and daughter were downstairs and he wouldn't let anything happen to them. He advised the guy that the police were on their way and just to lay back down, which apparently the guy did!:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, my friends wife was on the phone with 911 explaining the situation and her husband inside with a shotgun. Dispatched asked her "if he had a license for that." I am so proud that she responded, "Of course he doesn't. He doesn't need one, it's a shotgun.":D So dispatch tells her to have him put the shotgun down when the police arrive. About this time he is coming out, lays the shotgun down, and the first female officer shows up. When she is told the guy was still inside she called for backup. I guess there were six (6) or seven (7) cars in all. They bring the guy out and in the process ask my buddy if he wants to press charges. They explain that he is mentally ill and they have had minor problems with him before. My buddy is feeling more magnanimous than I certainly would have been and told them he didn't want to press charges as no one was hurt and nothing important taken or damaged. He figured jail would do him no good and they'll never get a dime out of him so what's the point?:( After the fact we find out the police did not arrest him, they dropped him downtown at the homeless shelter.

My goddaughter then proceeds to go through everything and is initially upset that he stole a guinea pig. Not stolen, but hiding in a tube. She also discovers to her horror that he ate all the bananas and her Hershey bars. He also raided the milk from the fridge.

Now my friends have to go through the process of sterilizing all of their bedding for fleas, lice, bed bugs, etc.

The thing that ticks me off a bit is that I wasn't called by the security company when they weren't reached. I am their backup if they are unavailable. Had that happened I would have shown up, armed, and been able to let the first officer in - at which point I would have noticed the security panel damage and then done whatever the officer told me to. There would NOT have been a family coming home to a potentially dangerous situation. Of course, I'm also ticked that my friend didn't press charges either, but that's another story. I am kindof surprised that LE didn't at least arrest him for the B&E. (Can a kind LEO please elaborate slightly on this policy? I always thought it was the State and not the victims that actually presses charges.)

The reason there were no signs of forced entry was that my friends had been having a small amount of trouble with their front door lock so they weren't locking it!:xmad: I let them know what I thought of that!:nono::bash: I retold them of a thread on here a month or so back when a member talked about someone leaving the garage door open and had some things come up missing while they were home sleeping.

While I was there my goddaughter found a box of the homeless guys and it contained a diamond ring and some business cards. They called FWPD dispatch and a car came to pick up the box.

So we wound up celebrating his birthday with some Monte Cristo Monte cigars and him regaling me with his tale of excitement, and also that my goddaughter won 2nd place in the karate tournament after they were done with LE.

Regards,

Doug

It's not that simple. Your friend essentially told officers it was ok for the mentally ill man to be there. That pretty much kills the notion of arrest and prosecution.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Mentally ill, but still with it enough to know how to disable the security panel?
    I smell something here, but it sure isn't innocence.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mentally ill, but still with it enough to know how to disable the security panel?
    I smell something here, but it sure isn't innocence.

Nope. I saw it chief. NO skill involved, simply RIPPED from the wall, then put nicely on the floor. My friends guess the noise it was making was disturbing his sleep. If I get over there before it is repaired I'll take a picture and post it.

My friend never claimed the guy was "innocent", only that he was in a very magnanimous a mood. WAY too magnanimous in my opinion.:xmad::(

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, the applicable charge would be burglary, as he entered the residence and committed theft (the food he ate). That's a level 4 felony under the new code. I'd have locked him up, and if he was mentally ill would have put an Immediate Detention on top of the arrest charges. Yeah, he may be found mentally incompetent by the courts, but that's on them, not me.

I've had very similar situations over the years, and if there was any property damage or theft off they go.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This sucks. And the only thing this perp has learned is be can break in to a house and get away with it. What if the had found the gun?? Lot of bad mistakes. From leaving the door unlocked, to not pressing charges. Hopefully this guy was scared enough to stay out of other peoples houses. If he is truly mental I doubt he will stop. And hopefully the guy won't hurt someone on his next adventure too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    It's not that simple. Your friend essentially told officers it was ok for the mentally ill man to be there. That pretty much kills the notion of arrest and prosecution.

See here..... Right here is why I like Johnny Law hanging out on INGO. I would have never thought of this even if it should be obvious. You see things in one light and it might not look good. One short snippet of wisdom from Kut and it all becomes crystal clear. Not only clear but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I always thought it was the State and not the victims that actually presses charges.)
    I thought the same thing that Libertarian01 thought on the above statement . I have herd officers called to domestic disputes and the wife say she was not pressing charges - but the officer say they were . I also know of a kid that was being a look out while another went into a house and took some cash , the kid that was the look out -went back a few days later and told the man what happen and gave him back his money . The man then called the cops and told them the story and said he wanted to drop it . That same day about 3 hours later they picked up the kid , that was the look out and said the state is pressing charges for B&E - That boy now has a felony .

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I always thought it was the State and not the victims that actually presses charges.)
    I thought the same thing that Libertarian01 thought on the above statement . I have herd officers called to domestic disputes and the wife say she was not pressing charges - but the officer say they were . I also know of a kid that was being a look out while another went into a house and took some cash , the kid that was the look out -went back a few days later and told the man what happen and gave him back his money . The man then called the cops and told them the story and said he wanted to drop it . That same day about 3 hours later they picked up the kid , that was the look out and said the state is pressing charges for B&E - That boy now has a felony .

You are correct, victims don't press charges. However, the state rarely (with the notable exception of DV instances) will press forward if the victim is uncooperative, or makes known they don't want prosecution.

As for your B&E story, there's obviously a bit more to it (I'm guessing he's wasn't an angel the other 364 days in the year). It's possible, but it's an exception.

Shadow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    You are correct, victims don't press charges. However, the state rarely (with the notable exception of DV instances) will press forward if the victim is uncooperative, or makes known they don't want prosecution.

As for your B&E story, there's obviously a bit more to it (I'm guessing he's wasn't an angel the other 364 days in the year). It's possible, but it's an exception.

It was my nephew - and no he had no run in with the law pryer .. He would not give up the name of the one that went into the house though and that did **** them off .

Shadow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Im not saying he was a angel . I thought for sure they would slap his hand and make it a misdemeanor -- Nope - full Bore Felony , 1 years time , 3 years probation .

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and we'll shake out heads and decry a breakdown in the "system" when this "mentally ill" person actually hurts someone. He needs to be in 'the system" for the "system" to even have a chance of doing anything.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was my nephew - and no he had no run in with the law pryer .. He would not give up the name of the one that went into the house though and that did **** them off .

Who would have figured participating in a burglary and then covering for the burglar would irritate people?

Top Bottom